Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 02-24-2024, 01:11 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,555 Times in 1,174 Posts

Eric:

Impressive.
Always hard to tell from pics on line.

I bought an over the counter high rise for a 69 Z/28 in 1976.

I kept it in a living room environment for about 25 years. It looked a lot like the manifold you just posted. When I would get it out to show guys, they were always shocked at how shiny it was.

I think the duller look we are used to seeing on "pristine" cars is patina from use. I think what you have done with that manifold is as close to perfect replication of the factory finish (based on my limited experience with one brand new manifold) as I have seen. My only reservation is that the studs also look silver. My manifold did not come with studs. I don't know if there is a way for you to keep the studs from turning silver in the process, that that would really set it off if they still looked natural steel.
Old 02-24-2024, 02:25 PM

After looking at 70-72 LT1 Vettes for over 25 years, restoring, driving and judging. The manifold looks good, but way over restored. Would be judged as such by NCRS.
Old 02-24-2024, 05:08 PM

I think it looks close to spot on to NOS manifolds I have had as well. It certainly will tone down a bit after being installed for awhile. Good work Eric and thanks for sharing. Are you using a cabinet? I have found that degrease, plastic media, garnet media, then real glass beads at very low pressure gives me the finish I am after. Just like painting a part, it is the prep that gets you the desired result. The aluminum has to be to "white metal" with no staining before glass beading, otherwise you are just putting a polish/seal on stains and contamination. There is more to it that that like grits and pressures but that is the general process I use for most manifolds.

Jason
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperNovaSS For This Useful Post:
olredalert (02-24-2024), VintageMusclecar (02-24-2024)
Old 02-24-2024, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKLS5 View Post
Eric, I'm not knocking your efforts but it looks like paint to me although it's not. Too much of a silver-chrome look IMO.
I thought the Same Thing , has kind of a fake look ?
!
Old 02-24-2024, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Eric, I'm not knocking your efforts but it looks like paint to me although it's not. Too much of a silver-chrome look IMO.

No offense taken, that's why I posted this, to get feedback--positive and negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Eric:

Impressive.
Always hard to tell from pics on line.

I bought an over the counter high rise for a 69 Z/28 in 1976.

I kept it in a living room environment for about 25 years. It looked a lot like the manifold you just posted. When I would get it out to show guys, they were always shocked at how shiny it was.

I think the duller look we are used to seeing on "pristine" cars is patina from use. I think what you have done with that manifold is as close to perfect replication of the factory finish (based on my limited experience with one brand new manifold) as I have seen. My only reservation is that the studs also look silver. My manifold did not come with studs. I don't know if there is a way for you to keep the studs from turning silver in the process, that that would really set it off if they still looked natural steel.

Part of the process is media blasting (not going into details obviously), and I didn't want to risk damaging the studs trying to remove them--getting the oil filler tube out was a big enough PITA as it was lol.

In this instance, the car (/manifold) isn't going to be judged any more, it's already been down that road. Since only the top of the studs are visible once the carb has been installed, I decided to leave them in. The owner has seen the intake and was very happy with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1vette View Post
After looking at 70-72 LT1 Vettes for over 25 years, restoring, driving and judging. The manifold looks good, but way over restored. Would be judged as such by NCRS.

Part of it is the lighting and the flash from the camera, both contribute to making it look a *little bit* shinier than it actually is--but it is pretty shiny. I also get the "over-restored" part, but that seems to be what the vast majority are looking for these days. (I shudder to think how a client would react in the event that I returned a "restored" carburetor to them that actually looked like it did when it was new--they'd likely have a fit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNovaSS View Post
I think it looks close to spot on to NOS manifolds I have had as well. It certainly will tone down a bit after being installed for awhile. Good work Eric and thanks for sharing. Are you using a cabinet? I have found that degrease, plastic media, garnet media, then real glass beads at very low pressure gives me the finish I am after. Just like painting a part, it is the prep that gets you the desired result. The aluminum has to be to "white metal" with no staining before glass beading, otherwise you are just putting a polish/seal on stains and contamination. There is more to it that that like grits and pressures but that is the general process I use for most manifolds.

Jason

Thanks Jason. My process involves several chemical cleaning steps along with media blasting as well, and the part definitely has to be 100% free of any foreign material and/or contaminants.

I was lucky in this instance in that the manifold hadn't been previously blasted with an overly aggressive media which as you know tends to pit these castings all to Hell and back--I don't think there's any other way to save one of those other than to cross your fingers and have it tumbled.

As the old saying goes, "you can't please everybody." I've had clients gripe at me because they thought their carbs were too shiny and iridescent after I'd restored it, and others gripe that they weren't shiny enough--and in both instances the carbs looked virtually the same lol.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VintageMusclecar For This Useful Post:
67since67 (02-25-2024), Big Block Bill (02-28-2024), dustinm (02-28-2024), olredalert (02-24-2024)
Old 02-24-2024, 05:43 PM

Here's a few pics of the assembled engine under different lighting.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to VintageMusclecar For This Useful Post:
RPOLS3 (02-28-2024)
Old 02-24-2024, 05:57 PM

Thanked 3,783 Times in 1,603 Posts

Quote:

Jason
----How do think walnut shell blasting would look? It did a great job on a set of American Racing real magnesium Torque Thrust D's that I have just finishing a rehab on!....Bill S
Old 02-24-2024, 06:00 PM

Walnuts and plastic work well to remove debris and surface corrosion but only touch the surface. They are great for cleaning original parts.

Eric,

67 L79 Chevelle?

Jason
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperNovaSS For This Useful Post:
olredalert (02-24-2024)
Old 02-24-2024, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Walnuts and plastic work well to remove debris and surface corrosion but only touch the surface. They are great for cleaning original parts.

Eric,

67 L79 Chevelle?

Jason

Yep, Richard's engine I just finished up (the build I posted on my FB page).
The Following User Says Thank You to VintageMusclecar For This Useful Post:
RPOLS3 (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Agree with this post.