Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 02-09-2018, 02:31 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,169 Posts
Default Machine shop cracked a piston

Asking what you would do.

I bought an Opel GT 1.1 as a basket case. Car has been apart since 1974. Other than the battery tray and a small rust through under the battery tray (already repaired and painted), it is rust free, and definitely worth saving. I even made a new friend in Germany who works for Opel, and he sent me a copy of what we would refer to here as the "build sheet" confirming that I have the original engine for the car. Also got another spare engine with the car.

The engine rebuild was interrupted by my recent cancer surgery but is getting back on track.

I have dealt with this machine shop for three generations. They have always done great work for me.

I had the block decked, the head shaved, valve seats cut for new valves, new pistons installed on the rods, crank polished (still std. all around) and the rotating assy balanced. Going to see if I can get 50 mph out of this little car. Only weighs 1800 pounds complete (until I get my fat arse in there).

Anyway, started putting the engine together last week. Saw that the rods and pistons were installed backwards. Took them back to the machine shop. Owner was very apologetic and said most late model stuff has any id marks on pistons and rods pointing the same direction. On these, the arrow on the piston points forward, the notch in the rod cap points to the rear of the engine. No big deal. He agreed to swap them for me.

Picked them up and started to put it together last night. Noticed that all the pistons had some scratches. They had no scratches last week. Was able to clean them up with scotch pads for the most part. However, one of the skirts has a crack in it. It is on the side, so not in a stressed area. I also checked and it fits fine in the hole. Did not affect any clearance issue. I could probably put install this and it would run fine for 100k miles. But, if it were you, would you insist the machine shop spring for another set of pistons? They are not expensive ($200 a set with rings.... really good German quality).

What would you do? Will probably look for a new machine shop either way for future projects.

Just for fun, included a few pics of the car as found, the Data sheet from the Opel factory, along with a pic of the cracked piston.
Attached Images

O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 02-09-2018, 02:40 AM

Thanked 3,688 Times in 996 Posts

Spend the 200 for new pistons. That car is cool.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:56 AM

thanks Charley. Sometimes you just need to hear it from someone else. No sense in taking a chance.

I have a soft spot for Opels. This is a very early one. They made 100,000 Opel GTs from 69 to 73, but only 3500 with the 1.1 engine. The others had the 1.9. This one still has the original spare, all four spiral shocks (all working, and none of them leak) and like I said, almost completely rust free.
Given what all is going into this one, I guess 200 just doesn't matter. I was hoping to be putting this engine in the car this weekend. Will have to find something else to do.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:34 PM

Let the shop know what you found.
09 Pontiac G8 GT Premium,Sport,Roof. Liquid Red.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:10 PM

Let the shop owner know. If I was in his shoes I would want to (A) know and (B) have the chance to make things right.
The Following User Says Thank You to VintageMusclecar For This Useful Post:
HawkX66 (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 02:05 PM

You know how to have fun Lynn!! When we were chatting over dinner in Rosemont I was so impressed at what you do yourself and how varied your projects are..... (I think we even talked about a dump truck:-)

I wish you were my neighbor!!

Cool car, I have a ridiculous long bucket list and an Opel GT with a tunnel ram 327/302 SBC and M22, it is so far down the list I cant even see it.... but it is there.

Agree, talk to the owner and share your feelings, if he is not jumping on board to correct this they must have given up on quality.....

I saw the C word in your post and want to share that the current treatments available are nothing short of amazing. I hope and pray all's well!!

Ryan

1969 Beaumont 350 Auto White Sold
1969 Beaumont 307 Auto Green Sold
1969 Chevelle SS 396-L35 Auto Blue Sold
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass 'S' Sports Coupe W31
Old 02-09-2018, 03:38 PM

FWIW, a reputable shop would take care of that issue. Maybe the owner / manager doesn’t know. Parts in that condition should never have left his shop and a seasoned engine builder should have noticed.

Reusing a cracked piston should not be a consideration. If and when the skirt lets go it can cause a bunch of expensive and/or catastrophic damage.

$200.00 is an easy problem to take of if you have to.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:45 PM

Exactly, buy new pistons. Talk with the owner of the shop. Something isnt right here. If you used him all these years and now you feel like you cant, what changed??
Its not like you are being picky about something. This should have been caught or never happened in the first place.
1984 Camaro z/28 zz4 conversion
1987 Monte Carlo SS original owner
Old 02-09-2018, 05:11 PM

First time I used this shop it was owned by this guy's grandfather in the early 70's. Started the business in 1957.
Stellar work.
Back in the 80's the current owner's dad took over. Great work.

Now, the grandson has taken over. Apparently, that is what changed.

I will let him know, and will send him a pic of this piston. Another piston has a ding right on the top edge.

I already ordered another set of pistons. Just hope they have them in stock.

Yes, Ryan, you remember correctly. I have a 49 Studebaker Dump truck with a chevy engine and trans. It is very small for a dump truck,. no longer than a late 90's F150 extended cab short bed. Lots of fun.
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2018, 05:17 PM

I would ask the shop to split the bill (pay 100) towards the new pistons, then take them somewhere else to get the pins pressed and rods changed.