Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Preservation forum

Old 12-07-2016, 07:13 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Survivor vs Restored

The question of which will hold its value gets consideration in this article. Not an American musclecar, but still an interesting comparison

Gullwing Auction
Old 12-07-2016, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Thanked 6,187 Times in 1,341 Posts
Default Re: Survivor vs Restored

Yes, the question is what originality has it retained from it's original form, fit and function. If a car has deteriorated to such a high degree I don't know much can be considered original, and therefore why preserve. I have a passion for originality, but some cars are not survivors, they've just barely survived....

For me a well preserved car has more value than a restored car. There is something special about driving a unrestored car because they are like a time capsule and bring you back to, back-in-the-day.

The car in question looks like a decent car....

Vintage Certification™ , Providing Recognition to Unrestored Muscle Cars. Website:
www.vintagecertification.com
Old 12-07-2016, 11:32 PM

I said it before and I'll say it again that few, if any, restored cars drive as well as an unrestored example of that same model. Today, I was told of a car that is allegedly/supposedly an unaltered original, and I am excited to pursue and possibly purchase it. I've been considering downsizing my small collection and sold one of my cars, however if this latest lead materializes I'll gladly pull the trigger.
The current craze seems to favor "survivor" and "barn finds", but rarely does my idea of a "find" coincide with the vast majority of the hobby. A high quality specimen that was stored properly, in my humble opinion, will always trump a like vehicle that has been restored. Similar to waterfront property, they aren't building any more originals and pricing is likewise reflected.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:59 AM

Great news! Anyone who wants to trade a restored copo for my survivor Z, I'm ready [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/burnout.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2016, 11:35 AM

Key words &quot;LIKE MODEL&quot;!
Old 12-10-2016, 02:56 AM

I will take a Survivor over a restored car also. Original and very nice cars have character that a restored car can not display. The restored car rarely drives like an original .. My observation and opinion.
1971 Boss 351 , 17,000 miles .. 1971 Buick GS455 .. 2003 SVT Cobra .. 1971 GTO .. 1969 Camaro Fathom Green .. 1969 Camaro Hugger Orange .. 1970 Buick GS455 .. 1970 BUICK GS350 .. 1998 SVT Cobra 1900 miles;. 1973 STAGE 1 GS . 1971 Mach 1 351C 4 speed , first car. 1970 Mach 1 428 SCJ . 1970 SS 350 Camaro . 1971 442 ... 1968 Buick GS400 . 2015 Lexus IS 350 F Sport 2021 Badlands Bronco Sport
Old 12-11-2016, 05:12 PM

Many stood in disbelief when these cars sold.

For me it's pretty simple....when your laying out that kind of cash it can be difficult to determine the exact condition of a car prior to restoration. Pictures can be deceiving and a good photographer can be quite selective of lighting, angles, etc to hide the sins. The finished product is spectacular. When your standing in front of these two cars it doesn't take much education to figure out that pretty much all of the parts on the unrestored car came from Stuttgart, Germany. Although restored cars look spectacular much of the end result has very little to do with the factory and suppliers that contributed to the original car.

If the car collecting hobby is ever going to elevate from hobby to history then the behaviour of the collectors will continue to mature into the way it is in the antiquities markets. The value of most antiquities is dramatically reduced when they are modified in any way from the original artist. In the collector car world the original manufacturer is considered the artist. Many now consider this value and the results of this particular auction put an exclamation mark on originality.

Caveat emptor.....the unrestored Gullwing was carefully prepared for auction....most of the interior was assembled from other remnants of cars that were restored, the end result was brilliant.....the price was magical.

Calling Steve Shauger.....please inspect my car before I buy it!!!!!!!
Old 12-11-2016, 07:14 PM

Thanked 5,357 Times in 1,880 Posts

What is up, Fred! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2016, 07:44 PM

Bloody cold Bruce.....it's been minus twenty for over a week.....looking forward to the auctions....I'll be down long enough to unthaw then come back

It's a dry cold though [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img]

going to try to get a Supercross race in but dang if they'd change the schedule I'd get three
Old 12-11-2016, 08:07 PM

Thanked 5,357 Times in 1,880 Posts

Phoenix Supercross is January 28th At University of Phoenix Stadium...not too far from my house. I don't work for the motorsports retailer any more...and they don't even do the Supercross parties like they used to...LOL [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img]

Back to the regularly scheduled program about Survivor vs restored! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]