Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Pontiac

Old 09-03-2019, 03:48 AM

What stunning colors and overall car.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:18 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Saving the original paint on wheels.

Looks like I may be able to save the original paint on the wheels that were sprayed over with black by the original owner. My friend suggested trying lacquer thinner and it worked quite well. I carefully removed a layer at a time and it all wiped off. I then used a paint cleaner and wax over that. They wont be perfect, but will remain original paint this way. Also cleaned up one of the worst caps, that came out nice too.
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to grantprix For This Useful Post:
67since67 (09-08-2019), big gear head (09-08-2019), Xplantdad (09-08-2019)
Old 09-08-2019, 08:25 PM

Well done!

Jason
Old 09-18-2019, 06:28 PM

Default Moved to the engine bay.

Day off today and its raining here, good time to post some more photos. Started in on the engine a week or so ago. It looked really nasty initially after removing the original water pump, but there must have been just enough coolant in the system that all of the crud came off easily and didn't damage the timing cover or pump. The divider plates are toast, but those are easily replaced. It looked to have the original thermostat in it that reads "Delcostat". As I expected, the original aluminum/nylon tooth cam timing gear was still in place, but the nylon was completely gone! I've heard over the years that many of these Pontiac nylon gears failed under 20K miles and were done under warranty, but somehow this one kept running and never jumped time. And check out this "storage" decal that I found on the passenger cylinder head behind the smog pump bracket, never seen one of these before.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to grantprix For This Useful Post:
L78M22Rag (09-18-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 06:48 PM

Default Some of the markings and date codes on various parts.

All of the dates are pretty tight on this car even being a late '67 build. Most everything is E or F dates and just a few weeks before the build date of 06D.
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2019, 06:55 PM

Default Removed one Torq-Thrust.

Took one wheel off to get photos of the back side. These old redline tires are from OK Tire, I remember those stores as a kid. They look to be reversable, white stripe on one side and red on the other... pretty cool!
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2019, 07:01 PM

I have never seen that storage sticker what do you figure that was all about?
Old 09-18-2019, 08:08 PM

Thanked 2,378 Times in 752 Posts

If the nylon is gone, it is all currently located in the oil pump pickup, clogging it. That was usually the reason the engines were warrantied at 20,000 miles back in the day. Especially in the Northeast. I remember back in high school, the first cold day of the year, was always referred to as "Pontiac Extinction Day", when one good backfire would shatter the brittle nylon and send it all into the oil pan. If the owner kept trying to start it, all that cranking would just suck the pieces into the oil pump and the bearings would suffer as a result.

Are you planning on dropping the pan and flushing everything out?

(That would be a hint from a brother Pontiac-er)

Last edited by njsteve; 09-18-2019 at 11:57 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:03 PM

My friends and I have been discussing this very thing. I'm trying to not take apart more than I have to with this car, but I do understand the importance of making sure that pick up screen is not plugged. The engine appears to be very clean inside from what I've seen so far. Even the 30+ year old oil that was in it came out clean. I have flushed the oil pan twice with 6 qts of paint thinner, the first time I let it sit for five days to loosen any sludge or pieces of nylon that might be in there. I then drained it into a clean bucket and then strained it into another container and I got absolutely nothing other than darkened thinner. I did a second quick flush just to be sure and got the same result. With the drain plug out, you can see the outer portion of the screen just behind the hole and it looks clean as well. Most of the screen has a shroud over it which is very close to the screen itself and I really don't see how it would be possible for larger chunks of nylon to enter inside the covered portion of the screen. Another thing I did was run a wire tie (it would only fit in there flat between the screen and shroud) and ran across the entire screen and there were no obstructions while doing that either, just the sound of plastic running across a screen. And lastly, my friend took a close look with his borescope and saw nothing either. So, did all of that nylon get drained out with frequent oil changes? The warranty/POP booklet shows where Rex wrote down the first three oil changes which averaged 1100 miles per change. If he continued that pattern (or close to it) to 35K miles, that certainly would have helped. While the timing cover and valve covers are off, I will fill it with fresh oil and run the pump manually to make sure its working like it should and go from there. Crossing my fingers!
Attached Images

Last edited by grantprix; 09-19-2019 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:41 PM

I love your methodical cleanup and exploration of your goat. Keep us posted Grant!