Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 02-15-2008, 05:21 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 4,513 Times in 2,143 Posts
Default Re: Thoughts on a 440 'Cuda

"...THE FIREWALL AND DASH RETAINING THE M-CODE ID WERE CAREFULLY INSTALLED ON THE TEXAS DONER CAR AS WELL AS ALL OTHER IDENTIFYING MARKS..."

Besides the obvious fender tag and actual Vin tag jumping, I'd expect the "AS WELL AS ALL OTHER IDENTIFYING MARKS" statement mean he's cut out and welded/transfered whatever amount of the original car to include the hidden Vin locations on the rad support and whatever the rear area location is on the fastbacks (parcel shelf on the notchbacks)?.

As much as the guy's being up front about it now, the disclosure is in hoping it's a way to cover his butt if ever necessary later after passing this car on to the next owner...but what he's done is waaaay beyond any gray areas of rust or collision repair and outright fraud!.

There's better cars to find out there that you can enjoy without fear of the feds knocking on your door someday..

~ Pete

Old 02-15-2008, 06:25 PM

Well said
Old 02-15-2008, 07:23 PM

Thanked 2,027 Times in 513 Posts

For the record, THIS guy hasn't defrauded ANYBODY. Whatever happened to this car happened almost twenty years ago, and there have been probably half a dozen dealers, owners, and brokers in the interim. Since this is the first I've heard of the "rebody" issue, he may be the one who discovered or was informed by the restorer of the issue and is now apparently giving full disclosure.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:45 PM

Thanked 4,513 Times in 2,143 Posts

If this guy's the one who performed the dirty deed or not, it's his baby right now and regardless of what he admits he knows doesn't make it Ok to do what he seems to be doing?.

Questionable cars seem a new rendition of the old 'hot-potatoe' game where whoever ends up holding it has to pass it on to someone else...or stand up and admit defeat!.
The second choice obviously opens the door to bringing possible grief on themselves and others back through the line of previous owners...never mind the obvious legal costs of defending yourself through the process and being known as the squealer to the guys that were ahead of you to boot!.

Sorry if the guy who has it now is a good guy that has maybe been handed the hot-potatoe...but what he's doing now seems his attempt at offering to pass it on if someone is willing to accept it?.

If all's fine w/ what's existing now, it'd be no problem bringing the Feds into it to give their blessing about what's been done and obtaining something that states this in writing to pass on to potential buyers?. And good luck w/ that ever happening...more like they'd seize the car and it'd end up being stripped of it's goodness in some storage compound somewhere?.

Again there's other better cars out there you can find and enjoy without fear of the feds knocking on your door someday..

~ Pete
Old 02-15-2008, 10:52 PM

What is this guy supposed to do? Keep the car forever? Part it out?
You guys complain when someone mis-represents a car and you complain when someone gives full disclosure
I wouldnt personally buy the car but im glad that the guy had enough self respect and integrity to atleast let everyone know what has been done. If there were more people willing to give this kind of disclosure we would all be better off.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:00 AM

Thanked 5,357 Times in 1,880 Posts

It's winter time...
Old 02-16-2008, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What is this guy supposed to do? Keep the car forever? Part it out?
You guys complain when someone mis-represents a car and you complain when someone gives full disclosure
I wouldnt personally buy the car but im glad that the guy had enough self respect and integrity to atleast let everyone know what has been done. If there were more people willing to give this kind of disclosure we would all be better off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen!
Old 02-16-2008, 02:33 AM

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
NJSteve, while I can appreciate your perspective, isn't every E-body that has had the dashboard replaced (gotta pop that VIN and grind those rivets) or every early Mustang that was hit in the front technically afoul of the law as well? (for reference, Mustangs had the VINs on the tops of the inner fender aprons, often replaced with ones from other cars when repaired. Many have been hit, and those front bumpers don't bump, they're just trim pieces ).

[/ QUOTE ]

OK here we go again.

Taking the VIN tag off a Chrysler E-body, fixing the dash pad and replacing it ON THE VERY SAME CAR is entirely legal.

Taking the VIN off a Ford Mustang inner fender, repairing or replacing the inner fender and the reinstalling the same VIN tag ON THE VERY SAME CAR is entirely legal.

Taking the VIN tag off a 69 Camaro, replacing the commonly rusted dash panel and replacing it ON THE VERY SAME CAR is entirely legal.

Are we all seeing a common theme here?

Taking the cowl tag off a GM product, altering it to change codes, and putting it back on the same vehicle is not a criminal act (except in Oklahoma). Taking the GM cowl tag and putting it on another car it did not originally come on is also not a crime (except in Oklahoma) but in certain circumstances it can be considered an act of fraud and/or misrepresentation which could lead to a lawsuit in civil (not criminal) court for monetary damages.

Replacing a duplicate blue conformance decal back on the car it came from originally is entirely legal. A conformance decal is just that, it was a decal placed on the car by the manufacturer notifying all observers that the car conformed to all safety and emissions regulations as of the date of its manufacture. It is not a VIN tag and is not treated as such under any laws. For example, you could never register a car simply based on that decal being on a door and no other VIN plates on the car.

Taking the VIN or a section of metal that contains a confidential VIN and placing it on a car THAT IT NEVER CAME ON from the factory IS A FELONY (a really bad criminal violation = 5 years under the Federal laws). Are we all seeing the distinction here? It is the act of placing it on another body that is the illegal act. There is no "restoration exception" under the law.

That Barracuda is forever tainted and depending upon the fickle mood of any law enforcement officer who comes across it (or who happens to have seen the ebay auction) the car can be subject to permanent seizure as VIN altered vehicles are considered contraband under most VIN laws and can never be sold or auctioned off. They usually get crushed unless the original body VIN can be determined.

The proper, and legal (and extremely expensive) way to restore a car like that would be by cutting all of the rusted panels off it and replacing them, piece by piece, with the panels from a donor car. Yeah that's pretty crazy labor but it passes the test of whether the VIN section/panel was removed from the original car and then welded onto another one. Simply cutting that firewall out and welding it onto an intact donor body fails the test and makes the car a VIN swap violation.

This is neither my perspective, nor my opinion, nor my personal feeling. THAT IS THE STATE OF THE LAW UNDER THE FEDERAL STATUTES AND EVERY STATE STATUTE RELATING TO VIN FRAUD.

If you dont like the state of the law, then contact your local congressman (when he isn't fawning over steroid infected pro-ballers or trying to solicit illicit toilet companionship) and see if he can revise the law to allow a rebody restoration exception to the law.

(By the way, this is basically the same schpeil I spew out every time this subject comes up. If my ranting saves someone from getting in trouble with the local or Uncle Sam's gendarmes, or saves them from losing six-figures on a bogus car and having to sue to get their money back, I have done my public service for the day.)
Old 02-16-2008, 02:52 AM

Thanks Steve. That clears it up once & for all.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:06 AM

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

LOL ...until the next time!