Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 11-11-2018, 04:53 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,154 Posts
Default Correct Color on Grill.... finally

I painted my car back in 2012. I wanted to go back as original as possible. I used lacquer.
Easy to second guess that decision now, but for the most part, the paint still looks awesome.

When it came time to paint the grill the correct silver color, research indicated the correct PPG color code to be 8568. When I painted the grill in 2013, PPG was still manufacturing lacquer. Problem was, my local paint store did not sell it and would not order it for me. Mind you, I am not in California. It is not (still to this day) illegal to sell lacquer in Oklahoma.

Found an on line supplier who guaranteed me they could send me a quart of PPG lacquer in code 8568. I painstakingly prepped and masked off my NOS black grill. Painted the egg crate with white epoxy (DPLF), and started shooting the "PPG" silver I got on line. Took about 8 to 10 coats to cover and when it dried was WAY TOO dark. What a huge disappointment. I was sick every time I looked at that grill (and the headlight bezels I painted at the same time). To make matters even worse, in the last year, the grill started to change color, but only in spots, so it really looked bad.

Friggin liar sold me some really crappy paint. The car hasn't spent a total of 6 days out in the sun in the last 6 years. I just needed a good push to get the grill done right.

Been working on a friend's 69Z as a favor to another friend. The dusk blue paint on Rick's Z is absolutely stunning BASF base/clear. However, when it was put back together, they did not paint the grill silver. Hey, at least they painted the surround body color. There was a very small dent in the RF fender that needed PDR. However, the grill would have to come out to get to the back side of the dent.

I decided both his and my grill needed painting. Off to the paint store. All I had was the color code. Fortunately, the very knowledgeable guy behind the counter knew what I needed. I STILL cannot buy lacquer (and apparently, PPG has finally quit making it, declaring it obsolete). I did NOT want a base / clear for the grill. I wanted a single stage. Sadly, the only thing PPG makes in a single stage is in the Omni line, which, as most of you know, is the budget paint. Still, even the budget Omni modern paint must be a lot tougher than vintage lacquer, right?

So, last Sat (3rd) I pulled both grills. Rick's was pretty easy, as I just needed to scuff the black plastic with a scotch pad. Mine took a lot more work. I wanted to remove as much of that crappy paint as possible. Wore me out. Both were a pain to mask off. Didn't want to get any of that new paint on the painted surround area.

Both came out well. I have not painted much, although I did develop really good spray techniques in the early 70's working in a body shop. Really hard to get good coverage on a grill without any runs.

On a side note: I won't be painting with any of the modern paints ever again without proper equipment. I hacked and hacked for two days, and had a killer headache. All I had was an old standard mask. No fresh air. Really stupid. Hopefully, didn't lose any brain cells. I have none to spare.

Pics of the two cars attached. On mine, one is with flash, and one without. The flash shot makes it look almost too light, but I am very happy with the color. I think Rick's looks way better with a silver grill.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lynn; 01-29-2021 at 01:50 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lynn For This Useful Post:
Xplantdad (11-11-2018)
Attachments - The Supercar Registry natural.grill.net.jpg grill.net.jpg flash.net.jpg 8.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 11-11-2018, 04:58 PM

Couple of before shots.
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2018, 05:10 PM

Nice cars!!
Old 11-11-2018, 05:56 PM

Thanked 1,111 Times in 633 Posts

Those polished Center Lines look great with that black paint.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:00 PM

Thanked 5,961 Times in 2,907 Posts

Looks awesome, Lynn. Know what you mean about the toxicity...I bought a used fresh-air system a few years ago for that very reason. It was remarkably cheap - maybe $400 IIRC.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:25 AM

Very nice! I know it's a bit on the cheap side, but did you compare the rattle can silver's for a color match? Those are still single stage lacquer, I did my grill with Seymours "dull Aluminium" and without anything to compare to, It was good enough for my low dollar resto

ps: actually I just remembered I had original headlight covers with original paint, and it was very close to the faded original

Last edited by KevinW; 11-12-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:02 PM

Lynn,

I think the current Lacquer sold now is nitrocellulose lacquer, and the old original is acrylic lacquer. The new lacquer is crap IMO, it never seems to totally harden and sands and polishes like it’s rubber.
Grilles look great BTW, I think you nailed the colour.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:54 PM

That looks great. Color looks spot on. Nice rides Lynn!!
1984 Camaro z/28 zz4 conversion
1987 Monte Carlo SS original owner
Old 11-13-2018, 12:20 AM

It's not the brian cells... with catalyzed paints it's the isocyonates which prevent you from being able to breathe.

The GRILLE looks GREAT!!!
NCRS#65120
68 GTO HO 4 spd Alpine Blue /Parchment 2 owner car
#21783 71 Corvette LT1 45k miles Orig paint - Brandshatch Green - National Top Flight - last known 71 LT1 built.
71 Corvette LT1 42k miles Original paint - Black - black leather - only black LT1 known to exist.
NUMEROUS Lemans blue Camaros,
Monza Red and Daytona Yellow Corvettes
& a Chevelle or two...
Survivors, restored cars, & other photos
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos
Old 11-13-2018, 02:07 AM

Thanks guys.

I knew the color was right on, as I had a very old pair of NOS headlight bezels in silver. I didn't feel like stripping the paint off the ones that were on there.

I am hoping someone has a use for the old ones. I will be listing on the pay it forward classifieds.