Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 07-30-2003, 07:48 PM

Default 1971-1973 Motion Vegas

Do you all know if Mr. Joel Rosen used 12 bolt rear-ends in his Vega cars? If so, any clue as to what the code would be? This past weekend, I attended a local swap-meet where a vendor was selling several high performance items, including a 12 bolt rear-end. The vendor stated the rear-end came out of a specialized 1971 LT350 Motion Vega. He said, he removed it from the car before the car was scheduled to be crushed/destroyed. I checked the unit for codes in the usual spot (In-side the passenger axle), but could not locate any numbers or code. The only letter that I could find at that particular location was a letter "B". That was it! Maybe the code is in a different spot? The axles appeared to be professionally or factory cut, etc. Personally, I'm not familiar with these Motion cars. Did GM ever produce a special rear-end specifically for a high performance Vegas? Or did Mr. Rosen add any special markings to his rear-end components? To your knowledge, is there any way for me to verify this 12 bolt rear-end as a Motion unit? Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the information in advance!

P.S. In your opinion, what would be a fair price for such a Motion item? The owner is asking $400 for it.

Attachments - The Supercar Registry 47539-engine.jpg 47538-front.jpg 47396-vega.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 07-30-2003, 09:31 PM

Default Re: 1971-1973 Motion Vegas

Joel did indeed use narrowed 12-bolt rearends in some of his Motion Super Vegas (not all of them) but I would have to go back and re-read the many articles from the 70's magazines to remember what car they came out of. Most articles didn't mention any detail about the rearend, other than the fact it was a 12-bolt and what gear it was running. But I recall one article that mentioned what car he used the 12-bolt from - I'll try to find it. Btw, a $400 narrowed 12-bolt, drum to drum, with no mechanical problems sounds good to me! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif[/img]

Ken
Old 08-02-2003, 04:04 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

I think I read somewhere he got some of the rearends from Don Hardy who sold a complete bolt in setup. There was also a company in the Brooklyn area that sold bolt in 12 bolts also. I know one Motion vega's 12 bolt came from a Chevelle because in the article they mentioned cutting off the top link brackets.
Dave
Old 08-02-2003, 04:07 PM

Ask Stefano. He's got one he would know.
Old 08-02-2003, 06:38 PM

I actually thought I remembered reading of them using a 12 bolt from an Caprice in one article, maybe that could have been the reference to the top link brackets. Do you think that could be correct Dave? I donot remember why they would have chosen an impala rear over any other ones, maybe they were cheaper?

Paul T
Old 08-02-2003, 06:56 PM

There's a Motion Vega article in 1975 Chevrolet Performance Annual-- "Quote"--The hot setup rear assembly for high-output engined V-8 Vegas is a narrowed and blueprinted 12-bolt Camaro-type assembly-----" --Had coil spring brackets and special brackets for upper control arms welded to axle .
Old 08-03-2003, 12:06 AM

JoeG
The brackets they are talking about are stock Vega brackets that were welded on the 12 bolt. The vega used the same type of coil spring/trailing arm setup as a Chevelle etc but they are in totally different position and are different size than the Chevelle. Obviously the Vega parts are much smaller. Don Hardy used to sell the stock GM Vega brackets you welded on your 12 bolt for a do it yourselfer. That way you would not have to cut off your stock brackets from the 7.25 inch vega rear.

The 12 bolt rearend the Joel sold for $900 back then was 49 1/2 inches from flange to flange. So were Don Hardy's. Joel also used many of the Don Hardy motor and tranny mounts.

JoeC had a NOS Don Hardy tranny mount with the Motion decal attached.
Dave
I would think the 12 bolts they used back then was bought wherever they could get the cheapest ones available.
Old 08-03-2003, 02:50 AM

whitetop,
This particular article was for a 454 so it was pretty much of a "take no prisoners" type of set-up.The upper arms that that would go on the ears of the rear on a chevelle, are now repositioned to be welded on the axle. Motion also used solid bushings on the upper/lower arms.Monster ladder/bar type traction bars.--This particular rear was a Don Hardy,like you said, short axle with safety hubs.And obviously this set-up was not used on every Motion Vega.On the less potent Vegas Motion would go,like you said, the more cost/efficient route on which rear to use. This is actually a very extensive article, with some nice photos.I wish I could have posted this article, as I use the search and peck style of typing. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Old 08-07-2003, 04:13 PM

I'll have to measure the rear. It is a perfect fit with N50s and the Motion ZL1 flairs. I was confident that it was a Don Hardy Built rear. The trans mount as well as few other components on the car are also Don Hardy.

I believe the 12 Bolt Rear Motion used for "Rat Bird" is Coded 1970 Camaro or Nova, can't recall which one.

Old 08-07-2003, 06:15 PM

Stefano

I believe (testing my memory from 4 or 5 years ago) the rear end in your car is a 74 1/2 truck rear end......or at least that is what the brakes and hardware fit......I have read somewhere that the 1/2 ton pickup was a popular choice for conversion.....doesn't that rear axle have the c clip eliminator's on it?