Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 06-07-2022, 06:56 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,550 Times in 1,173 Posts
Default mini fridge

Took the old mini fridge from our game room and put it in my shop. It is an older unit (1994) but still works perfectly down at the shop. The white exterior was turning yellow, so I thought I would do something nice for Sherri and purchased a Magic Chef mini fridge for the game room with a SS front door and black accents.

The MC unit is 1.5 years old. Quit cooling. Compressor comes on, but never cools. Seems like I just can't buy quality right now. Tried to find a Fridgidaire unit that would work, but I am limited on size, as it must fit the opening under the counter top.

Turns out the warranty is for one year. The compressor "parts" are warranted for five years, but we have to ship it cross country to get someone to work on it. Then we have to pay return shipping as well as the labor. Seeing that it was only $191 brand new, I don't plan to head down that rabbit hole. Is it just me, or does it seem like quality control is almost non existent???? I almost burned up a brand new engine because an $8 brand new thermostat stuck shut after less than 3k miles of use.

BTW, I DO have the unit vented, so I know it isn't overheating.

Need to buy a new one. I am limited to 19 inches wide (and that is pushing it) and 34 inches tall (also pushing it). The MC was 18.7 and 33.4. I go online to see what is rated best. Unbelievable; the Magic Chef unit we bought that didn't last a year.

Second choice is a Black and Decker.

Before I pull the trigger on the B&D, anyone have any issues with a B&D mini fridge?
Old 06-07-2022, 10:38 PM

Yes, the modern stuff is not as well made as the older stuff. I recommend you put a new paint job on the older mini fridge and put it back in the game room. I used Rustoleum Appliance white on my 1954 GE refrig that my parents bought new when they married. The old girl is still going strong.
Old 06-07-2022, 11:20 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

While I cannot comment on new stuff, I will echo the above sentiment. In my shop back home, in the corner, is a 1955 Frigidaire that I bought at a pawn shop in 1993, still humming away keeping the Labatt’s Blue and Molson Canadian bottles nicely cold.
The Following User Says Thank You to AnthonyS For This Useful Post:
dykstra (06-08-2022)
Old 06-07-2022, 11:21 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

Don't buy junk appliances, check the warranty stipulations prior to buying, buy American made whenever you can. I agree with AnthonyS. I would pick up a used one if you can.

If New this one is likely the best deal before you move to higher cost units:

https://www.geappliances.com/applian...tor-GCE06GSHSB
Old 06-07-2022, 11:22 PM

Then I would need to buy another one anyway. You don't expect me to have a shop and no beer fridge, do you?

Went ahead and bought the B&D.
Old 06-07-2022, 11:26 PM

Also, widen your countertop. You are going to have limited choices otherwise.
Old 06-08-2022, 03:00 AM

That one looks good Phil, but just too wide for my application.

Funny. I was down at my shop and looked at the old one, circa 1994. It is a GE.

A lot of Fridgidaire appliances are still made in USA. Owned by Electrolux (still have Mom's Electroluc vac from the 60s!!!! I have had multiple Electrolux appliances and never had a failure.

Can't widen the opening without major carpentry work. Just not willing to do that right now.

Will see how the B&D works out.

Appreciate the input.
Old 06-08-2022, 03:00 PM

Thanked 2,960 Times in 1,387 Posts

The fridge in the house we bought 2.7 yrs ago failed WHILE we were looking at the place for the first showing. Got a lower price because of that. Then waited 3 months for a Kitchen Aid. Part of the Whirlpool family and built in the US. It may be ASSEMBLED in the US, but from crap Chinese parts. 2.5 yrs old, the control panel failed and allows the fridge evap to freeze up and stop working. Of course parts are back ordered from China for months and who knows when/if I'll ever get a new control panel. Again, 1 yr warranty. About every 2-3 weeks, I need to pull the plug and defrost the coil. There is no ON/Off function either.

We researched these appliances quite well before this purchase to AVOID exactly this crap, but here we are. If someone knows of a refrigerator that is ACTUALLY BUILT in this country FROM U.S. MADE parts I'm all ears, because I sure as heck can't find one.
1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles
Old 06-08-2022, 03:35 PM

Sub Zero and Viking... but you are going to pay a premium. There are NO fridges that are made from 100% American materials by a 100% American workforce anymore. Assembly quality is typically what you get with USA assembled and a shorter less stressful delivery distance cannot hurt things.

5 years ago I purchased a Freezer that I had placed a 1/4 beef in. Within 3 weeks of being new the lower part of the freezer failed allowing the meat on the bottom to thaw and leaving the top frozen.

Neat! I could have not sabotaged that unit any better. It acted like it was running gave no indications of a failure of course MADE IN CHINA... The best lessons are learned the hard way I guess.

GE has the top three on this list: https://allamericanreviews.com/best-fridges/
Old 06-08-2022, 03:47 PM

Thanked 2,960 Times in 1,387 Posts

We looked at Sub-Zero, as we had one in our previous house. Of course, my wife is still on the "buy low" train, but I may be able to convince her otherwise after this BS.

She was shocked to learn the "average" lifespan of a modern fridge is 7 YEARS now. She grew up in an older family and had the same fridge for the 21 yrs she lived at home and beyond.

I would LOVE to buy a fridge that would last 20 yrs, as I will no longer be here, or at least, in this home and the next owner can deal with replacement.
1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles