Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 05-09-2019, 08:24 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default ZL-1 GM service motor for sale on corvette forum

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-1-engine.html

Seems like a great deal for someone building a great street car.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 05-09-2019, 08:31 PM

The seller is a good guy. I've dealt with him quite a few times.

Jason
Old 05-10-2019, 05:28 PM

That car he has it in is also a thing of beauty
Old 05-15-2019, 01:16 PM

I was SERIOUSLY considering this as I am going to gather a couple more ZL-1's to add to the OG warrior that I have. But a few things are holding me back that I don't like. Most would be fine with it, me not so much. I'm not sold on the whole hyd roller idea any longer. Just personal preferences.

For me to build a fresh one like he did would be a couple grand more possibly, but then I know everything and make it the way I want. I want one "like" this for my '67 Chevy II SS to replace the current 69 L36 motor, that has some work in it.
'78 Z28 32,000 survivor, Og Yellow paint, AC.
'69 CANADIAN Nova SS 396/350 hp
'67 CANADIAN Nova SS 427 10 sec. driver
'66 CANADIAN Nova SS Race Car
'61 CANADIAN Pontiac Bubble top 409+/4sp (SOLD)
'31 ALL STEEL Chevy P.U. GONE (EX-WIFES NOW)
Old 05-15-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ Nova View Post
I was SERIOUSLY considering this as I am going to gather a couple more ZL-1's to add to the OG warrior that I have. But a few things are holding me back that I don't like. Most would be fine with it, me not so much. I'm not sold on the whole hyd roller idea any longer. Just personal preferences.

For me to build a fresh one like he did would be a couple grand more possibly, but then I know everything and make it the way I want. I want one "like" this for my '67 Chevy II SS to replace the current 69 L36 motor, that has some work in it.
How hard would it be to to change the cam? Engine is out, right. Allot of car people like the

hydraulic roller for the ease of no adjusting rockers. With an engine like the ZL1, in a vette

is not easy to adjust the valves so I see why the hydraulic roller. Price is a factor I see, so I

get your point of cost and if your gonna build it then, build it! How many do you see or can

buy? It would be bad ass in that 67 Nova!!

Dave
67 Nova Boy
Old 05-15-2019, 02:09 PM

Dave,

There around. I have personally seen 5 original "052" blocks in the last 5/6 years without looking. Check out 427 King. I think he found 3 or 4 original blocks in a week. I did source a few of the new blocks and missed out on one new in a crate I would have bought, asking price was $3,500.00 SHIPPED within the USA. I have only seen 3 or 4 of them personally. Some people just move to Dart/Brodix when moving to that price range of alum block. At this time, I personally own 3 alum BBc. The OG "052" block and 2 Donavan blocks for my race stuff.

As for the hyd roller. I'm on another much larger more performance oriented car site. There have been many many issues with hyd roller in BBc. Morel has also been discussed as being as or MORE noisy than a Solid roller. Plus Morel needs special oils as well. Most of the engine guys and performance street guys are going back to the cheaper and just as reliable SOLID roller set ups. Even to the point of SR lifters on hyd roller cams. If you get a QUALITY well thought out/designed SR cam set up, it's cheaper, quiter, just as reliable and same amount of adjustments as the hyd roller stuff is.

FYI I haven't "needed" to adjust SR cam stuff in over 3 season of driving. BUT do check in spring and fall for movements. And guys are getting 10,000+ mile on there solid roller stuff.

Right now, my "67 comes in about 2950lbs. Lil L36 made 629Hp so just getting it out now. Should be a fun little car. Heidtz front, 29.5 X 12.5 tire on the rear, T400 w/gear vendor.
'78 Z28 32,000 survivor, Og Yellow paint, AC.
'69 CANADIAN Nova SS 396/350 hp
'67 CANADIAN Nova SS 427 10 sec. driver
'66 CANADIAN Nova SS Race Car
'61 CANADIAN Pontiac Bubble top 409+/4sp (SOLD)
'31 ALL STEEL Chevy P.U. GONE (EX-WIFES NOW)