Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 02-25-2020, 01:33 PM

Default COPO identification

I know in Canada, you can get the GM documentation for these cars. BUT in the USA how does one find out if it's really a COPO or not without some original documents? This can also apply to ANY GM I guess.

I know of a local guy who bought a 1970 Chevelle SS396. Car was brought into Canada from the southern states 10-15 yrs ago. At the time the original motor was gone and it "supposed" to have a 1970 454. Our circle in town that knew the car knows it's a SS396 with air. A buddy of mine found the car and told another guy about it. He bought it that long ago. Immediately put 454 emblems on it. Now tells everyone it's a LEGIT LS-5 with air. He says you can not find out if it was or not since the USA has no paperwork on these old cars?

The barn-find thread just brought this back up last night talking with buddies.

Thanks, John
'78 Z28 32,000 survivor, Og Yellow paint, AC.
'69 CANADIAN Nova SS 396/350 hp
'67 CANADIAN Nova SS 427 10 sec. driver
'66 CANADIAN Nova SS Race Car
'61 CANADIAN Pontiac Bubble top 409+/4sp (SOLD)
'31 ALL STEEL Chevy P.U. GONE (EX-WIFES NOW)
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 02-25-2020, 02:13 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,863 Times in 999 Posts

For starters, other than fleet cars or special paint cars there were no COPO (Chevelles) in 1970, certainly not drivetrain related. Someone correct me if I am wrong. As far as the car in question, find out which plant and build date the car was made. 454's were not available till mid year so if it is an early car that would pretty much kill the chances of it being a 454. The rest of the drivetrain is also unique to the 454 so if the transmission, driveshaft and rearend are not 454 related that would be another red flag.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations
Old 02-25-2020, 02:49 PM

Ok thanks Rick. Like I said I know it's a 396 car as I do know the previous owner. Just gathering info for the future before the "gray matter" gets to old.

As for as 1969 cars. For a COPO with documents, guess one could follow the same way? I do know a local guy who DID buy a 1969 COPO 427 Chevelle. Here's how it plays out:

He traded the car back in the early 70's, say 72/73. The original motor was put into a 1969 Nova by another local guy. We believe he still has it in his 1969 Nova. When the car was sold, it was sold with a 350 and rest of the COPO drivetrain. NOW this is where I get foggy. The original owner of the 1969 COPO Chevelle went looking for it in the mid 80's. Found it was wrecked and written off. Found out what yard it went to, and was told that body was previously crushed. Now this car shows up on eBay and is not only all back together, but claimed numbers matching motor?

Obviously someone went through some great lengths to cover their tracks in the car above, if it indeed a copy. It DOES have GM Canada documents and some other documents. So will be hard to argue this one. BUT what to look for on cars with no documents or ones that are IFFY??
'78 Z28 32,000 survivor, Og Yellow paint, AC.
'69 CANADIAN Nova SS 396/350 hp
'67 CANADIAN Nova SS 427 10 sec. driver
'66 CANADIAN Nova SS Race Car
'61 CANADIAN Pontiac Bubble top 409+/4sp (SOLD)
'31 ALL STEEL Chevy P.U. GONE (EX-WIFES NOW)
Old 02-25-2020, 03:13 PM

Is this car on eBay now? Do you have a link?
Old 02-25-2020, 03:26 PM

This is always an interesting subject. I've never been one that got all gaga over paperwork. It's nice, but people are getting so good at faking paper these days, even with age tactics, I just don't put a lot of faith in it unless someone that is more knowledgeable comments on it.

Over the years I've just stuck to cars that can be verified easily in other ways. Such as the vin or the data plate. Those are pretty easy to see if they have been tampered with. I like the Fords because Kevin can easily document those with real paperwork, was a no brainer to buy our 69 SCJ, and Pontiacs are pretty simple with PHS available. The Chevrolets I've stuck to models with data plate or vin codes, such as our Norwood Z for example. For me to be 100% certain and verify a Van Nuys Z, it would need to have it's original block and vin stamping for me to be comfortable with a purchase like that.

To answer your question, on COPO Chevelles, if I wanted to buy one, assuming original block is gone with no vin, I'd refer to people more knowledgeable in that area such as Rick but I'd at least hope it has the right rearend in it, that would help ease my mind a little, since they are specific for that car. 69 Camaro's are a pinch easier since they all had ZL2 hoods. I have a line on what I believe to be a COPO originally. The car is a hodge podge right now with a small block/4 speed. The owner drives it around town frequently. When talk started about possibly selling. I noticed a factory ZL2 hole in the firewall, factory muncie speedo location, and an X44 cowl tag. Those threw a big flag for me. X44's as far as I know didn't get a ZL2 hood unless it was a COPO. When he told me he bought the car as a roller and got it running, he said he didn't like the 4.10 gear and swapped in a 3.42. That had me under the car looking, sure enough, BE rear. There is no paperwork on the car of course, but I've seen enough of it to make me about 90% sure it started life as a COPO. Other cars aren't as easy to tell so without vin or data plate verification, or a service like Marty and PHS, Those difficult cars I tend to not be interested in buying. That's my take on it anyway.

Last edited by x33rs; 02-25-2020 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:17 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS427 View Post
For starters, other than fleet cars or special paint cars there were no COPO (Chevelles) in 1970, certainly not drivetrain related. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Rick,
Fleet and special paint cars are not COPO's, but F&SO (Fleet and Special Order).