Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 01-03-2012, 07:06 PM

Default Re: ZL1 #9 Barrett Jackson - Where's Waldo

Beautiful car. Cool it was saved. To me ZL1's are very special, like GM's baby. I know, I'm weird.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:07 PM

Thanked 5,346 Times in 1,875 Posts

When George says he will be by his car answering questions...that's where you can expect to find him. That's where he was when he sold the yellow COPO... [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
Old 01-03-2012, 10:53 PM

Commendations to Charlie, he didnt take the easy road that many sites take when a car up for discussion is a members ,he called it exactly the way he saw it . Very refreshing.

No Fisher priced toys here
Old 01-03-2012, 10:54 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Unfortunately, it sounds like the #9 ZL-1 did not survive it's years of Drag Strip use and abuse and a 307 '69 Camaro (or something similar) was used as a substitute body to re-create #9. What would bother me is when the new owner sits in the car and thinks to himself &quot;Wow, this is a real ZL-1 Camaro that actually sat on Fred Gibb's famous lot and was blasting down Drag Strips back in 1969!&quot; Well, guess what . . . . it's not. The original car, hull or what's left of it is possibly still sitting behind a body shop somewhere waiting to be re-discovered when the current tenants move out and leave it. At B-J, you're actually sitting in Grandma's boring 307 Camaro that's had it's VIN tags swapped as a car it's not. On another note, I do know that one of the engines from one of the stolen new ZL-1's was recently recovered from a speed boat in the Ozarks and will be used to re-create one of the stolen missing Zl-1's and that a CE ZL-1 block is also being used to re-create one of the other stolen cars.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:11 AM

I think that you will find that George is not trying to hide anything he knows about this car.
The Barrett-Jackson description is basically a short description of the car being sold ... &quot;and is done to get buyers interested in each car.&quot;
None of the cars descriptions details everything about each car. George also invites all interested parties to meet with him at the car to show all the documentation and other information that he knows about the car .... prior to the car coming up for auction.
... How many people would buy a car of this calibur and bid from reading that description only ?
....( and not talk with the owner and inspect the car prior to bidding?
I believe in the end you will find a buyer that has met with George and is well aware of what was done to restore this car ... will be the winning bidder
... but what do I know.
.... Just my 2cents [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/Charley.gif[/img]
Old 01-04-2012, 12:30 AM

Congrat's to Charley for calling it for what it is.....and to George for calling it what it is.......That's what makes this the best car site on the net.....The knowledge base and tracking history that exists here about these rare cars never cease to amaze me.......and it's great to have a muscle car site that now allows the &quot;Scrutiny&quot; of these cars make it a little more difficult for a &quot;Holy Grail&quot; car to fall out of the sky and be &quot;Deemed&quot; a real car without &quot;Question&quot;..........Congrats to all involved........

Ken

The Best things in life......Aren't Things
Old 01-04-2012, 05:00 AM

George,

How was the car represented to you when you decided to purchase it? From your original post concerning the car it sounds as if you were aware of an issue or cloud over the car. I believe I know the seller and if I follow the threads correctly, rich p was the messenger who informwd him after his purchase at BJ that the car was re-bodied prior. Jude seems to be in a hurry to throw the gentleman from whom George bought the car under the bus. Maybe Jude knows more than he has posted, I hope that's the case. If so, I hope Jude will be more forthcoming and George will respond to my opening question. More than one persons credibility hangs in the balance here.

Growing old is a certainty, growing up isn't
Old 01-04-2012, 03:39 PM

Howard, my post was based on what was said here &amp; the initial thread, from George, when he told everyone he was taking it to B-J.

We know that Tom R/Jubilee previously auctioned it @ B-J with a sign disclosing the issue. Then, according to Rich, he told the new Dallas owner to 'read the sign' and that the issue was well known within the collector circle. Then go back to George's first thread, where he seems to not know about the issue &amp; is apparently told here, for the 1st time.
I simply stated that the previous owner was apparently not forthcoming with all that he knew and probably just wanted out. From my perspective, if a car of this caliber sells for 1/2 the value of other's you should assume there may be something fishy and use greater due diligence before purchasing.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:47 PM

george very well said few of these menbers on this site gets a little finger happy!!!!!!!!! so i agree 110% with george who ever has not seen this car in person needs to go to BJ
Old 01-04-2012, 04:05 PM

Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,139 Posts

The theme of all this,is if George just came out &amp; said,<span style="font-style: italic">&quot;Ad should just say &quot;one of the finest re-bodied ZL1's in existence&quot;</span>,and not these BJ words,<span style="font-style: italic">&quot;A GM factory assembled body shell was used to correct the extensive body modifications performed during this cars long term drag race history.&quot;</span>

The Following User Says Thank You to Mr70 For This Useful Post:
x Baldwin Motion (01-04-2024)