Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 05-12-2020, 10:00 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

442W30 -- Could you send me some additional info -

1. Could you email me a bigger pic of the 67 Chevelle L79 section including the quantities for each code? Seeing which ones are higher quantities versus lower does not prove anything, but it would be at least a suggestion of which codes are "probably" for a coupe.

I am also thinking that A.I.R. smog may have something to do with it, since a smog engine would have a different part number than a non smog. Seeing the quantities might reveal that adding certain codes together equals the total number of smog L79 engines built (if I can find that production total data in the giant piles of stuff I have here).

And it would also help to see if any of these L79 codes are listed with a 0 quantity. If so, it blows up the idea in #2 and #3 below. But if none show a 0 quantity, then below are viable ideas.

2. Do any of the codes listed for other options show that they used the letters E and F in the second slot of a code? I note that this 67 Chevelle L79 list jumps from AD to AG and skips over AE and AF. If E and F are used in the second slot of some other codes, then that would suggest there are at least two more 67 Chevelle L79 codes that are not listed, due to 0 quantity built.

3. Do any of the codes listed for other options show that they used the letter I in the second slot of a code? This list also skips over AI, so same analysis as #2 above. But I could see them deliberately skipping over the letter I to avoid confusion with the number 1.

4. What are the L79 ECL's listed for 67 Vettes and Novas? Do they start with AA too, or are they a separate list from the Chevelle codes with no overlap? If there is no overlap, then knowing what the Vette and Nova codes are might tell us which codes are "missing" from the Chevelle list due to 0 quantity (if that is the case).

5. Do any of the other options list BOTH the ECL AND the corresponding body style? If so, can you see any pattern of a "standard order" for listing body styles in a certain order within the ECL code lists (when body style matters)? For example, is AA always a coupe? Or always a 4-dr sedan?

If smog is factored in, then we go up to 12 total 67 Chevelle L79 codes rather than 8:

1. Coupe/sedan L79
2. Coupe/sedan L79 w/ HD clutch
3. Coupe/sedan L79 w/ AIR (note that HD clutch was not available with AIR for some reason, so AIR does not double the previous 8 total I hypothesized)

4. Convertible L79
5. Convertible L79 w/ HD clutch
6. Convertible L79 w/ AIR

7. Wagon L79
8. Wagon L79 w/ HD clutch
9. Wagon L79 w/ AIR

10. Elc L79
11. Elc L79 w/ HD clutch
12. Elc L79 w/ AIR

Then, if three of those combos had 0 produced (provided that none of the codes that ARE listed shows a zero), then there's your 9 listed codes out of 12 total possibilities. Figuring out which ones were a zero is another matter, though.

I found a pic of one window sticker for a 67 Malibu L79 coupe with std clutch and no AIR that shows AH code. Don't know if it is a real w/s though.

This is fun, ain't it? Thanks!
66 Chevelle L78 unrestored
67 Chevelle L78 unrestored
67 Camaro SS350 Survivor
Old 05-13-2020, 07:34 PM

Sent you a PM Jeff. It's tons of fun!
Old 05-14-2020, 06:32 AM

Jeff, Warren is in touch I believe.