Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 05-16-2000, 12:49 AM

Default Yenko "fakes"

Just registered, after reading this B/B for several months. I read all the posts about "bogus" Yenkos, and other special cars. There's a difference between a "fake" and a "clone" or "replica" and it has to do with intent. If there's an attempt to defraud, then it's a fake. If there's no deceit, then it's a replica.
I building a Yenko replica for several reasons. 1. I can't afford the price of a restorable real one. 2. I can't afford the cost of all the necessary concours parts i'd use if it were a real one. 3. I want to drive my car, and wouldn't, if it were as valuable as a real one. This doesn't mean I don't want to learn about the Yenko, or to duplicate one as close as possible. In other words, I want to enjoy the hobby just as much as the guy who has a real one. There is no deceit, as confirmed by my username, and (if available) my license tag. I would gladly register mine as a replica, and show it with just as much pride. And yet, somehow, I don't think I would ever be considered "part of the group." I attended the first reunion, and saw where the only replica was asked to set up.
So what's the point? Simply that cowboys and ranch owners have a lot in common. We all love horses, don't we? Comments?
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 05-16-2000, 01:33 AM

Default Re: Yenko "fakes"

Right on! unreal I agree I too am building a replica /clone ZL-1 that I plan on driving every where I can and not to pass it off as a real GM delivered ZL-1 but my version of a 69 camaro powered by a ZL-1,I don't care what people think and if I wanted to afford a real ZL-1 I'd be afraid to drive it I think. If and when I choose to sell it I will probably sell it without the ZL-1 and replace it with another 427 ci in stock form.MIke
Old 05-16-2000, 01:53 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

I don't believe that anyone has ever said they had a problem with honest people and a "tribute" car. I have problems with the dishonest owners. You claim that the starting fee is to high for a "real one". What is the starting price? I have bought real Yenko's for less than 6000.00. You have to do some research. The cost of a clone that is done right would be the same as a real car done the same way, right? As for Yenko owners leaving them sit and not drive them, I would remind you that most owners drove and drag raced their cars at the first reunion. You do remember that don't you. The club is trying to get a handle on the amount of real cars and owners out there, and are trying to get together and release the numbers so that more cars can be located. Will the first new owner of a Yenko just discovered with help of the numbers being released even thank the efforts of the club? Maybe. The club was designed to register real cars. The efforts of the Clary's to do this was to have a place for the owners of these cars to have a forum and a yearly show to get together. I don't care that you are building a clone, but why put the owners down with the real cars. We are not all ranchers.
Old 05-16-2000, 03:04 AM

Unreal:
I've owned a replica also and had a lot of fun with it and I miss it. It was a beautiful and fast car...faster then the real thing.
I had to sell it to come up with the dollars for my "real" car.
I for one, am much more cautious about driving the real car.
The negative with the replica was always telling people that it was a replica.
Kinda took the steam out of the excitement.
When I drove it to the cruise-ins, people used to point and say "the Yenko, the Yenko".
Just my thoughts.
Gary
Old 05-16-2000, 12:45 PM

Brian, I'm not trying to start a "range war," here. Just trying to make the point of the real car owners, vs the rest of us wannabes. I don't doubt that you bought a real Yenko for 5 grand, but you and I both know that's the exception, not the rule. I applaud your knowledge on the subject, and more so, your decision to make your passion, your business. If all that experience improves your chances of finding another 5 grand gem, I applaud you for that, too.
My point, (probably, poorly explained) is that while fakers (including Volo) should be hanged from the nearest tree, the rest of us are innocently enjoying the hobby as best we can. Don't put us in the same barrel, and then shoot at us.

Gary
Old 05-16-2000, 03:12 PM

As president of the sYc, I would like to state our position on a couple of issues. First of all, we have never had a problem with clones, I know of a couple of dozen that have emailed me with info/pictures of their cars. I get 1-2 emails a week wanting info on one of the supercars to do a clone. I do not register them, as I have enough trouble finding time to keep up with the real cars, however, I have had to begin tracking the clones. Not because I want to, but because I have to. This is where the problem with clones arises. It seems that as long as the person who clones the car has it, there is not a problem, but once it is sold, then the clone becomes a fake. I know of at least two ongoing lawsuits over a clone being sold as a real car. The clone at the first reunion was parked away from the other cars by his choice, not mine. Bill F., who brought the car, is a friend of mine and did not want to be with the real Yenkos. He even offered to put a sign in front of the car stating that it was a clone, but I told him that he did not need to do that. The reason that most people do not bring clones to the reunion is for the fact that they do not want to be compared to the many real cars there. Also, we have to be careful, as we do not want someone to be able to sell a clone as a true Yenko simply because it was at the "Supercar Reunion". We are not trying to pick on anyone, as we at the sYc want EVERYONE to enjoy our great hobby. It just seems that there are always a few people who will try and make a buck or two at the expense of others. That is all we are trying the stop. As per enjoying a real Yenko versus a clone, here are our thoughts. My son and I, who are in charge of the sYc, are cowboys not ranchers. Even though we own a couple of Yenkos, we do not have a ton of money and have had to sacrifice to buy and restore our cars. But, we do enjoy them. Our Yenko Camaro has been shown at the USCA NATS, Super Chevy, NMCA, Carcraft, etc., went on the cruise and raced (along with several other supercars) at the first reunion, made 13 passes at the 1999 Pure Stock Drags (see March(?) 2000 of MCR magazine) and has made several passes at a local drag strip. We drive it in most locals parades. Our Yenko Corvair was raced at the second reunion by a friend of mine and will be racing at a couple of events this summer. My 1969 Yenko Nova, which is being restored, will be driven and raced. We are presently finishing an LS-6 Chevelle, which will attend numerous factory stock races.

------------------
Yenko Sportscar Club
www.yenko.net

Old 05-16-2000, 04:52 PM

How many times do I and the rest of us have to say that we don't mind replicars. Every time this subject come up it seem that the owners of real cars have to defend our efforts to restore and maintain their cars. I have very good friends that own cars that are clone cars and have even helped them with their efforts. I have friends with clones that know more about Yenko's than some owners of real cars. Do I push them into the corner, No, just ask one. I think that having the club for legit cars is fine. If you wish to participate in the club nobody is throwing stones. False cars that are advertised as real need to be revealed. If you think that the problem is with Supercars only, you are wrong. Fake Z's SS's cars and many more are being sold as real. The club is only trying to help expand the knowledge of people that are just starting into the hobby or just want to enjoy these rare cars. You don't need to own a car to enjoy one. I love WWII fighter planes , but will never own one. The misconception that owners of legit cars hate owners of built cars is just not true. Only the fake owners are at risk. I enjoy all parts of the supercar/musclecar hobby. A Boss 9 is as cool as a Z/28 to me. Should the club let in clones? I am not sure, My feelings on this subject is that only the legit cars participate. I want to see real cars at the nationals not clones, but I am not against those cars. It's a catch 22. We go to street rod events, Nova events, Ford events etc, and I don't own one of these cars. If a registry is started for clones, will a legit car be thrown to the wolves? Any other views on this touchy subject?
Old 05-16-2000, 07:51 PM

Tom, Brian, Marlin,
I agree that real cars, and clones should be in different classes, just as Super Stock and Stock are different classes. My point is not whether we should differentiate between the real car and the clone, but that we should differentiate between the cloner and the faker.
I agree with Tom's point that when a clone is sold, it can become a fake, but if we register the clones, it will be harder to fake (assuming the buyer tries to verify!)
Tom, I understand your being overwhelmed with tracking info for real Supercars. I would be willing to take on the task of keeping track of the clones. In my opinion, a clone needs to be more than a stripe and a badge, but we would need to determine what the minimum criteria should be.
Marlin, Adcox-Kirby is now Herb Adcox. Never know they were a Yenko distributor...Thanks for the info.

Gary

Old 05-17-2000, 05:28 AM

UNREAL:

I see from your profile that you are in Chatanooga, TN. Have you heard of a dealership named Adcox-Kirby Chev, in Chatanooga? This dealership was in the Yenko network, although I am not sure what models they received, or what years they were participating. There is always a possibility that an undiscovered Yenko car could be sitting around. Pick up the latest issue of Muscle Car Review, there is an article entitled "10 Best 'Found in a Barn Stories'" for some interesting Yenko finds.

Restoring a real Yenko car is possible, it just takes more time to save the money, find the car, research it, and then restore it. I thought I would be done mine by now, but time and money are mutually exclusive!

Marlin
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, & 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 07-29-2005, 01:34 AM

Thanked 4,262 Times in 1,984 Posts

With all clones, besides the intent, where does a "Tribute" or "Clone" become a fake? . Paint jobs, decals and stripes etc. are fine but when the repop cowl/trim & Mfg. tags are being used, this is stepping across a line. . All may seem fine when a guy builds the car like this, then he's hit by a bus and his stuff goes up for sale......the estate which had no intent to defraud sells the car.....then what?