Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 09-11-2007, 06:08 PM

Default Jet Hot Manifolds

I picked up some pristine 178/879 manifolds a few years ago, and had them Jet Hot Coated. I have never liked the look...more like Battleship Gray thas fresh cast iron. I've got the motor out to replace a wiped cam, and the damage it caused, and was considering having MacNeish do his magic stainless coating on them. The old ceramic coating has to come off, but Jerry said he doesn't have the right equipment to do it. I'm not sure what the right equipment is, so I called Jet Hot....they weren't sure either, but the sales tech said they soak stuff in nitric acid before coating. Of course I don't have a nitric acid vat.

Anyone have any experience with removing ceramic coatings, or have any ideas on how to proceed? Or should I look for another set of manifolds and have MacNeish do them, instead of trying to remove the ceramic coating?
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 09-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Jet Hot Manifolds

It would be a shame to damage an otherwise really nice set of jet-hot coated manifolds; I'd think you could get most of your money back on those on ebay or selling them here, and reinvest the money into another set of virgin manifolds that Jerry can then coat for you. Jet-Hot and other coatings are designed NOT to come off, so to get the coating completely off you may have to degrade the manifolds underneath.

Good luck! BCD.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:32 PM

if it just jet hots regular coating for manifolds just paint the cast heat paint over top,it will work just as good and the paint wont burn off.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:26 PM

I talked to a guy last night who suggested roughing up the surface with light blast, and coating with Eastwood's manifold coating that you bake on. We're going to try it on the heat riser to see how it works.

I had tried the Eastwood stuff before deciding to Jet Hot, and it did not hold up. You're supposed to run the engine within 24 hours, but since it was still on a stand, I heated them in the oven at the highest setting. Of course, I left them in the oven to cool, and forgot about them. My wife reminded me, when she opened the oven door to stick something in!!
Old 09-11-2007, 11:00 PM

Gary, Do what Guy Amato suggested. I bet it will work too. Sam
Old 09-12-2007, 06:13 AM

I think that color sucked too after I did a set if hi-po 409 ex manifolds...
Old 09-12-2007, 06:39 AM

What paint would you use? Would you need to prep the ceramic coating, or is it porous enough to hold the paint?
Old 09-12-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I talked to a guy last night who suggested roughing up the surface with light blast, and coating with Eastwood's manifold coating that you bake on. We're going to try it on the heat riser to see how it works.

I had tried the Eastwood stuff before deciding to Jet Hot, and it did not hold up. You're supposed to run the engine within 24 hours, but since it was still on a stand, I heated them in the oven at the highest setting. Of course, I left them in the oven to cool, and forgot about them. My wife reminded me, when she opened the oven door to stick something in!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I have had good results using Eastwood in the past, I think it is very important to bake the stuff before installation. They will smoke alot so do not use the oven unless she is out of town for awhile, the self cleaning mode is awsome.
Last time I did a set I used my outside gas grill, worked good and did not stink up the house.
Mike A
Old 09-12-2007, 06:44 PM

you can buy heat cast paint any where, I would not waste my time with that eastwood crap. the jet hot will keep the paint from burning off.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:24 AM

I agree!