Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 01-30-2019, 11:53 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default door seals

with these cars being over restored these days we forget that all parts were not perfect when they came from the factory, as long as there GM it really doesn't matter. they probably look more factory then you think
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LITTLE TOMMIE For This Useful Post:
dustinm (01-31-2019), ruralrte66 (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 12:56 AM

Rick,

I’ve heard of putting wrinkled NOS wx strips in hot water, but never tried it personally. Maybe try that with a small length of the rubber? The NOS roof rail weatherstrip that is available for the 69’s really isn’t the same as the originals for 69 Chevelle. I believe that is what you have in the photograph. The original roof rail weather strip for 69 had a molded groove for the side windows that the glass would fit into. What you have will eventually make its own groove over time. I found one in 25 years that is an original part, and it is different from the more modern GM replacement.

If you aren’t comfortable with that weatherstrip, maybe use a repop since the GM strip isn’t technically correct. Or, try mounting the NOS and see if it relaxes with time and with the windows pushed into the weather strip. Can you stretch them enough to pull out the wrinkles?

If I can find some pix of original roof rail weatherstrip with the groove, I’ll post.

Phil
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Woj For This Useful Post:
m22mike (01-31-2019), ruralrte66 (01-31-2019), SS427 (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 05:14 PM

Default NOS weatherstrip wrinkles

I would not use a heat gun-way too hot. I'd try the adjustable hair dryer, heat lamp or sunlight while stretching out the piece. I would also stay away from hot/warm water as the weatherstrip may absorb the water into the latex. But still try these methods on a used piece first. Just my opinion. Don.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:53 PM

i did a pair for a chevelle years ago, i was so disappointed in the way they looked right out of the box, i almost talked myself into buying new repops

..i fixed them on accident...i pulled the car out and the strips where laying on the hood of the car in the middle of summer for 3 days...came back on monday and freaked...

but was a good surprise, the sunlight, on a black hood and 4 cycles of heat and cool..made them really nice...95 degree weather and no clouds...i did nothing but throw them on the hood, got busy with something else, pulled the car out and just forgot them really..i gotta say..it was impressive how they ended up..and had people asking me how i got them to lay down so nice etc..it was pure accidental

i dont know if i would do that with the cost of them in 2019...i dunno...it was a total accident..and i think i bought those back then for 79 bux each..i cant remember now
Old 02-01-2019, 12:29 AM

I have a W72 foam gas line cover, it’s been folded for years, you can’t get the flat areas out.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:38 AM

Here is what is left of my original roof seals and they show the groove where the glass goes into for a good seal. I've never seen a correct reproduction of these either.
Attached Images

2023 Stingray Coupe Z51
The Following User Says Thank You to tunes For This Useful Post:
SS427 (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 03:16 AM

That is the groove I was referring to. I have one NOS weather strip that matches that. Bought it about 24years ago at Charlotte. It had the original part number from the 69 book, came in a GM bag.

The one I have isn’t in great shape, but good for reference. I can post pix over the weekend. I was hoping to get an opportunity to remake these, but that never happened.

Phil
The Following User Says Thank You to Woj For This Useful Post:
SS427 (02-01-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 02:10 AM

That type of seal looks like the 70- up Camaro style, did they change to that style for 71 or 72? and retro it to the 69 A body?

FWIW - the reproduction first gen Camaro OER LATEX Roof Rails are the old style like shown - I compared the profiles of the repro to the originals which I removed and they were the same through the cross section - the OER SEAL was superior to anything else available. -
I am interested in the outcome here as I need some for my 68 GTO and I WAS HOPING THAT OER made this type of seal for A-bodies - PHOTOS of the seal in the F body. -
Attached Images

NCRS#65120
68 GTO HO 4 spd Alpine Blue /Parchment 2 owner car
#21783 71 Corvette LT1 45k miles Orig paint - Brandshatch Green - National Top Flight - last known 71 LT1 built.
71 Corvette LT1 42k miles Original paint - Black - black leather - only black LT1 known to exist.
NUMEROUS Lemans blue Camaros,
Monza Red and Daytona Yellow Corvettes
& a Chevelle or two...
Survivors, restored cars, & other photos
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos

Last edited by firstgenaddict; 02-03-2019 at 02:39 AM.