Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 04-27-2019, 11:12 AM

Thanked 1,627 Times in 482 Posts

Don Yenko ran some 1969 Trans Am races in the ex Smokey Yunick 68 Camaro

and ran it at Daytona with many of the top TA cars
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoeC For This Useful Post:
PeteLeathersac (04-27-2019), seventieshow (04-30-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markinnaples View Post
bobm67, do you have any pics of your TA? Always loved those. There was a brown (rootbeer?) one that drove around the south hills of Pittsburgh back in the late 70's/early 80's that was nice, as well as a black one. Didn't see too many AAR Cuda's, but they're cool too. Would love to see some pics of your car.
funny you should mention that because I've always wondered what happened to that car..I met the guy and became good friends with him when I used to cruise South Park in my ragtop Chevelle back in the early 80's. the T/A was brown with the black fiberglass hood,340 pistol grip car..the six pack intake and carbs were on a shelf in his garage and he had a single Holley under the hood. last I saw it was in his Mom and Dads Bethel Park garage with boxes piled on top..doubt it would still be there but guess you never know.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:14 PM

Thanked 1,365 Times in 662 Posts

It'd be pretty cool if it was still in their garage. What was your Chevelle like?
Do you happen to remember a black T/A with flared rear wheel wells? I remember one like that as well. And since we're talking about old Pgh cars, do you remember a 71/72 Chevelle that was red/pink metal flake (I think)? May have had a tunnel ram or blower, big Cragars, etc.? There are probably a bunch of other cars that we both saw BITD in Pgh.
John 10:30
Old 05-03-2019, 02:05 PM

I graduated HS in '79..got this Chevelle SS not long after my graduation.. it was rough when I got it for a Grand,stripped it to bare metal..spent all the proceeds of my $5 an hour job to pay for it..lol used to hang at South Park with a pretty big group of guys that all had some kind of muscle car..we even had red satin jackets made with South Park Street Machines printed on..buddy of mine still has his jacket. sold it in '94 after having it 15 years...kick myself everyday..lol I had started racing dirt cars and the girl I was with at the time told me I couldn't afford the ragtop and the racecar,she was probably right to my credit I still race at PPMS,made my way up thru the ranks and in '05 was Rookie of the Year in the highest class..Super Late Model. run the Sportsman class now and ready for another year. have a '72 Nova I built over the last 10 years as a mid life crisis,plan to have fun till I no longer can. those two cars don't really ring any bells but then again my memory isn't what it used to be..lol there were so many badass rides out in that area back then it makes you wonder how many are still around. pic was taken in my Aunt's driveway in Syracuse,NY during the Car Craft Street Machine Nats..1984.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to racer67x For This Useful Post:
PeteLeathersac (05-03-2019), SS427 (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 02:54 PM

Speaking of parts stashes. In the mid 1980's a retired Traco Engineering employee moved to the Glendale, AZ area and along with him he brought his personal 69 Z along with tons of engine parts and pieces.
Of interest to Jerry, a friend of mine, were 2 1178 crankshafts that he had laying there. Wish I could remember the guys name, but he told Jerry they were used in engines that were in one of the blue Penske Camaros at one time. Jerry bought both, and I ended up with them later.

I used one a few years ago when I rebuilt the engine in our 69 Z. If the story is true, and I have no reason to think otherwise, I thought it would be neat to have a little piece of that history in my engine.

I don't know what happened to that fella or if Jerry could even remember his name, but he had some cool stories.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:23 PM

Thanked 1,365 Times in 662 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer67x View Post
I graduated HS in '79..got this Chevelle SS not long after my graduation.. it was rough when I got it for a Grand,stripped it to bare metal..spent all the proceeds of my $5 an hour job to pay for it..lol used to hang at South Park with a pretty big group of guys that all had some kind of muscle car..we even had red satin jackets made with South Park Street Machines printed on..buddy of mine still has his jacket. sold it in '94 after having it 15 years...kick myself everyday..lol I had started racing dirt cars and the girl I was with at the time told me I couldn't afford the ragtop and the racecar,she was probably right to my credit I still race at PPMS,made my way up thru the ranks and in '05 was Rookie of the Year in the highest class..Super Late Model. run the Sportsman class now and ready for another year. have a '72 Nova I built over the last 10 years as a mid life crisis,plan to have fun till I no longer can. those two cars don't really ring any bells but then again my memory isn't what it used to be..lol there were so many badass rides out in that area back then it makes you wonder how many are still around. pic was taken in my Aunt's driveway in Syracuse,NY during the Car Craft Street Machine Nats..1984.
I think I remember seeing your Chevelle in South Park once in a while. I didn't start going out there until 1983/84 when I was in high school. I lived down in Curry by Griffith Funeral Home (my brother in law) but in Baldwin. Man, I loved your Chevelle.
John 10:30