Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Baldwin-Motion Performance

Old 11-04-2016, 02:44 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 5,961 Times in 2,907 Posts
Default Re: 1969 corvette with "motion" ad ons ????

Here's a different car with a much more candid and honest description...

http://ebay.to/2fn0Anz

Old 12-19-2016, 12:34 PM

Looks like a nice project.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:05 PM

I was looking at Joel's letter... does he actually have any paperwork from back then?? It seems that only the cars that the owner already has paperwork get certified....are there any cars that have been certified where Joel had the paperwork and not the owner of the car ???
Old 12-19-2016, 03:06 PM

Thanked 3,668 Times in 993 Posts

As I recall Joel has boxes of paperwork that he has to sift thru whenever looking to document a car.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:40 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Charley Lillard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As I recall Joel has boxes of paperwork that he has to sift thru whenever looking to document a car. </div></div>

Not that I an questioning your recollection Charley, but based on my limited conversations with Joel...and what I have seen regarding cars that he has and has not documented, I don't believe he has much paperwork on the vehicles that he worked on.(I may be wrong)...jmho

I'd really like to see one example of a car that he documented using HIS paperwork and not the car owner's.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:00 PM

Thanked 1,627 Times in 482 Posts

Joel had all the paperwork on the 2 cars I bought from him. They are 1980s cars but he did save all the 15 yr old paperwork on them.

When I bought the cars from him, he was in the process of moving from NY to FL. I went to his home and he was selling off some items and had boxes of old stuff. The box my paperwork was in was from the 1980s but he opened another box and was 1960s stuff in there, he pulled out an old time slip and gave it to me. It is for an 11 sec pass in a 1969 Corvette at Atco Dragway. He sold me some old tee shirts, Jackets, decals, signs, and other items from the 60s 70s and 80s.

He had another box with copies of old original pictures from the 1960s from when he was working on a project with Ertl Models.

Some of the old photos were taken by Marty Schorr for Cars Magazine.

Joel had Ertl make some of the models to the original pictures.

He gave me a photo of the 1968 Motion Chevelle race car.

I was told back in the 1980s when people were hunting down Motion cars, Joel was working with a private investigator who helped find original owners that Joel had the names of. Some cars were found and in some cases the cars were long gone but the original owners still had paperwork and pictures and gave it to Joel.

There were other ways where Joel was able to get some original paperwork and put it with known cars and some paperwork was found but the cars were not found.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:06 PM

So, in conclusion, Joel definitely had the paperwork on his two 80's cars that he still owned when he sold them..and he has a ton of old memorabilia and old photos that Marty Schorr and others took and accumulated over the years.. and he has some paperwork that owners have given him...

This does not convince me that he actually has saved old paperwork(actual invoices or documentation) from when Motion was actually in it's heyday .. ( maybe I am wrong)

Has anyone received any actual paperwork on a 60's or early 70's car 'from Joel' that he saved all these years or has any car been certified by Joel that was not already known or the current owner did not have their own paperwork?? [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 12-27-2016, 10:56 PM

In the past there has been a car that had no paper work available, then car is sold and it gets paper work from joel. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2016, 02:06 PM

Thanked 1,627 Times in 482 Posts

I can not speak for Joel or Marty but they have said in the past, that some old paperwork was found on some of the old cars.

There were, of course, far more potential Motion cars where nothing was found.

They never said there was a list of vins or a lot of info found but one interesting story is in the Motion book Marty wrote that Joel found the 1970 yellow Phase III GT after a 5 year search that started in 1985 , it changed hands a few times, was painted black, found in Minnesota, but had the correct VIN . This is on page 138 and 139 of the Motion book.

In a SuperChevy article on same car, Marty writes &quot;Rosen was able to supply the car's original paperwork including customer invoice and shop orders, insuring the restoration would be totally accurate&quot;

I don't know what exactly was found on the old cars but I don't find it hard to believe that at least some info was found.

Here are a few reasons why ,
Joel had the same home and same shop in LI NY from the mid 1960s into the 1990s,
Marty worked in the automotive publishing business from the mid 1960's to present,
when you talk to them in person, they can recall many small details and stories ,
I have seen for myself that they both saved items from back in the day,
I know some documentation was found by collectors because Joel supplied original owners names on some cars,
Joel helped collectors like Otis Chandler find top level documented cars in the 1980s,
Joel bought back some cars, and other reasons.

SuperChevy article on the yellow 1970 Phase III GT

http://www.superchevy.com/features/v...ion-corvettes/

article on Marty's blog &quot;Car Guy Chronicles&quot; with some info on Otis's cars and finding other cars and original pictures

http://www.carguychronicles.com/2011...tion.html#more
Old 12-30-2016, 09:58 AM

Thanks Joe ! Apparently there are some old 'actual' records In Joel's possession.