Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 06-12-2020, 07:57 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Other headers vs traditional long tube headers.

I have a set of long tube headers I took off my Z back in 2000, not sure of brand, and installed manifolds for a while with a new exhaust. Well it's time to change the exhaust. I'm going with the alum coated steel chambered exhaust. I had problems with removing spark plug #5, and burned up several boots a lot, and just got fed up with that, with those long tube headers I have. Oddly, these headers allow me to use my reverse lock out rod. Was surprised to see it still with the car.

Is there a header that can be used with the OEM style header pipes WITHOUT cutting them? Been reading tons of stuff that most members here and others from different sites are doing, but most of it I don't believe I really need. Not going balls to the wall with expense, so a reasonably priced set will do just fine. I'm wanting to go the day 2 look, and was even thinking of going the white paint look on the headers like I did in the early 70's with my first day 2 Z28. I think I had blackjacks then.

If there isn't a header for what I want to do what can you recommend for cutting the head pipes and what is needed to attach to the collector using the headers I have? I did the welding of the head pipes and collector on my very first set of headers, but it didn't look pretty. So here is were I need the help most. I like the band style clamps, can the header pipe be attached that way to the collector if I saw it off, or will it require welding. I'm better at that now a days. I guess I'm looking for a cleaner look at that attachment spot.

Thanks

Last edited by GaryC; 06-12-2020 at 07:59 AM.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 06-17-2020, 04:08 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

OK. Was there a sheet in regards to the chambered exhaust installation? I thought I had seen something many years ago.