Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 05-30-2019, 03:00 PM

Default trunk spatter

Hi all,

I am needing do my trunk spatter in my 1969 Nova ss. It is the black with aqua. I bought a quart of the product from "The Parts Place" (about $70).I

I am trying to figure out the best way to spray it an get good results. I have heard a primer gun, but I am afraid it would bread up the paint globs to much. I have also heard about using a undercoat gun? Not sure how that would work. Those guns are meant to attach to a bottle.

Does anyone have any tips on doing this or know of any good articles or posts?

Thanks
Kevin
Attachments - The Supercar Registry 20190615_193312.jpg 20190612_155645.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 05-30-2019, 05:55 PM

Found this response in a thread from Lynn:

01-12-2013, 03:27 AM
Here is an old post from 2005, and how I contacted John Berlage.

My name is John Berlage. I own a Butternut yellow 69 Yenko, as well as a 69 maroon copo. I faced the same problem everyone else is experiencing when it comes to finding a good trunk paint. A couple of years ago i spent year and a half looking for a good source. I stumbled upon and OEM supplier that produced the paint for GM. During my restoration of my yenko, before sandblasting the trunk, I sprayed some of the new paint over the old. I could not tell a difference. The paint in my opinion is the best you can get. I would like everyone to keep in mind that each GM plant did have variation in texture and look. For anyone who is skeptical please email me at [email protected] for pictures of my yenkos trunk.

I would also like to note, since it has come up on this discussion, how you apply the product is critical to how the paint looks. During my search I also discovered that GM used a very specific gun to spray the paint.

They used a binks 2001 gun, with a 200 tip, a 66 fluid nozzle and a internal mix aircap.
George.

George:

The 2100 could be used with either a suction cup or a pressure pot.
Any idea which one they used?
I have an old Binks Model 7 (yeah, it dates me for sure) with three different air caps, but only a 36 fluid nozzle. According to the binks site, the "very heavy" fluids should use a 38 nozzle. I found a 38 fluid nozzle and a 38PM air cap, but no 38 needle.
Unfortunately, I don't know what the different Binks code numbers relate to as far as mm size of tips. The 7 can be used either siphon or pressure.

To make it worse, the 2100 uses a completely different set of code numbers. I think a 66 fluid nozzle for the 2100 is the same size as the 36 on the Model 7.
Any input from paint gun gurus is appreciated.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roeville For This Useful Post:
ScottG (06-01-2019), Therocknss (05-31-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 08:05 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

I have used a pressure pot to spray the last ones I have done... with a wire over the end of the pick up to literally cut the blobs...

The next one I was going to spray with a WAGNER power painter... because of the way it atomizes paint I thought it may be the best... using a pressure pot I had spotty results I got a finish I was satisfied with, however I would have like to have been more consistent... I sprayed more paint doing tests than I did in the entire trunk...
If one were doing 10 cars at once you wouldn't feel so bad wasting a quart doing tests however blowing through a quart running tests for one trunk is nearly against my religion... I SAID NEARLY~
NCRS#65120
68 GTO HO 4 spd Alpine Blue /Parchment 2 owner car
#21783 71 Corvette LT1 45k miles Orig paint - Brandshatch Green - National Top Flight - last known 71 LT1 built.
71 Corvette LT1 42k miles Original paint - Black - black leather - only black LT1 known to exist.
NUMEROUS Lemans blue Camaros,
Monza Red and Daytona Yellow Corvettes
& a Chevelle or two...
Survivors, restored cars, & other photos
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to firstgenaddict For This Useful Post:
BCreekDave (05-30-2019), ScottG (06-01-2019), Therocknss (05-31-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 02:27 PM

Last night I did a test spray of black with aqua trunk spatter from "The Parts Place" using a Wagner Power Painter.

When gently stiring the product, you can really see the green specs, and the color on the paint stick looked close. I have a sample piece of metal from my original trunk to compare it too. i do think the specs are a little smaller in the new paint.

It did "not" work. It came out looking like blackish gray undercoat and i could not see any of the green specks. My guess is the way the electric power painter's small piston throws the paint, it probably breaks up the green specs.

Next I will try my primer gun.
The Following User Says Thank You to Therocknss For This Useful Post:
firstgenaddict (06-06-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 12:25 PM

an Earlier thread;

https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=120533

I have used The Parts Place black/aqua a few times sprayed out of Devilbiss Finish line gun with 1.8 tip ( no strainer or screen in cup/gun of course) with good results.
Although the very first time was sent a can that had either been frozen or frozen in shipping, it performed terribly, which they replaced.
Most recently picked up a can from Ausley's at spring Carlisle.
not sure what happened but the spatters in the can were already small, and sprayed out small through a primer gun with 2.0 tip. Looks no better than hobby store faux granite finish or the water soluble automotive stuff that comes in a buzz-bomb. I contacted The Parts Place to inquire if supplier or product had recently changed and got nowhere....pretty disinterested in my experience, not sure I'll get anywhere with Ausley's either. But I would still use this product over any other.
70 340 Dart Swinger
70 SS396 Chevelle 4spd
70 SS396 Chevelle
70 BB 4spd Monte Carlo
70 SS454 Monte Carlo
71 SB 4spd Monte Carlo
71 SS454 Monte Carlo
71 Corvette LS-5 conv.
71 Corvette LT-1 conv.
71 Corvette LS-6 coupe
72 Monte Carlo
72 Monte Carlo Custom
72 442 W-30 clone
76 Trans Am SE 455 4 spd
85 Mustang GT Conv.
86 Grand National
02 SS conv.

Last edited by DaveC68; 06-09-2019 at 12:31 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:21 PM

Thanked 2,110 Times in 546 Posts

I spoke with a resto guy that swears by Zolatone trunk spatter paint for accurate factory finish. I have no personal experience but will need to make that decision in a few months.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:46 PM

Ok, It's done. After trying various methods, I got great results by using a soft foam roller from Home Depot and foam brushes. When doing it, I used the foam brush to do corners and other areas the roller will not do. Just dont press hard on roller or brush. If you do, it smashs the aqua specks. No bid deal, you just roll over it again. It does not show roller marks. I have samples of the original truck floor spatter to compare it to, and I am very happy. Doing it this way also eliminated me from overspray. Like I said in earlier post, i used: black with aqua. I bought a quart of the product from "The Parts Place".

Before breaking out your spray gun, I recommend buying a cheap roller and doing a test.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therocknss View Post
Ok, It's done. After trying various methods, I got great results by using a soft foam roller from Home Depot and foam brushes. When doing it, I used the foam brush to do corners and other areas the roller will not do. Just dont press hard on roller or brush. If you do, it smashs the aqua specks. No bid deal, you just roll over it again. It does not show roller marks. I have samples of the original truck floor spatter to compare it to, and I am very happy. Doing it this way also eliminated me from overspray. Like I said in earlier post, i used: black with aqua. I bought a quart of the product from "The Parts Place".

Before breaking out your spray gun, I recommend buying a cheap roller and doing a test.
Can you post pictures of your finished trunk? I too have the same material, but have yet to use it. Thanks.

Phil Woj
Old 06-18-2019, 12:23 AM

I would love to see the results too.

I'm not happy with my latest black/aqua from Parts Place. I ordered a second can and found the specs to be just as small as in the first can. It is no where near the base color or size spatter of the original section on the trunk divider, which I left original. (Photos below)
Sad to see the parts place stuff look no better than dupli-color buzz bomb. I've had good luck in the past with this product.

I did get a return call from the Manager confirming nothing had changed in regards to the manufacturer or product, very helpful, but no solution. Sprayed some out of a schutz gun with the same results. Small specs cannot become big spatters!

Anyone used this?
http://thorntonmusclecars.com/produc...-spatter-paint
I may give this a try next, you apply the splatts from a separate can.

(I don't want to waste more product at this point...moving on.)
Attached Images

70 340 Dart Swinger
70 SS396 Chevelle 4spd
70 SS396 Chevelle
70 BB 4spd Monte Carlo
70 SS454 Monte Carlo
71 SB 4spd Monte Carlo
71 SS454 Monte Carlo
71 Corvette LS-5 conv.
71 Corvette LT-1 conv.
71 Corvette LS-6 coupe
72 Monte Carlo