Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 11-05-2008, 03:09 AM

Default Re: Barrett Jackson Las Vegas

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know why I am following this perhaps its like stopping to look at an auto accident on the side of the road?

Its my understanding the original shell absent the identity tags was sold and the identity tags with the paperwork was sold at another time??? Then we are presuming they were never reunited?????????

Anyway, NJSteve I think despite the boilerplate consignment K the buyer is a buyer in good faith and if his funds have not been disbursed BJ can and should withhold payment to the seller pending the cloud being removed from the title? In this case I think the cloud can be removed by removing a fender and checking for the hidden heaterbox VIN? That would be best answered by a Camaro expert? The way I read the K, BJ doesn't waive liability for selling a car with an illegally transferred VIN once they are put on notice. Absent notice I think they have no liability? In this case it appears BJ is on notice the car may have the VIN and identity of another car and I think if I was advising them I would advise them to withhold the funds and put the funds in escrow. I would also advise them to just go out and pull the fender while this is removal is being videotaped and look for the VIN. The NHP would also do it while the car is still here. If no VIN or wrong VIN I would tell the seller to pick up his car and give the buyer his money back. It doesn't matter whether the seller was a good faith seller in due course he is stuck with the car. I know BJ doesn't pay their sellers for at least a month so the funds should still be there. If the car has been shipped it needs to come back to Vegas and NHP can investigate its identity.
What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Great point. I totally forgot about the delay in payment that the auction houses have. This is the exact reason it's there (and to collect that month's worth of interest on the money ).

Now that the auction house and the seller/buyer are all on notice of this issue, I bet that at least the NHP and the NICB will be there for an inspection. The NICB has a lot of experienced investigators that specialize in examining VIN swaps for chop shop cases. They have a lot of "vintage" car guys that know their vintage cars, too.

BTW, I mentioned this idea on the Camaro site:

This would be a great opportunity for someone to establish a "pre-certification" process that documents a car's body/drivetrain as "born-with" by establishing baseline conditions before any work is done on it, as well as during and after the restoration.

It's kind of like getting permits for building a house...you get the foundation OK'd then the electrical checked off, then the plumbing, etc., until the final certificate of occupancy is granted. You don't just build the house and get the paperwork afterwards to prove you did it correctly.

For example: you find that proverbial semi-rusty, barn-find, black and gold ZL-1 and that's when you have someone come out and photograph/document every square inch of it including all the confidential VIN locations. Then when it's in the midst of the metal work, he comes back again to check it off, and then after paint you get a certificate of originality (or occupancy if you aren't going to drive the darn thing ).

It's kind of like what we do here by photgraphically documenting our never-ending restoration stories. You are there to see every step from the find to the finish with no mysterious missing chapters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said. A picture is worth a thousand words.The hidden numbers before its stripped then a pic of the same vin
in bare metal. Oh yes in clear macro pictures.Surely if you are restoring a prized valuable car you would proudly display the hidden vins.Unless you are trying to fool someone.

PJ
Old 11-05-2008, 04:06 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

[ QUOTE ]
To 70whatever, I am so sick and tired of "johnny come latelys" who like to bring a personal agenda to the site. Has that vehicle been run down a strip in the last twenty years? Do us all a favor, head to A1A and head east.

[/ QUOTE ]

Congradulations, you've been appointed a spokesman for the whole board? Hats off to you! And yes, I took your advice and headed east from A1A, the beach was beautiful!! As far as the vehicle goes, mine pretty much stays in the garage/trailer, if you really need to know. Have a great night!
Old 11-06-2008, 03:17 AM

When this board first began it was a group of enthusiasts who used it as a form of communication to help one another with restorations, parts and information, there was a camaraderie and a respect that was extended among members of the club. We speak to each other with respect if you take a look at the date of when I joined and then take a look at when you joined you will see a long time difference. The comment that I made about when you ran your car last has to do with our club's philosophy, we run them. As to your personal attack I know that I am not alone in the way I feel, Where I come from you earn your "stripes" before running your mouth. I do not appreciate the fact that you are trying to smear the good name of a person who has contributed so much to our hobby. Jerry has forgotten more than you will ever know. Thanks for bringing all the things that we hate about other boards to this board, and the reccomendation about A1A has to do with where you should drive after "the beautiful beach". Andrew Hinckley