Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > In Memoriam

Old 03-21-2007, 06:49 AM

Default Re: Larry Clain B/Motion collector dies/cars STOLEN

Wow I cant believe that not even 1 car has been found!
Old 06-19-2007, 02:55 AM

I have had many things stolen over the years,and sooner or later the truth comes out.Most of what I had stolen was parts,but a friends car was stoeln out of my shop too.Everything was revealed sooner or later.I ended up working on 2 different cars that had parts that were stolen off my car{which wasnt stolen just stripped in my driveway}.
Here is the real kick in the teeth.The car that was stolen out of my garage was pulled over by the cops the night it was stolen{we didnt know it was gone for a week}.The car had no registration or insurance,but since it was a hot rod and didnt look like a street car and the cop didnt feel like busting the kids ballz,he let him go because the kid said he was only driving it a few blocks to his garage to work on it.The cops told us who had it as soon as we called it in stolen,but they refused to go look for it since they car was old and had no paperwork other then a title so it was junk to them{the kid who owned it had over 10 grand invested in an 11 second drivetrain and the car was MINT}.The kid who stolen it went MIA for a few months then was arrested for something else so we couldnt get to him.A few months later he was driving a clean 80 malibu with a beatin and choppin 406 under the hood and a 12 bolt with very distinct modifications to it.After I inspected the car on the street and verified it was built using the stolen parts we waited down the block for the kid to come out of his house so that we could jump him.After a while long wait we made like we were leaving and drove around the block and caught him taking off in the car.A high speed chase persued,and I guess I built that 406 a little too good since we didnt stand a chance of catching him and he almost killed dozens of people in the process.We never saw the car again and I only saw the kid drivng by once after that in a brand new pickup truck,and he moved from Jersey to Florida after that and a while later his obituary was in the paper.So the mystery of where this car and the parts went will remain unsolved.I think I may have the engine block out of it since I recently purchased a fresh.040" over 400 block from a local machine shop that was painted the same blueover orange as the engine that was stolen,and both engines were from 1973 pasenger cars.I struggle with the idea of what to do with this engine,but I have no proof,and I did pay good money for it,so I guess it is mine.

As for the cars that were stolen,it is a shame since in parts the cars are practically worthless compared to what they are as a whole.Even if they were tagged or otherwise altered,they would be worthless since most of them are fairly high end cars that would be impossible to document with altered VIN numbers.so basically somebody stole a million dollars worth of cars and could only stand to profit about 50 grand in parts value.what a shame.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:02 AM

I know how you feel.Back in 1968 I had a 57 chevy 2 door Hardtop black/white.I bought the car a roller and the previous owner had 1967 GTO interior modified to fit this car and it looke really nice.I went to Bud Moore Chevrolet and bought a brand new 327/300 HP engine and a muncie 4 speed trans,both in factory crates.I lived with my sister and brother in law and he helped me get the 57 going.And GO it did.It turned out to be a really fine little 57.About 2 months after the 57 was running I wake up and get ready to go to work one Monday morning and the 57 is gone,I thought my brother in law had taken it to work so I was going to drive his 59 t bird.Then my sister came in the kitchen and I asked for the keys to the T bird.She asked what for so I explained that my Brother in law had taken the 57 to work.She proceded to explain that he was sick and not going to work and was still in bed.Well I called the Police,they came and made a report and that was the last I ever seen the 57.It was gone forever.We knew a lot of people and a sharp eye was kept out for the car but we never seen or heard about it again.I was a poor kid growing up and I had worked my ASS off to get the money for that kind of a car.I had a regular job,I shined shoes every saturday all day at a local barbershop,did a few lawns,helped others work on there cars etc.I did not go out and have a good time like all my friends because I was saving "ALL" my money for a nice car and when I ran across the 57 Belaire that was the one I wanted.I spent about $850.00 for the car,engine and trans just for some LOW LIFE to steal it.Till this day when I see a black/white 57 Bellaire 2 door hdt I look at it very close!I had the title to the car for years and years and finally when my home was destroyed in the flood in 1994 it was destroyed.I know I will never see that car again.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:06 AM

At least you didn't almost run down a dozen people trying to get your car back!!!!

Believe me, the parents who lost a kid by getting run down on the highway never get over it.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:14 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

anybody know this car?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet...1QQcmdZViewItem

Old 06-21-2007, 03:37 AM

Send a message via ICQ to 55chevy Send a message via AIM to 55chevy Send a message via Yahoo to 55chevy

[ QUOTE ]
anybody know this car?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet...1QQcmdZViewItem

[/ QUOTE ]

Can we keep the focus of this thread on Larry and his missing cars please?

As far as an update goes.. Last I was told is the investigation is still ongoing...
Old 06-21-2007, 03:56 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Sorry Ed, I was just wondering if this may have been one of his cars....I want all of us to keep looking for those cars ...
Old 07-07-2007, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Larry Clain B/Motion collector dies/cars STOL

I spoke with the estate administrator [I have a few other titles...] a few days ago and he advised me that the investigation is moving closer. He would not go into details - I tried a few slanted questions to get to the crux of it, but he wouldn't budge.

I have a call in to the detective conducting the investigation and I am awaiting word.

Sorry about the gaps in communication, but life has thrown a few curve balls and I don't want to spew anything but verified information.

For what it is worth, Rick - the detective - is pretty much of a bloodhound. Good recovery record.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:12 PM

Thanked 5,357 Times in 1,880 Posts

GOod to hear that it's moving forward!
Old 07-07-2007, 10:13 PM

Send a message via ICQ to 55chevy Send a message via AIM to 55chevy Send a message via Yahoo to 55chevy

[ QUOTE ]
I don't want to spew anything but verified information.

[/ QUOTE ]

You also don't want to put out anything that could hinder the investigation or tip off the ass hole thieves before they get 'em.. There's no telling who is lurking around keeping an eye on this... possibly the thieves themselves.. Somebody always knows something.. I just wish that somebody would do the right thing in this case.