Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 06-14-2020, 10:33 PM

Default Antique Auto Battery ??

I have a Delco DC12REV/HD battery from Antique Auto Battery in Hudson OH. It is still in the box, an I believe it has never been out of it. My question is this: I thought these repo batteries were simply a case with an AGM battery inside of it. This one is a regular battery dry, with no acid in it, and instructions how to activate. Their website doesn't describe anything like this one, and I don't see any pricing. How much did they cost? Thanks for any info, Dale.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 06-16-2020, 12:42 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Dale, the business closed a while back. I believe the older batteries were made like yours. The new reproductions have the new internals. There is or was a business in Youngstown Ohio that makes the reproduction batteries. I bought one a few years back. It was around 300. They stamped the date code in the case. The internals are new and not water acid filled like the older one you have.

Jim's Antique Auto Battery Youngstown, Ohio.

Rich

Last edited by Mr. Chevy; 06-16-2020 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-16-2020, 01:05 PM

Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,139 Posts

Jim's Battery Mfg.
602 W. Rayen Avenue
Youngstown, OH 44502
330-480-0755

More detailed info.. http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.or...topic=151007.0
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr70 For This Useful Post:
Mr. Chevy (06-16-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chevy View Post
Dale, the business closed a while back. I believe the older batteries were made like yours. The new reproductions have the new internals. There is or was a business in Youngstown Ohio that makes the reproduction batteries. I bought one a few years back. It was around 300. They stamped the date code in the case. The internals are new and not water acid filled like the older one you have.

Jim's Antique Auto Battery Youngstown, Ohio.

Rich
How were the ones like I have for reliability etc. compared to OE ones? Wondering if it's worthwhile keeping for my '65 GTO. Dale
Old 06-16-2020, 02:40 PM

They were ok. My buddy had one for his 68 Chevelle and it lasted for several years. I do know the newer ones last longer due to the newer technology.

Big thing with these batteries is to disconnect the negative terminal when the car is sitting not in use. I always do this over winter storage and never use a battery tender and my batteries have always been fine. Plus this kills all power in the event something shorts and starts a fire. Several of my cars have the original wire harnesses, plus I always have a fire extinguisher in the car.

The last battery I bought for my Chevelle at Jim's in Youngstown still works fine. When I bought it the guy that put it together told me the big thing was disconnecting the negative cable when not in use more so than using the tender. I have always done that anyhow so I was used to it.

Rich

Last edited by Mr. Chevy; 06-16-2020 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:33 PM

Rich, is there a specific reason to disconnect the negative battery cable instead of the positive cable? Is this due to the electrons flowing from negative to positive?
Old 06-16-2020, 09:05 PM

Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,139 Posts

12 years with the same R59 maintenance free battery now.I have it on a Tender,and also disconnect the - after pulling up to car cruises,as well as while on the Tender too.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mssl72 View Post
Rich, is there a specific reason to disconnect the negative battery cable instead of the positive cable? Is this due to the electrons flowing from negative to positive?
By removing the negative battery cable you are disconnecting the battery from the chassis of your vehicle. If you begin to remove the positive side before the negative and your wrench would make contact with any part of the vehicle, then you could cause a short in the system. Or if something grounded itself nothing would happen.

No contact, no circuit, no drainage.

Rich

Last edited by Mr. Chevy; 06-16-2020 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-20-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chevy View Post
By removing the negative battery cable you are disconnecting the battery from the chassis of your vehicle. If you begin to remove the positive side before the negative and your wrench would make contact with any part of the vehicle, then you could cause a short in the system. Or if something grounded itself nothing would happen.

No contact, no circuit, no drainage.

Rich
That is the best advice for disconnecting batteries, negative cable first off, last on.
I had a long discussion with a fireman at MCACN a few years back because he was telling people to remove the Positive cable ! I tried, in vain, explaining to him that it was actually not safe doing it that way......and he said....."That's the way our Chief wants it"
Mike
Old 06-21-2020, 01:24 AM

I have two nos Y55 batteries that I filled with acid and used. One lasted just three years and other four years. Gutted the one from the bottom and it’s a mess and now have the second one to do. I have a nos r59 and thinking it might be better to gut now vs a few years later with acid mess to deal with.
Few Corvettes
Our 68 Z/28 Build thread- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584