Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 07-30-2003, 03:14 AM

Default 69 Yenko camaro drag car spotted??

A friend contacted me on Monday that had raced at the Humbolt Co dragway Saturday night the 26th.He said there was a White/black strip 69 Yenko camaro there.He went on to say the car was tubbed back in 69 and had approx 215 miles on it.He said the people that brought it had just purchased the car after 10 years of trying to do so.He did not get a vin and could not reach me on my phone so guess where i'll be this Saturday night!! He went on to say it had a steel 427 in it.Dont know much more at this time but has anyone heard of such a car in the U.S much less anywhere near Iowa? If it's there I will get pictures,vin,tag info.Is there a range in the vins that most Yenkos fall into??
Update when I have more info. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2003, 03:27 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,149 Posts
Default Re: 69 Yenko camaro drag car spotted??

If it is really a Yenko,and is originally White,wouldn't that make it a (<font color="red">*</font>) COPO? I'm being sincere here.
Old 07-30-2003, 05:13 AM

First off you guys are the experts here,im pretty new to this Yenko,copo stuff.I have tons of interest and see many,many cars a year out here in Iowa and surrounding states.Trust me there's lots of good stuff to be had although be it,it is alittle rusty around here!
What does the white color have to do with it being a Yenko/copo?Did Don not convert any white cars himself? Fill me in alittle so I am a little more prepared to converse with this guy.
Maybe this car is another clone and he's got all the locals fooled with his story and car,,,maybe not.I dont want to show a bunch of interest in a fake car and make the guy feel like im another shmuck and make his day while he's the actual wanabe. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif[/img]

Old 07-30-2003, 07:57 AM

By coincidence I just got home from Iowa about an hour ago, dont let the corn fields fool anyone, many rare and lost/missing cars are to be found in Iowa. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] As for the possible Yenko, unless the car has been repainted, which with 200 miles it should'nt be, I would look for the Yenko badging or evidence of being removed. Not to say a fake cant have the badging, but I havent seen a high quality Yenko emblem yet that could pass for the real deal. Maybe I am wrong, anyone know of fake emblems that do pass for real?
Motown [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2003, 01:49 PM

I don't believe Don Yenko had Dover White as one of the Original colors his sYc Camaros came in.
But Jack Douglass from Hinsdale Il. did,so thus the reference of the (*) asterik COPO Camaro.
This seems to be how the hobby has referenced Jack Douglass's 1969 Yenko appearing COPO camaros.

Old 07-30-2003, 11:50 PM

Rick not the hobby, just this site.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:57 PM

Well it must be spreading,because I talked to a non-SuperCar Registry enthusiast at SC Indy who said,"I saw one of those asterik Camaros". [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 07-31-2003, 12:17 AM

In any event, I think it ended up as Jack Douglass Yenko*/ Copo , or, Copo/Yenko*, not just "an asterisk Camaro".
Old 07-31-2003, 12:22 AM

The way things have been going in the last few years it should be a Camaro$. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Motown [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
Old 07-31-2003, 02:24 AM

DS, back in the 60s there were stories of a Yenko camaro that ran at ,what they used to call Nitta dragstrip, which is now Humbolt. That car was supposed to be from Cedar Rapids.I always thought that was the Swisher Ia. car that Gary Holub owns. Maybe not! Schonye