Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 07-15-2021, 06:53 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Story #3 (not quite a tow rig story, but related):

It was the last day of work before Christmas, in the late 1990's timeframe. I left work early to run up to the Case/IH dealer to get some parts for my Farmall. I was northbound on I-75, about to make the transition onto westbound I-69 (in Flint, Michigan) when this blue Chevy crew cab dually kind of eases past me on the right. I noticed it had Illinois plates, and I also noticed it said "Leased to Simpson Motorsports" on the side. That seemed kind of familiar, and as it went by I thought to myself "gee, the guy driving that looks like Arnie Beswick"...

Just about the time he gets straightened out in front of me, this huge tarp/blanket blows off the back of the truck (...scares the daylights outta' me!) and off into the median, revealing this HUGE pro mod type motor with tiger stripes on the valvecovers!

We both roll down the road a little ways when the pickup pulls off to the right, and I follow. The driver hops out of his truck and we meet there on the shoulder, I stick my hand out and say "You lost your tarp, Arnie".. He gets this look on his face, that he always gets when he sees me or my dad, like "...I know you from somewhere..". So we exchanged our usual introductions and then start deciding what to do about the tarp, which is far enough back down the roadway that we can't see it. I suggest that I am going to a tractor store, and he could follow me there and buy another, but he decides since the weather looks good he'll just make a run for it. We say our good bye's and off we go, each in our separate directions.

Well....after I bought my tractor parts I headed back home and....guess what...the tarp is still laying in the median. I stopped and grabbed it, threw it in the back of my truck. Then, when I went to Norwalk that next August, I brought it with me and gave it back to him. We had a good laugh about that, and I suppose if you asked him about it he would still remember...

For those who don't know, Arnie used to have a lot of work done at Diamond Collision, in Flint. He had retrieved the motor from the car to have it freshened up and left the car there for some additional work.

K
All great stories Keith. Thanks for sharing!
Old 07-15-2021, 11:32 PM

I've always loved talking to that guy.
Old 07-16-2021, 12:12 PM

Thanked 1,560 Times in 814 Posts

I remember in the early nineties my family and I were at Bloomington Gold Corvette show when it was actually in Bloomington Illinois!
Anyway we were invited to Dale Smith’s(RIP)(OEM Glass) farm for a bbq party and by the end of the night Ronnie Sox and Arnie Beswick were doing burnouts in the driveway in their respective drag cars.
It was an experience I will never forget.
Richard Branson has his space flight, I have Lil’Boss and Tameless Tiger doing burnouts right in front of me!
2013 Corvette Grand Sport 60th Anniversary
-Delivered to Bill Jacobs Chevrolet, Joliet, IL
NCRS#66003

“Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don’t.”-Pete Seeger

http://dykstramotorsports.weebly.com/index.html

Last edited by dykstra; 07-16-2021 at 12:34 PM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dykstra For This Useful Post:
67since67 (07-16-2021), dustinm (07-16-2021), PeteLeathersac (07-16-2021), RPOLS3 (07-16-2021), SMS (07-16-2021), Too Many Projects (07-16-2021), Xplantdad (07-17-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 01:13 PM

Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,346 Posts

"by the end of the night Ronnie Sox and Arnie Beswick were doing burnouts in the driveway in their respective drag cars."

Any liquid courage involved with that display..
I'm sure that WAS a memorable experience.

Too bad we can't download images from our memories to display. Seems computers/phones can do almost anything else. Wonder how long before they can do this...
1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
dykstra (07-16-2021), SMS (07-16-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 01:32 PM

Thanked 1,707 Times in 732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dykstra View Post
I remember in the early nineties my family and I were at Bloomington Gold Corvette show when it was actually in Bloomington Illinois!
Anyway we were invited to Dale Smith’s(RIP)(OEM Glass) farm for a bbq party and by the end of the night Ronnie Sox and Arnie Beswick were doing burnouts in the driveway in their respective drag cars.
Richard Branson has his space flight, I have Lil’Boss and Tameless Tiger doing burnouts right in front of me!
I think I remember Bill S in the mix somewhere with Red Alert too.......maybe a different year though. Wonderful memories for sure. We didn't realize at the time the significant automotive history we were witnessing.

Dykstra Motorsports
The Following User Says Thank You to RPOLS3 For This Useful Post:
dykstra (07-16-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPOLS3 View Post
I think I remember Bill S in the mix somewhere with Red Alert too.......maybe a different year though. Wonderful memories for sure. We didn't realize at the time the significant automotive history we were witnessing.
Correct!!
NCRS#66003

“Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don’t.”-Pete Seeger

Old 07-16-2021, 01:44 PM

2021 Custom Trail Boss 6.2 V8/10 Speed Auto.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GearheadSS For This Useful Post:
dustinm (07-16-2021), dykstra (07-16-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 02:27 PM

Thanked 3,755 Times in 1,592 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPOLS3 View Post
----That was a fun evening. Do you remember me taking Jack out on Dale's street and yanking the wheels? He does,,,LOL! Cops rolled by later, but just turned around and left. Pretty sure they were friends with Dale.....Bill S
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to olredalert For This Useful Post:
67since67 (07-16-2021), dustinm (07-16-2021), dykstra (07-16-2021), RPOLS3 (07-16-2021), SMS (07-16-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olredalert View Post
----That was a fun evening. Do you remember me taking Jack out on Dale's street and yanking the wheels? He does,,,LOL! Cops rolled by later, but just turned around and left. Pretty sure they were friends with Dale.....Bill S
I remember it like it was yesterday!!
NCRS#66003

The Following User Says Thank You to dykstra For This Useful Post:
RPOLS3 (07-16-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 03:27 PM

Thanked 3,931 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dykstra View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Story #3 (not quite a tow rig story, but related):

It was the last day of work before Christmas, in the late 1990's timeframe. I left work early to run up to the Case/IH dealer to get some parts for my Farmall. I was northbound on I-75, about to make the transition onto westbound I-69 (in Flint, Michigan) when this blue Chevy crew cab dually kind of eases past me on the right. I noticed it had Illinois plates, and I also noticed it said "Leased to Simpson Motorsports" on the side. That seemed kind of familiar, and as it went by I thought to myself "gee, the guy driving that looks like Arnie Beswick"...

Just about the time he gets straightened out in front of me, this huge tarp/blanket blows off the back of the truck (...scares the daylights outta' me!) and off into the median, revealing this HUGE pro mod type motor with tiger stripes on the valvecovers!

We both roll down the road a little ways when the pickup pulls off to the right, and I follow. The driver hops out of his truck and we meet there on the shoulder, I stick my hand out and say "You lost your tarp, Arnie".. He gets this look on his face, that he always gets when he sees me or my dad, like "...I know you from somewhere..". So we exchanged our usual introductions and then start deciding what to do about the tarp, which is far enough back down the roadway that we can't see it. I suggest that I am going to a tractor store, and he could follow me there and buy another, but he decides since the weather looks good he'll just make a run for it. We say our good bye's and off we go, each in our separate directions.

Well....after I bought my tractor parts I headed back home and....guess what...the tarp is still laying in the median. I stopped and grabbed it, threw it in the back of my truck. Then, when I went to Norwalk that next August, I brought it with me and gave it back to him. We had a good laugh about that, and I suppose if you asked him about it he would still remember...

For those who don't know, Arnie used to have a lot of work done at Diamond Collision, in Flint. He had retrieved the motor from the car to have it freshened up and left the car there for some additional work.

K
Quote:
Originally Posted by olredalert View Post
You guys have all the fun!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 67since67 For This Useful Post:
dustinm (07-16-2021), dykstra (07-16-2021)