Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 04-17-2014, 03:36 AM

Default Am I missing something?

I see this auction on eBay. #331178483254

I read the description and if I understand it correctly, it turns out to be "the original car is gone, the VIN and cowl tag removed and put on a another shell". Is this illegal? Here the ad.

"
1969 Camaro COPO ZL1

This Fathom Green ZL-1 Camaro was 1 of 50 Camaros ordered by the late Fred Gibb in November 1968. Due to the excessive cost of the ZL-1 option, this car was returned to Norwood, OH for redistribution by Joe Pike.

Alan Green Chevrolet, Seattle, WA to delivery of the Camaro in the latter part of 1969.

The first owner of this ZL-1 was Dick Tutino then service manager at Alan Green Chevrolet.

Dick mentioned that this ZL-1 ran in the NHRA Super Stock class, sponsored by Alan Green Chevrolet and Boeing Company. The ZL-1 ran a best quarter mile time of 11.08 @127 MPH.

In the late 1970's early 80's the car was mated with another 69 Camaro body.

In 2008 the car was treated to a full restoration and brought back to original Fathom Green exterior with black interior. It is truly in almost perfect condition!

This Fathom Green ZL-1 is 1 of 4 Green Automatics made. There were only 22 Automatic Transmission ZL-1’s made out of the 69 total production.

This 1969 Fathom Green ZL-1 COPO Camaro came from the factory equipped as follows:

VIN# 124379N609965

Originating Dealer: Fred Gibb Chevrolet

Order Number: 222032

Dealer Transfer: Allen Green Chevrolet Seattle, WA

Factory Options:

Ext Color: Fathom Green

Interior Color: Black Standard

Transmission: Turbo 400 Automatic

Wheels: 14 X 7 steel XT wheels

Tires: F70 X 14 Raised White Lettered Tires

This 1969 Camaro was a limited production vehicle, equipped from factory with COPO 9560, a special performance package including an aluminum ZL-1 427-430 HP engine, special ducted hood, transistorized ignition, dual exhaust system, increased cooling capacity, and special front and rear suspension. It was specifically designed for drag racing.

COPO #27 ZL1 was originally built and sent to Fred Gibb Chevrolet. It was then redistibuted through GM and sent to Allen Green Chevy in Seattle WA

Dick Tortino bought and tubbed the car and raced the car and then sold it. The new owner wanted it un tubbed and when he took it to the body shop the improperly cut out the rear sub frame floor. He sued the shop and won the suit.

With the car cut up, he went to a salvage yard bought another 69 shell and disposed the original shell including the Cowl Tag. He kept most all of the components of the car including interior, steering wheel body parts ect and the "original VIN TAG and title he then constructed the new 69 ZL1 and fixed the original VIN TAG to the new shell correctly.

He sold the original ZL1 engine and drivetrain and replaced it with small block and different drive train.

He then raced it until 1981 and sold it to a Chevy dealer in WA. The car was then sold as a drag car and the owner sold the original ZL1 VIN TAG and title to another gentleman that attached it to its current body and completed the car with period correct ZL1 components ie... engine trans rear end interior and exterior. He fully restored the car in it's original color Fathom Green with black interior as it is today.

It has the "Original Factory VIN TAG" from the #27 COPO ZL1 that was produced in 1969 for Fred Gibb Chevrolet and is titled that way.

98 Surburban
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 04-17-2014, 04:21 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,546 Times in 1,170 Posts
Default Re: Am I missing something?

Yes it is illegal.

Chuck is a stand up guy and has confessed (btw, 1. I am sure Chuck has tired of explaining this, and 2. I do not admit it, but I MAY have done dumber things than this).

https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbt...opics/306777/1
Old 04-17-2014, 05:06 AM

Well, at least he's forthright. That does count to me!
The car certainly looks like it was done correctly, but man, that's too much risk for me.
98 Surburban
Old 04-17-2014, 05:13 AM

Okay, I just read the link. NOW I know the car. I'm friends with Chuck and just connected the dots......

Chuck is a standup guy.
98 Surburban
Old 04-17-2014, 01:39 PM

Thanked 3,688 Times in 996 Posts

I'm impressed with Brighton attempting to sort out what they are selling and disclosing it.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:15 PM

Stand up guy or not I've see "you guys" slaughter rebodies on countless occasions. I'm sure you realize that a definite double standard exists on the forum.
1965 Pontiac Lemans
Old 04-18-2014, 02:23 AM

Depending on who the owner is, things are overlooked. There was a post a while back about a guy getting a photo from the original owner of his factory 427 Camaro. The picture clearly shows 350 emblems on the fender. All questions about it are ignored. No explanation.

Chevelle and Tri Five Parts

56 210
66 Chevelle
</span>
Old 04-18-2014, 07:50 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hep1966</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Depending on who the owner is, things are overlooked. There was a post a while back about a guy getting a photo from the original owner of his factory 427 Camaro. The picture clearly shows 350 emblems on the fender. All questions about it are ignored. No explanation. </div></div>

Happens all the time; common amongst the street racing crowd. Recently sold a 67 Fairlane that had 289 flags on the fenders. What was under the hood was almost double the displacement of a 289...
Old 04-18-2014, 11:41 AM

My understanding years ago that swapping bodies was not illegal as long as you disclose it. Additionally the Dynacorn bodies are considered and approved by GM as a restoration part. So here is some big fuel for a debate. Just remember there was a time when resources were not out there, so options were few. I hear it all the time when friends are restoring an older maintained car &quot;Why would someone do this to a car&quot; Just consider the options we had for restoration and that restoration and cars were fun and a hobby, not BIG BUSINESS as they are now. Dan
Old 04-18-2014, 01:01 PM

As long as everything is fully disclosed and someone is not trying to sell a car as something that it is not, all is good. If someone tries to sell a rebody as an all original sheet metal car with the bornwith drive train, the gloves come off.