Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 04-18-2014, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Am I missing something?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanCOPO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stand up guy or not I've see &quot;you guys&quot; slaughter rebodies on countless occasions. I'm sure you realize that a definite double standard exists on the forum. </div></div>

The reference was to the disclosure by the seller of the car, as to what they have found out about it.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:46 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hep1966</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Depending on who the owner is, things are overlooked. There was a post a while back about a guy getting a photo from the original owner of his factory 427 Camaro. The picture clearly shows 350 emblems on the fender. All questions about it are ignored. No explanation. </div></div>

Post the link to the car you are referencing. I can't tell you how many &quot;real&quot; &amp; &quot;Documented&quot; COPOs and Yenkos have been found dressed as Z28s and or small blocks.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:56 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

A recent example is reference the 4900 mile LS6 Chevelle recently discussed...obvious original LS6 car but vintage pics show 396 emblems...owner chose to do some creative advertising to drum-up racing business. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]
Old 04-18-2014, 02:02 PM

Thanked 2,378 Times in 752 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ds1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My understanding years ago that swapping bodies was not illegal as long as you disclose it. Additionally the Dynacorn bodies are considered and approved by GM as a restoration part. Dan </div></div>

As for the first sentence: Not to rehash, but you are quite incorrect from a criminal law standpoint.

As for the second sentence: just because GM declares it a replacement part, that doesn't over-rule 100 years of motor vehicle laws. Regardless of what side of the VIN swapping debate you are on, this is the problem with old laws not keeping up with the advance of technology. There needs to be an update of the federal and state laws concerning the issue of replacement bodies.

I'll use an example in the legal field: it is similar to the problem with the old wire tapping laws that were established in the 1920's that were still in effect in the 21st century.

Back in the old days, when the cops wanted to listen in on a land-line telephone conversation, they got their court order from a judge and then literally put a jumper wire (a tap) on a telephone line and listened.

With the advent of the mobile phones in the latter half of the 20th century, the same 1920's legal and technical requirements were still in effect. A bad guy could buy a dozen phones at Walmart and make a single call on each and throw it away. But the existing laws required the cops to follow the original land line method of obtaining a wiretap which took them weeks of paperwork for a phone that they knew was no longer being used. Only after the 9/11 attacks were the laws finally updated to take into account the advance of technology over the ensuing 80 years.

So, back to our previously scheduled program: until SEMA or some other powerful entity takes up the issue and gets a final answer from Congress, it is still illegal. And since the statute of limitations has long since passed on the original race car conversion, there isn't a liability issue there for the original act, but the car is still besmirched and could be subject to seizure by a DMV or law enforcement agency at any time. I wouldn't want to buy a car like that, that has the Sword of Damocles hanging over it.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:24 PM

https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbt...opics/499221/1

Chevelle and Tri Five Parts

56 210
66 Chevelle
</span>
Old 04-18-2014, 02:30 PM

Thanked 2,378 Times in 752 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Born30YrsLate</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A recent example is reference the 4900 mile LS6 Chevelle recently discussed...obvious original LS6 car but vintage pics show 396 emblems...owner chose to do some creative advertising to drum-up racing business. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] </div></div>

The original owner of my old 1970 hemi charger did the same thing. He could never get a race with the &quot;hemi&quot; emblems on the fenders so he popped them off soon after delivery and everyone thought is was just another 440 R/T.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Thanked 6,076 Times in 1,321 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hep1966</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Depending on who the owner is, things are overlooked. There was a post a while back about a guy getting a photo from the original owner of his factory 427 Camaro. The picture clearly shows 350 emblems on the fender. All questions about it are ignored. No explanation. </div></div>

The above is a silly statement. The car was never represented as a factory 427. Take a look at his for sale ad, and read and look at the documents.BTW I've never spoken to the owner of the car but what it was is clear as day and never misrepresented.

https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbt...opics/536149/1

Vintage Certification™ , Providing Recognition to Unrestored Muscle Cars. Website:
www.vintagecertification.com
Old 04-18-2014, 04:00 PM

... He clearly states that the 427 motor was installed later.... and he has the original 350 motor.

... Pretty clear to me .

[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]
Old 04-18-2014, 04:00 PM

I thought the dynacorn bodies had to be inspected to get a vin from the state??
Old 04-18-2014, 04:45 PM

Technically yes. Does anyone do it? No. It is essentially the same as a kit car that needs to be inspected by the state DMV.
11 cts-v black diamond edition wagon 556hp GONE
15 camaro Z/28 white AC brand new