Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 04-18-2014, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Am I missing something?

In the thread I linked to, questions were asked and unanswered.

The ad thread is clear.

Chevelle and Tri Five Parts

56 210
66 Chevelle
</span>
Old 04-18-2014, 06:54 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

hep1966, So sorry, and I did not mean to ignore your questions! I had moved on by then with the thread. Most people know Camaros never came with 427 emblems on them anyway, and no SS Camaro ever came with a 427. My signature at the time spelled out the car pretty well, and though I no longer own the car, it is a pretty well known car and had been featured in Hemmings Muscle Machines in 2011.
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire, Factory all Aluminum V8 Turbocharged and Methanol Injected TURBO ROCKET engine, 4 speed Hydramatic, 4 link rear suspension, 3.36 differential, California car, PS, PB, PW, AC, Jetfire 2 option package.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:54 PM

I knew I would strike a nerve with someone. Good editing of my post. Look at the next post backing what I had to point out. I have had several dealings with my great state of Pennsylvania, the anything for a buck state, over titles and what can and can not be done. They have told people if you change the engine in your car from the factory engine that the car should be turned in as reconstructed. I talked to the head of Glass over the tinted windows we bought for his 55 Chevy at Carlisle that is DOT stamped and was told we could not do it if the car did not come down the assembly line with it. I keep my state inspection license up to date and have different rules to follow than the police do. Recently we went through process of titling a T Bucket project and went through all the paper work and had it all go through with out a problem. Now the car is done it has to be inspected the way it is built. I am not here to get into one of this forums pissing contests, but each state law is different and there are ways people find to get around the law. Misrepresented and fake car owners should be dealt with accordingly. Big business, money and greed cast a dark shadow over the hobby I love so much.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:44 PM

Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,154 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hep1966</div><div class="ubbcode-body">https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbt...opics/499221/1 </div></div>

It is unfortunate that no one replied to your question in that thread. I don't remember seeing it. I assume that every one else felt like the car was fully explained in the for sale section. It was. It left the factory as a 350 SS car. The ZL-1 engine was installed later. There was never an attempt to pass the car off as anything it was not. Definitely not on par with the current discussion of taking a vin from a destroyed ZL-1 body and putting the vin plate on another body.

Apparently, you did not ever see the ad and therefore did not have a chance to connect the dots.

And I have to agree with Charlie about the attempt to disclose on the rebodied ZL-1. Most auction houses DON'T go out of their way to disclose. I was talking to Roy Sinor a few weeks ago about a well known faked car up for auction. Roy asked the auctioneer why he didn't disclose facts about an obviously faked car when he (the auctioneer) KNOWS the car to be a fake. The response:

&quot;Why would I shoot myself in the foot?&quot;
Old 04-18-2014, 11:01 PM

back to the original car that started this thread, I have to say, did anyone ever think how hard it would be to insure? If you bought it for say $400K, and insured it for that amount, and had a claim for total loss, they (the insurance company) would have you over a barrel. They could make the case it was a toxic vehicle, and pay you nothing is my guess.

I wonder what MK would say? I just don't think it can be insured with predictable total loss coverage. Big time buyer beware.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:06 AM

In my real estate world, we call it &quot;a cloud on the title&quot;. To quote njsteve, &quot;but the car is still besmirched and could be subject to seizure by a DMV or law enforcement agency at any time. I wouldn't want to buy a car like that, that has the Sword of Damocles hanging over it&quot;, I concur 100%.
98 Surburban
Old 04-19-2014, 03:56 AM

Thanked 2,378 Times in 752 Posts

Hey, any time I can use two SAT vocabulary words in one paragraph I am doing OK. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif[/img]
Old 04-19-2014, 07:00 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njsteve</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ds1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My understanding years ago that swapping bodies was not illegal as long as you disclose it. Additionally the Dynacorn bodies are considered and approved by GM as a restoration part. Dan </div></div>

As for the first sentence: Not to rehash, but you are quite incorrect from a criminal law standpoint.

As for the second sentence: just because GM declares it a replacement part, that doesn't over-rule 100 years of motor vehicle laws. Regardless of what side of the VIN swapping debate you are on, this is the problem with old laws not keeping up with the advance of technology. There needs to be an update of the federal and state laws concerning the issue of replacement bodies.

</div></div>

Agreed. Disclosure is a good thing, but swapping the VIN tags from one body to another like what apparently happened to the car in question is simply illegal.

What you can do in some states - if the VIN needs to be removed from a vehicle to repair it, you can do so, but you need to have someone from the state police there to watch, verify, and fill out some sort of paperwork. I believe this is how one could try to legally take a VIN from an existing vehicle and attach it to a Dynacorn body -- you would have to say that it's necessary as a repair (i.e., the completely rusted 69 T/A in the other thread). With the police there to verify and document, this might work. A cleaner way to do this would be to use the firewall from the original car and graft it into the new body, without removing the VIN.

Bottom line - you have to concern yourself with the federal law and state law. And state laws differ from state to state.

My $.02.

Scott
Old 04-21-2014, 03:01 AM

I've swapped VINs more than once with the DOT inspector watching. He had the rosette rivets locked up and issued them one at a time as he documented the process.
All were late 70's early 80's rusted pickups, 3 times if I remember correctly.
State code now says it is a felony and lists no provisions for an inspector to let you do it.
Just sayin it's not always illegal.