Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 03-06-2015, 12:23 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Aircraft pics

There doesn't appear to be any damage to the one propeller blade....I wonder if he had an engine failure?

I'm relieved to hear that other than a few cuts and scrapes he will be OK. Phil's comment regarding potential back injuries is more than likely accurate.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:25 PM

Yep -- he contacted ATC and indicated the engine quit -- result? ... earth sucks. Almost made it back to the runway ...
Old 03-06-2015, 12:27 PM

What's the old saying "there are old pilots and there are bold pilots -- but very few old bold pilots" or something like that.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:51 PM

Thanked 3,872 Times in 1,002 Posts

Extremely lucky there was no fire as this type of crash normally always ends with that as a result. Since he had to be removed from the plane that likely would have meant a fatality. Evidently he suffered engine trouble immediately after take off and was attempting to circle around and land. Private video shows his plane descending rapidly and under limited power. I witnessed a similar crash while at my daughters soccer game when a Cessna 172 lost power. It's glide slope was just a little better than a rock. Fortunately both father and daughter survived.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations
Old 03-06-2015, 01:13 PM

This is why I don't toy with Planes and Boats....I like to get out and walk when they quit running. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/scholar.gif[/img]

BIG
Old 03-06-2015, 04:09 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: earntaz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn -- no fire! Put her back together again and go back to boring holes in the sky ... </div></div>

No fire often means no fuel. I wonder if he forgot to check the fuel before departing. That's one of the top causes of &quot;engine stoppage&quot; (as it's referred to in the regulations) accidents such as this one.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:36 PM

I used to get a bi-weekly Aviation Safety magazine. Each issue had a short narrative regarding recent accidents and incidents. Ninety percent of the general aviation accidents occurred because of two reasons, one - running out of fuel, two - flying into weather conditions that the pilot was not prepared or trained to deal with.

I hope Mr. Ford is alright.

Phil Woj.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:41 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SS427</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Extremely lucky there was no fire as this type of crash normally always ends with that as a result. Since he had to be removed from the plane that likely would have meant a fatality. Evidently he suffered engine trouble immediately after take off and was attempting to circle around and land. Private video shows his plane descending rapidly and under limited power. I witnessed a similar crash while at my daughters soccer game <span style="font-weight: bold">when a Cessna 172 lost power. It's glide slope was just a little better than a rock.</span> Fortunately both father and daughter survived. </div></div>

Actually they glide pretty well. With no power and full flaps you can pull into a field at about 45mph. I know, I've done it.

Verne [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]
Old 03-06-2015, 04:53 PM

More info here: http://variety.com/2015/biz/news/har...sh-1201447290/

I think Bill makes a good point about no fire = no gas. Even the best pilots can forget something on the check list. Remember John Denver? He ran out of gas doing aerobatics, but unfortunately he was too high to glide, and he just augured in.

COPO 9561/9737 M40 X11D80
13.37 @ 105.50 on pump gas,drove it to NATL TRAILS and back [email protected] SCR22
Old 03-06-2015, 06:03 PM

Thanked 3,872 Times in 1,002 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Verne_Frantz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Actually they glide pretty well. With no power and full flaps you can pull into a field at about 45mph. I know, I've done it.

Verne [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] </div></div>

I was being sarcastic Vern.

If you want to talk glide slope or lack there of, have a fuel starvation issue due to a cut O-ring on the fuel filter of a Glassair III like we did. Even with partial power we were losing altitude at an alarming rate and with an 86 mph stall speed I was not having a good time!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations