Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Day 2 stuff-modified cars

Old 12-08-2011, 05:29 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: period correct tunnel rams

With that criteria, I would say the Offy TP Tunnel Ram is a perfect fit.

In the 1980's my uncle put a TR on a street rod with a similar set-up. It has been the most street friendly dual quad car in the club and is still running strong to this day. You could dive it in traffic tomorrow, then blast off to Columbus without a hitch. Vac advance distributor with a special tune. The street rod is a 42 Ford pickup. It's not a race car, but has turned 14's at the drags.

My personal hang-up is having a TR equipped car only running 14's.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:31 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pxtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
As far as a carb choice, I like vacuum secondaries. I would start out with a Holley List 1850 which is a 600 cfm carb and very plentiful. I've never been able to tune a par of 390's or 450's to run nearly as good as those 600's after being modified. Heck you might even be able to run a pair of 750's.

</div></div>

My 390's have the vacuum secondaries and I bought the Holley vacuum balance tube kit that ties both carbs in together so they open both at the same time.My car had 600 on it when I got it and they were just too plain big for a little 289.

I'm more show than go and just want something that runs decent and is not stumbling on the street and is not backfiring and embarrasing me at a cruise..

I followed my build from a indepth Car Craft article back in the late 70's that showed how to build a TR for the street-and that is what they recommended- a r/v/performnace style cam. One of the best articles ever.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:39 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pxtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That looks like the Weiand TR as seen in Two Lane Blacktop. Probably the epitome of Tunnel Ram and what it means to me. Pair of 660's on it with a secondary metering block kit. Very Nice! </div></div>

Good eye Paul and yes they are 660 with a secondary metering block. I also have a set of 4223-S 850's if the 1320 cfm isn't enough for the future engine.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:44 AM

Something I'm wondering about on this TR always being called the offical Two Lane Blacktop TR....
If you look at the picture of the one from the movie, it appears to have a plate and looks like it's a three piece TR? Looks a little different from the one posted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 396L35</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is mine for my car.

</div></div>
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2011, 05:58 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chandler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Something I'm wondering about on this TR always being called the offical Two Lane Blacktop TR....
If you look at the picture of the one from the movie, it appears to have a plate and looks like it's a three piece TR? Looks a little different from the one posted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 396L35</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is mine for my car.

</div></div> </div></div>

Chandler you are correct and I have the other three piece top that you are referring too but I haven't had time to switch them out yet.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:24 AM

</div></div>

Um, I want a Big Block engine sitting inside my house as decoration too [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Tommy [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/[/img]
Old 12-08-2011, 01:11 PM

Thanks for the info Mark.
I didn't know there was a different 4150 top for that intake. I imagine the more common top, like you have pictured would be more suited for the street, given the smaller plenum volume.
I've got one of those older TR's that has the &quot;say why-and&quot; cast into it. Now I'll be looking for one of those tops. Probably should look for a needle in a hay stack first.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:16 PM

Here's one I picked up a few years ago. Prices got cheap the last day of the swap meet and I got this for 75.00, complete with linkage.
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2011, 01:17 PM

How about for a sbc same deal?
Old 12-08-2011, 01:21 PM

Same deal for what?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brent396</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about for a sbc same deal? </div></div>