Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Sponsors > Camaro Nationals- Morgantown, PA

Old 11-12-2016, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Paul Newman ZL1

Yeah, its really not that good of a find since its not dated for a assembly line camaro , and has less damage than any other block ive seen.

No Fisher priced toys here
Old 11-12-2016, 02:22 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,118 Times in 329 Posts

I was interested in the block until I got the machinists report - major damage - broken rods gouged cylinders and liners are cracking the aluminum sidewalls. Just keeping it real.
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2016, 02:39 PM

Damaged block may have a Yenko origin..the liners used in the first few Yenko ZL1 were the wrong size and cracked the blocks when run. Reference my book "The Yenko Era.....continued "
Old 11-12-2016, 03:03 PM

You passed on a Paul Newman owned ZL1 block[or any ZL1 69 dated block] because of that pic ? You certainly dont know much about ZL1 blocks It took 2 days, 2 sleeves and 1 hr welding,looks like its as new now cosmetically and it only needed to go .010 out on bore . $980.00 bill But less get past the BS, that wasnt the intent of you injecting yourself into this thread.

Old 11-12-2016, 04:23 PM

Thanked 1,118 Times in 329 Posts

Threads are all open to the public - so in that respect, everyone "injects themselves". I just commented on a block that I knew something about - that I felt was being portrayed as something that it wasn't. Machinists report goes on to say that it had major damage and not worth fixing. Aluminum blocks are easy to fix cosmetically. Future integrity of a running motor is a different thing entirely. This community looks out for each other. I have no other motive - wouldn't know you if I saw you - don't think that I ever bought anything from you - don't have friends that have had a bad experience with you - etc.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:35 PM

"that I felt was being portrayed as something that it wasn't."........

Well it is certainly Paul Newmans block, it is a Zl1, and it is the best used Zl1 block Ive seen. The seller probably called me because he was probably sick of dealing with guys that didnt have a clue or the guts to buy it . So what exactly written above is being "portrayed as something it wasnt"?????????????? I get it by now, if this was someone else that found it the beer chugs would cover 20 pages. Its OK, Im absolutely thrilled to have this piece of Paul Newman Can Am history,so thank you for not knowing what you were looking at .

Old 11-12-2016, 05:54 PM

Thanked 4,509 Times in 2,142 Posts
Default Paul Newman ZL1

'
Back at the ranch, a good block is worth more but any ZL1 block regardless of condition or known history is a truly magical thing, even if only a glass coffee table base...which damage somehow then enhances value w/ motörhead coolness also questions of if/how it could be repaired etc?
Authentic history, whether a known race engine w/ status or celebrity ownership etc would certainly increase value and sky the limit w/ that stuff!
You two are both great guys and members so let's all try to keep it fun around here.
[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
~ Pete

Old 12-23-2016, 11:14 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the427king</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, its really not that good of a find since ...., (it) has less damage than any other block ive seen. </div></div>

really?? I've owned 5-6 zl-1 blocks including the original from my ZL-1 #34 that was gear-drive, dry sump and in a roundy round car for years..(let's say it was wupped on for years). The photos of the damage on this block is considerably more extensive than any of the blocks I ever owned...
I suspect you have owned more ZL-1 blocks than me..you must have gotten some pretty hurt pieces over the years..

On the bright side, aluminum can be repaired cosmetically and structurally. Still a nice piece with history !