Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 03-01-2024, 02:19 PM
SCR Sponsor

Thanked 3,151 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedder View Post
Of course, Tim! I had an mechanic inspect the car at my expense, spent at least 1.5 hours on the phone with the seller, looked at 20 plus pics in detail. Googled him to the extent that I and pretty much know what he had for breakfast last Thursday LOL! And I only do wire transfers now.

The real issue is that the shipping company will not pick the car up without a scanned unaltered copy of the front and back of the title. Their broker needs this to start the paperwork for clearing customs. So, that alone is a deal breaker for a US-Canada sale. He would not provide this - that is just fishy.

However, what was more upsetting was the fact that his reluctance to share his address (which I already knew and confirmed by a pic that he sent of this house and Google maps) sent a message to me that all of our "friendly" dealings were BS. Also, he never once mentioned that he had any sort of reluctance in the deal. If he would have done that, I might not have wasted $350 and a bunch of my time.
Sorry to hear that Mark. I neglected to remember that part about crossing the border and the information that is necessary. My apologies for casting any doubt. Certainly, buying a car can be trying at times.

There is another site member that went through a similar (albeit different) scenario. I referred the site member to a nice original 73 Corvette. He spoke with the owner and was comfortable with moving to the next step.. Spent the money to have it inspected, to only have the seller piss backwards on the deal. Ironically, the seller just posted the car for sale again.
Old 03-01-2024, 02:27 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

No worries Tim...I know you were trying to be helpful.

I've been buying cars from the US since 1996 and it just seems to be getting harder to do lately. Certainly a big part is that everyone is scared of being scammed and I get that. But I really try hard to make sure that both sides are comfortable before committing to a car. This one really came out of left field!

1996 Carrera & 1993 Fat Boy