Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 06-04-2019, 05:51 PM

Default Just a typo on the TrimTag, or not ?

Hi !
While looking for an A-body frame for another car, I found a 1970 Stage 1 coupe on Craigslist "auto parts". It was sold as a frame as so much of the hard to find parts had been removed from it.

I have sent for, and received, the GS Historic Society documentation for this car. The documentation states colors Z for body and 8 for vinyl top, which on the TT would be 58 (Harvest Gold) and F (Dark Brown Roof).
The problem is that it does not have a F on the TT but an E, which would be Parchment. But Parchment was not available as an ordinary option in 1970. Still, it has a Parchment vinyl top on it.
This car has never been restored or even repainted, so it has original paint all over except for the back part of the right rear fender which has bondo and a layer of paint over it.

Now I´m thinking this is what could have happened: an order for this car was sent from the dealer to Buick. Buick checked if everything was ok and sent the order to the only plant that built Stage 1 cars in 1970, that is Flint. That order would be identical to the documentation from GS Historic Society. When the order came to Flint someone by mistake changed the vinyl top color to E and they built the car with a Parchment top and an E on the TT. Now to my question: is this even possible ? I´m asking because I do not think the top has ever been changed.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 06-05-2019, 02:15 AM

http://v8buick.com/index.php?threads...ystery.346699/
Old 06-05-2019, 03:52 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

A COPO Buick of sorts?

This isn't rocket surgery.....
Old 06-05-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442w30 View Post
442w30, I already have a thread on v8buick.com called the "The Hartford-frame", http://v8buick.com/index.php?threads...-frame.346437/ I can´t uppload any pics here but could on v8buick.com, so take a look there. My reason for taking the TrimTag-question to Yenko.net is that I do not get any comments on how the system worked when it comes to how orders where taken care of by the plant that was going to build the car. The way I see it the E on the TT could have been a single mistake by the man who made the TT. But it could also have been a mistake by the first person at the plant who took care of the order. In the second case the parchment vinyl top E would not only be found on the TT but on buildsheets as well. Unfortunately I have not found any buildsheets so far. But I have one more place to look at, on top of the tank.
The Following User Says Thank You to COPO_Anders For This Useful Post:
442w30 (06-05-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brown View Post
A COPO Buick of sorts?
No John, just the baddest factorybuilt Buick in 1970. A cousin to the SS 454 Chevelle LS6.

The Sloan Museum has docs for the first half of 1970, and also for 1972. The GS Historic Society has the docs for the second half of 1970. The docs for 1971 are lost.