Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 10-17-2023, 11:48 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,767 Times in 747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67since67 View Post
In the Corvette world Bloomington at the fairgrounds used to be epic, but is a mere shadow of that now.
My brother and I grew up at the show when it was at the Bloomington Fairgrounds back in the day. Great memories.

Dykstra Motorsports
The Following User Says Thank You to RPOLS3 For This Useful Post:
napa68 (10-17-2023)
Old 10-17-2023, 02:46 PM

Thanked 2,963 Times in 1,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk View Post
I was at the Monticello IA swap meet yesterday from southern MN. My son and my dad were with and we all bought stuff. It's a decent swap meet that isn't overrun with the flea market junk that clutters up so many swap meets.
Chad
I didn't hear about Derek hauling his "collection" down there. He must have been busy with Cale's new car.
1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
chadk (10-18-2023)
Old 10-17-2023, 03:28 PM

Is Iola worth going to? Went for a few years in the early 2k.

Then CL exploded and I was finding everything I needed there but that and FB have about played out for me with all the scammers.

I will likely haul a load down next spring to the Lincoln 1 day swapmeet. On good weather years it has more car parts per stall than any other meet Ive been to
Old 10-17-2023, 03:51 PM

Thanked 2,132 Times in 667 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brown View Post
I used to go to all of Gary Esse's swap meets as a buyer. Jefferson, Elkhorn, and I recall he even had one or two at Janesville. I still have friends from South Bend that make the trip several times a year to both Jefferson and Elkhorn. We would always buy spaces just to keep from having to carry everything we bought out the gate.
Saw Gary at a local show a few weeks ago, handing out flyers for his 2024 schedule. He has added a show/swap Saturday June 15 at the Racine WI County fairgrounds.

www.madisonclassics.com

Last edited by William; 10-17-2023 at 03:55 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to William For This Useful Post:
69M22Z (10-17-2023), John Brown (10-17-2023), RPOLS3 (10-17-2023)
Old 10-17-2023, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,075 Times in 356 Posts

I bet some of you guys have spotted and bought some great (rare) parts over the years.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pro Stock John For This Useful Post:
John Brown (10-17-2023)
Old 10-17-2023, 04:12 PM

Thanked 4,020 Times in 972 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinm View Post
Is Iola worth going to? Went for a few years in the early 2k.
I spent a weekend at Iola about 20 years ago. Didn't sell enough to pay for the fuel and almost nothing for '67 Chevelle parts, no NOS. I did score a nice Chevy dealership clock to justify the trip. No reason to go back...
The Following User Says Thank You to 67since67 For This Useful Post:
dustinm (10-18-2023)
Old 10-17-2023, 04:13 PM

Used to be a really good Swap for years down in Mass at the Great Woods Center.
After the Wu-flu hit, they never had another- the group that organized it went completely off the radar.

I still miss the old Amherst, NH swap.
The New England Dragway Swap took off as the new default when the owner of Amherst sold the property.
Old 10-17-2023, 05:28 PM

Thanked 2,132 Times in 667 Posts

For you So. Cal guys:

What is Pomona like these days?

We would arrive in CA Thursday, shop the Pick-A-Parts. Rarely any 1st Gen Camaros to pick, but plenty of '60s Chevelle, Nova, full-size. Arrive at the swap Sunday by 0500a, walk around with a flashlight. Bought armloads of stuff; 66-67 Chevelle 4-speed consoles, 67-69 Camaro doors, trim, air cleaners, you name it. Recall buying a '69 Camaro BB 4-speed shifter with rods and mount for $40.

We had a colleague there that would ship it all to WI for us.

Pics from the early '80s.
Attached Images

69M22Z (10-17-2023), AnthonyS (10-17-2023), L78_Nova (10-17-2023), RPOLS3 (10-17-2023), YenkoYS-199Stinger (10-27-2023)
Old 10-17-2023, 06:13 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Well, I saw this thread start on Sunday after I returned from Pomona... was going to eventually chime in, but I may as well now since the question has been asked directly...

I've been going to Pomona for nearly twenty years now and I too, initially bought a space so I wouldn't have to haul any finds out to the parking lot and so I could lay out enough stuff to recoup the cost of admission.

It's never been "amazing" IMHO, and I often lament that I missed the heydays but I have at least, on every trip, found something that has made it worthwhile in terms of a rare, valuable, or needed part...

It is big, but really, only about 15% of any of the sellers, their spaces, or their stuff would interest us... there's lots of toys and hotwheels, and I don't mean redlines or collectable stuff, I mean the new stuff that you can get at target straight out of those cardboard boxes with the purple stripe that likely fell of a truck on their way into the target back off loading room... There's tons of kitsch too, not cool old stuff but dolls and man cave signs and that kind of stuff. There's lots of yardsale stuff and tools, oh my gosh... every fellow who buys a storage unit of tools brings them out here. And lawn equipment... never mind the little red wagons that are ubiquitous. But to be fair, I've sold some wagons there too; people will buy any wagon to help get that third member out of the lot...

Everyone once in a while there's the family or kids of someone who's left this world and left their collection to be spread to the wind; sometime those spots are good, sometimes not, but always interesting. That's happening more and more now, sadly.

This past weekend, there was a guy who had, junk was the only way to describe it, in his truck and he didn't seem to value it too much as he lowered his tailgate and reversed into his spot then with a sudden brake let everything slide out. I was impressed that he kept it all in his spot actually and went over to investigate when I heard the crash... I wondered if he ever cleaned it up when I left on Sunday.

The kids came with me this weekend and they often have fun, but with full sun and the heat it can get tiresome for them, who knows what adventures of Boss Baby they're missing on that dang tv...

Then there's the guys that are just there to cook and hang out, nothing wrong with that but those spaces don't have any interest to me but then again, every once in a while, the aromas coming off their BBQ's make me pause, some could certainly be paid chefs.

And the place is full of people that quote what the last thing that sort of looks like what you're asking about sold on eBay for last year. The prices that most people are asking for are crazy too... everyone quotes the internets for what their part is worth, and it gets quite tiresome if not annoying... This reminds me of an episode of Pickers from maybe a decade ago when the guys found and old blue kiddie stroller with beads on the front, you remember, anyway, they "valued" it at something crazy and wouldn't you believe it, for the last ten years you can find that same stroller at Pomona for the same $200 at any number of sellers' spaces?!

Finally, the tough guys walking three abreast down the isles just looking for you to look at them sideways is quite off putting, especially at a family event.

But the anticipation of the weeks leading up to each meet is what keeps me going; I'm so excited the week before, thinking this will be the one! It's like holding that PowerBall ticket two days before the draw!

Cheers Friends!
Anthony
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AnthonyS For This Useful Post:
69M22Z (10-17-2023), dustinm (10-18-2023), FTC (10-20-2023), jer (10-18-2023), mssl72 (10-17-2023), Pro Stock John (10-17-2023), X66 714 (10-17-2023), YenkoYS-199Stinger (10-27-2023)
Old 10-17-2023, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67since67 View Post
I spent a weekend at Iola about 20 years ago. Didn't sell enough to pay for the fuel and almost nothing for '67 Chevelle parts, no NOS. I did score a nice Chevy dealership clock to justify the trip. No reason to go back...
Pulling a wagon up and down those hills was no thrill either. Once was enough.

This isn't rocket surgery.....