Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Pit Area - Racing

Old 11-22-2009, 07:06 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Grumpy's Toy Camaro's

the '68 car was an original yellow car when he bought it, repainted white before raced.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:03 PM

The 70 camaro Toy #8 was found as a tube chassis race car with some of it's original body shell remaining,and was restored and featured in a magazine.It had been discussed extensivly around here.

The 68 Camaro was sold to Brooklyn heavy back in 1971,the feds came to confiscate all of heavy's stuff back in the early 70's for some legal problems that he had.Witnesses to the raid said that the Camaro was not at the shop during the raid,and Heavy claimed it was at his "down south" house and was taken from there by the cops.A driver for Heavy at the time by the name of Carmen Rotunda,a speed shop owner form New Jersey,was said to have had that car the entire time and raced it in Modified Production back in the 70's after Heavy was arrested.There was some confusion since Heavy owned another 68 Camaro That he owned since before he bought the Jenkins car and it was believed that the car that Rotunda had was the other car not the Jenkins car.

I never followed the history of the 69 other then to say that I have heard that it was originally a non RS L78 car.This was stated by a few people to clear the air about the specualtion that the car was really a ZL1 because it was raced with an aluminum block in Stock classes.

A car being backhalfed wouldnt be reason to chalk it up to history,today they restore cars based off finding the original roof,quarters and doorjambs,and they replace everything else.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:01 AM

Mr. Jenkins had worked in conjunction with the SRD chassis shop and developed an unusual 3-link rear suspension that was similar to a 4-link, but it only used one upper suspension arm on the right side only. My '70 Camaro that's beem discussed on this site before had this particular bracket in place. It had the Ramchargers' Magnesium Dana 60 with a conventional 4-Link currently, but you could see the unused upper three link mount still in the chassis. I don't know of any other '70's Pro cars using that 3-link rear suspension besides Grumpy's Camaros and Vegas.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:02 AM

There must have been a few 3 link cars built.A while back when Jenkins' 70 was first found I threw a hissy fit because I know of a 2nd gen camaro that is absolutly Richie Zul's old car and I know right where it it right now.The car was a 70 Camaro converted to a 74 then a 79,and had a 3 link rear suspention.After a lot of leg work some calls to Richie Zul himself and more confusion iit was discovered that Zul owned 2 2nd gen camaros,one which he bought from Jenkins and one that was bought from Joe Satmary.As it turns out the car I know of was the car he bought from Satmary.That car like the Jenkins car had a 3 link rear suspention installed very early on just like the Jenkins 70 and the Vega.Most racers didnt like the 3 link and swapped to ladder bars early on.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:30 AM

The '68 Camaro was a real L89 car too. Saw it when it was brand new. Jenkins will confirm this too. Sold to Carmen Rotunda when he was done with it.

Bob
Old 11-23-2009, 10:35 AM

3-link rear suspension was the hot thing in the seventies for Pro Stockers, when properly dialed in it was superior to other setups. But the problem was just to tune the upper third rod. It needed sideway adjustments to make the car hookup straight and in level. If the rod was off just a fraction the car launched with a twist and put more load on one of the rear tires.

I saw cars were they had three or four inches of sideway adjustments to play with.

All theses adjustments possibilities made it difficult and they soon went to fourlink systems instead that when dialed in did just needed some adjustments in the shocks.

You can see on pictures of that time if a car has threelink, the way they launch is the telltale.

Jan
My Car My Book My Photos
Old 11-23-2009, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A car being backhalfed wouldnt be reason to chalk it up to history,today they restore cars based off finding the original roof,quarters and doorjambs,and they replace everything else.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, It is not really that hard to replace the floor, frame rails and trunk.

The end result is my signature***

72 SS 350 4spd Camaro
74 Z28 Automatic
80 Z28 4spd
94 Z28 Automatic
Old 11-24-2009, 02:07 AM

Hey Barnfind.Is that car with the floor cut out your 72?I will be doing the same thing to my 73.The car was tubbed.I will be using the new premade main floor with braces,the premade rear floor with framerails and braces,then I will use the package tray and inner 1/4 structure from my 74 Camaro,adding new 1/4's,outer houses and tailpanel.It is my high school car so I want to make it perfect,the main floor are patched and look good,but I think that with over 2 grand in new metal going on already why not make it perfect.Let me know how it all goes together.It looks like you dont have much of a jig under that car.Kinda scary.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The '68 Camaro was a real L89 car too. Saw it when it was brand new. Jenkins will confirm this too. Sold to Carmen Rotunda when he was done with it.

Bob

[/ QUOTE ]I believe the 68 car was sold to Brooklyn Heavy. I think Carmen had his own 68 car unless Heavy gave him Jenkins car to race after he was done. Somehow I think that both those cars were in action around the same time, Carmens 68 and Heavys 68. But a long time ago.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:11 AM

You mean the green car right?There was a vinyl top car that Heavy had that I beleive wasnt the Jenkins car.There is also a magazine article from back in the early 70's speaking of Heavy's 68 Camaro M/P car and also mentioning his newly aquired "secret" camaro meaning the Jenkins car.Many people have suggested that they were the same car,and some have even stated that the Jenkins car was delibratly repainted and fitted with a standard nose to disguise it's appearance as to not intimidate potential competitors on the money racing scene,or that the car's appearance was changed to keeep the feds from finding it.Lots of stories,but no real answers so far.