Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Member's Rides

Old 06-02-2008, 03:05 AM

Thanked 5,349 Times in 1,876 Posts
Default Grady Burch's (1969grb) Awesome L78 Nova!!

Bruce

Here is the story of Grady Burch's "1969GRB" awesome 8400 mile Burgundy 69 Nova SS , L78.

I have done a few back yard restorations over the past 10 years or so, and the joy I get out of it may have contributed to my retiring early as an aircraft mechanic a few years ago at age 59 in Aug 2006.

So far I have been blessed with some really nice local cars to work on, and so far it has been way more fun than working on Goodyear's Corporate Fleet. But I do miss my old salary ! A few winters ago I got a call from one of the local Cleveland area car collector/dealer's that I have known for some time. George new my work and my own cars that I had done. He said he had a friend with a nice 8400 mile 69 Nova that and was thinking of restoring it and asked if I might be interested in the project. So I said sure, have him call me. I figured no harm in at looking at it. It was the 8400 mile part that got me interested !

A few day's later I got the call from Grady, we talked about the car and Grady told me all of what he knew of it's history. Later that week I met Grady at his storage facility and spent some time looking at the car.
I do not remember telling Grady this right away, but I was thinking to myself, self, you have to restore this car ! It was incredible to see a 38 year old Nova that was in such original condition and generally not messed with.

Later that same day that I looked at the Nova, Grady came over to look at a Camaro I was finishing up on. It was still on the rotisserie and all the painting and overspray detail had been done. So at this point Grady liked what he saw and I liked the idea of doing the Nova.

I started on it in Feb 2007 and finished up last week.

At this point you might ask why restore a car like this with such low mileage ? And the reason is the car probably had not been stored well over the years. The paint was maybe 80% original with some touch up. I do remember the hood had been repainted. The car had a few choice door dings along the quarter panels and even a couple on the roof in line with the drivers head. Probably all rash from being crammed in a overcrowded garage ?

We also think she had been exposed to some very high heat at some point. Evidenced by some cracked vinyl on the lower front seat valance, and a headliner that was tighter than a snare drum. It was later replaced. All the rest of the interior is original. The original rubber mats are AWESOME !

I was later lucky to hook up with a local interior guy in Dover, Ohio that did a wonderful job restoring the front seat, while saving the original dielectric pressed seat panels. I do not think anyone reproduces this bottom line taxi cab interior for these cars.

The car has it's Protect O Plate that shows it was sold at Lyle Chevrolet in Cuyahoga Falls Ohio. If that dealer rings a bell, that is the selling dealer for the White 69 Camaro ZL1 #53.

Car has it's born with motor, a CT replacement M22 that we installed at restoration, more on the tranny later. The smog system and exhaust manifolds are the originals. They must have been taken off on day one, the stuff was perfect ! The exhaust manifolds had zero pitting. Car has all five of it's born with XT wheels, all dated the same day. All the other accessories are either original to the car and or correct pn#'s and date codes.

A lot of these old street racers and muscle cars have one or more BS stories to go with them. So here is one on this car.

Shortly after starting work on the Nova I was talking with another car guy buddy of mine, Gregg. Gregg never had to serve during the Nam and was always in the thick of things with all the street racers around Akron, Tallmadge and the Falls. Gregg even had a 69 L78 Nova he raced. On and off the street.

I have known Gregg 20 plus years, we think allot alike, have judged car shows together. He is a real detail freak and does not BS to show off. One thing about him he has a memory like an elephant. I do not think he ever missed not knowing every muscle car sold in this area back in the day.

As soon as I started telling Gregg of my latest project, a 69 Nova SS, he interrupted and asked what color it was ? I said Burgundy, why ? He says, Oh I know that car, it came from Lyle. I said how would you know that ? Answered... Cause it was the only Burgundy Nova ever I ever saw around here.
Then he proceeds to tell me he remembers the car sitting on the Lyle's showroom floor with headers, slapper bars and dealer installed 4.88's.

Later that day I jacked up the back axle and did a quick check of the gears by counting drive shaft revs while turning the rear wheel. I came up with 3.55. Made sense, the car has a BT code 12 bolt.

Fast forward to the 12 bolt disassembly, when I popped off the cover I fully expected to see a GM ring and pinion on such a low mileage car, I had already determined that the ratio 3.55 matched the BT code. What I found was a set of Richmond gears ! So maybe Gregg did know something about he car after all.

Another story that was passed on to Grady from the previous owner was that the car was bought to be raced. See the two time slips from Dragway 42 in the photos. The first owners kid got in the usual amount of trouble with the car, tickets etc. So the Dad yanked the motor and trans out to keep the kid from driving. Some how during this phase of the car's history the original tranny got separated from the car, probably a M21 ?, but we will never no for sure.
When it came time to locate a tranny for the car, Grady found a guy that would sell us a stamped one, or he said I have a M22 CT stamped one.

Neither of use liked the idea of the restamp stuff, but the CT warranty trans seemed more logical as our replacement. And Grady wanted a M22. And since the original 3.55's were history, we went with the more fun 4.10's.

During the course of the restoration Grady and me talked most every day about the car as work progressed. It was great working on this project with him because he was truly interested in being involved. Not so much hands on stuff but he was largely responsible for locating all of the nice NOS trim parts for the car.
About the only reproduction trim piece that we used was the front fender marker bezels. And they were Trim Parts items and look like jewelry compared to NOS. Anyway you have to know Grady, they will not be on there long !

All of the original suspension parts are still with the Nova with the exception of the two lower ball joints, even the springs are the originals. And it still sits very nice.
Some of the NOS stuff includes front and rear bumper, tail light assemblies, hood louvers, hood trim and Chevy bowtie, fender headlight trim, fender louvers ( Not fun to mask and paint ! ) and script, trunk script, wiper washer pump, Grill and SS badge and the side mirror.
And a Gardner exhaust system.

I hope everyone enjoys the photos of the restoration and the finished product. I am sure Grady will have some further comments after Bruce posts all this in Members Rides.

The photos I sent to Bruce pretty much tell the story on this build from the day we started last Febuary. Reference the first couple shots of the Nova, that's snow guys ! To the final shots of just a few weeks ago.

Grady and myself are planning on bringing the Nova to the Nova Nats and the fall VF. We are both looking forward to seeing some of you sYc car guys.

Mike Angelo "m22mike", for Grady Burch "1969grb"

P.S. I miss not seeing her up in my garage everyday.

Pre-Restoration:

Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...

Default Re: Grady Burch's (1969grb) Awesome L78 Nova!!

During restoration

More during restoration

The Following User Says Thank You to Xplantdad For This Useful Post:
big gear head (03-15-2024)
Old 06-02-2008, 03:06 AM

Yet more

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xplantdad For This Useful Post:
big gear head (03-15-2024), dykstra (03-15-2024)
Old 06-02-2008, 03:06 AM

More

big gear head (03-15-2024), olredalert (03-16-2024)
Old 06-02-2008, 03:17 AM

All done!

big gear head (03-15-2024), olredalert (03-16-2024)
Old 06-02-2008, 03:21 AM

That is one incredible Nova! Those pictures are absolutely perfect!! thanks for posting all the detail!!

Old 06-02-2008, 03:24 AM

That is a very nice nova.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:02 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Wow - nice job! Car and pictures perfect
Old 06-02-2008, 04:08 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Grady and Mike,

Great job on the car. I was fortunate to see it before the restoration and the end result is nothing short of spectacular.

Thanks for sharing a great car and story.

Phil Woj.