Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Mopar

Old 01-27-2014, 11:49 AM

Default '70 Hemicuda?

Not sure if this has been posted before but any thoughts? CL Hemicuda
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 01-27-2014, 12:32 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: '70 Hemicuda?

The car has no fender tag either. So no tag and no sheet is a double strike in mopar land. Fun one to do for yourself or get running as is, but as far as re-sale you are upside down before you start. He's asking twice what it's worth. Cool car though.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:43 PM

Atleast its a cool color and its a 4spd!
He should have it registered and maybe he will get a decent offer.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:43 AM

VIN will confirm if it is a real Hemi VIN. Then body stampings will confirm if the VIN belongs to the body.
You would need a fender tag or sheet to verify color and transmission.
This car will never be a big dollar. However if the car is a real Hemi car the price may seem reasonabl a few years down the road.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:45 AM

Thanked 1,118 Times in 329 Posts

You have to be careful when the only "hemi" documentation is the letter in the VIN. Most states will change one digit in the VIN on the title if the owner simply applies for a "typo" correction. Of course, this is highly illegal - jail time illegal. A VIN tracing is required, but crooks figure out how to doctor that up. I tracked the ownership history of an "R" code Ford that a friend bought and discovered the "typo" change (from a "Q&quot in its history. The purp paid for all of my buddies expenses and took the car back. I'm certainly not indicating that the car in question has been tampered with - just illustrating the importance of multiple pieces of documentation (ownership history, factory/dealer documents, and expert certifications). We just had an example of the one digit VIN change with the ZL1 up in Canada - legitimate or not, it happens.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:41 PM

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts

Also keep in mind with E-Bodies (Cudas and Challengers) the VIN is only attached to the dash pad and not the metal portion of the car like on a normal vehicle. If the dash is replaced, the VIN tag comes with it...and can be moved to another vehicle way too easily.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:29 PM

If it does not sell, there is obviously something wrong with it. On a positive note, this car is good for me as a reference as I know of a guy that has an old 70 hemi cuda drag car, and this ebay car atleast could get me to have a conversation with him about buying it (i.e. start around 85K like this car). Original engine long gone on the one I know of (I think), but its the original owner. Seats to it still in his garage rafters after 5-10 mile drive home from dealer.

I never had a good starting point to discuss price on his car, and didnt want to insult him. This ebay car helps (and should help all of us hunting and negotiating).

Old 02-08-2014, 12:14 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it does not sell, there is obviously something wrong with it.

</div></div>

this car has been for sale for years, the asking price with a lack of fender tags and paper documentation are what's &quot;wrong with it&quot;.

If your friends' car has fender tags and those original seats still hold the broadcast sheet then its a case of chalk and cheese when comparing it to this car. But no old hemi cuda race car is worth 85K unless it was an original Super Stocker driven by S&amp;M, McCandless, Dick Landy etc. The cost of returning the car to original combined with the purchase price puts you upside down in a hurry when real nice '70 hemicudas can be bought for 140-150K these days.