Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 08-04-2020, 02:34 PM

I have the Reynolds Aluminum Block that came from Grumpy's Toy IV that won the 1970 Winternationals and documentation/pictures from the Peterson Archive with this exact engine in the car. It is a 0-326711 block and what Bill was running at the time. I heard Bill didn't like the ZL-1 block and had something to do with heat transfer causing them to lose power as the day went on. I have been in contact with the current owners of Grumpy's Toy IV to see if they are interested in it before I put in my car. I would post some pictures, just not sure how to add them.

Last edited by rcalzaretta62; 08-04-2020 at 02:41 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rcalzaretta62 For This Useful Post:
big gear head (08-04-2020)
Old 08-04-2020, 07:39 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalzaretta62 View Post
I have the Reynolds Aluminum Block that came from Grumpy's Toy IV that won the 1970 Winternationals and documentation/pictures from the Peterson Archive with this exact engine in the car. It is a 0-326711 block and what Bill was running at the time. I heard Bill didn't like the ZL-1 block and had something to do with heat transfer causing them to lose power as the day went on. I have been in contact with the current owners of Grumpy's Toy IV to see if they are interested in it before I put in my car. I would post some pictures, just not sure how to add them.
That is awesome you have that Reynolds Aluminum block. Agree Bill Jenkins has said he didnt like those ZL-1 Blocks because of bad core shift and the cylinder seal had bad blow by causing bad ring seal resulting in power loss. That is cool you are contacting the current owners if they are interested in that Reynolds block. Great story. Good luck and like hearing these stories.
The Following User Says Thank You to RALLY For This Useful Post:
rcalzaretta62 (08-04-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 12:49 AM

To add to the story......So I contacted the folks that supposedly have Grumpy's Toy IV in Pennsylvania (Dale & Vicki) and sent them the pictures of the motor with the documentation that is was indeed the motor that was published by the Peterson Archive. I offered them the motor for what I purchased it for as I thought it should go to them. They let me know today that they wanted to pass on buying it. The potential value of a Jenkins car with the motor that won the 1970 Winternationals beating the Ronnie Sox car would put it in the stratosphere......I was shocked at their response!! Well, it is going in my Camaro where I intended it to go when I bought it. It is a Yenko built SCCA car, later turned into a drag car. This will be a good fit rather than the 1969 ZL-1 block that I was going to use. I will post a few pictures when I get it out of the crate.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:01 AM

Thanked 1,110 Times in 632 Posts

That's really too bad. It would have been great to see it back in that car.
Old 08-06-2020, 03:35 AM

Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,966 Posts

'

No need to feel bad as their car's a well known clone also actually a '67.
The truth's been discussed in a few threads here over the years, this one w/ the most info...
https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=139335

~ Pete

RobR (08-06-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 12:13 PM

Thanked 1,627 Times in 482 Posts

did you try to contact the owner of the 1970 Grumpy Camaro? maybe they will be interested

Bill used the 68 , the 69, and the 1970 Camaro in 1970 Pro Stock and match racing using many different engines Cam Am , ZL1, iron car blocks and truck blocks

Sometimes running multiple cars in one race
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to JoeC For This Useful Post:
PeteLeathersac (08-06-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 12:43 PM

Well, that explains it. Thank you for the clarification and link Pete. I did see a few posts on other sites that said it was not Toy IV, but they kept responding and arguing that it was....I fell for it!! I am sorry I sent them a copy of the documentation/details I had on the block. I have not contacted the owners of the 69 or 70 cars. I think I would rather put in my car as intended at this point since I was unable to reunite with Toy IV.
The Following User Says Thank You to rcalzaretta62 For This Useful Post:
PeteLeathersac (08-06-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 04:07 PM

I used to talk to Bill on a regular basis before he passed. I know he did not like the aluminum blocks at all. Even the cylinder heads. Those blocks have a lot of porosity in them just not compact enough. On the dyno your looking at a 10-12% loss
69 COPO CHEVELLE 4 SPEED #S MATCH
69 COPO CAMARO #S MATCH SURVIVOR (BLACK)
69 COPO CAMARO (BLACK)
55 GASSER L88 4 SPEED
66 NOVA "UNDER CONSTRUCTION"
70 440 SIX PAK CHALLENGER SUPER STOCKER
2001 RVW/LDR TRANS AM 1020" BBC 8 SYSTEMS
Old 08-06-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalzaretta62 View Post
To add to the story......So I contacted the folks that supposedly have Grumpy's Toy IV in Pennsylvania (Dale & Vicki) and sent them the pictures of the motor with the documentation that is was indeed the motor that was published by the Peterson Archive. I offered them the motor for what I purchased it for as I thought it should go to them. They let me know today that they wanted to pass on buying it. The potential value of a Jenkins car with the motor that won the 1970 Winternationals beating the Ronnie Sox car would put it in the stratosphere......I was shocked at their response!! Well, it is going in my Camaro where I intended it to go when I bought it. It is a Yenko built SCCA car, later turned into a drag car. This will be a good fit rather than the 1969 ZL-1 block that I was going to use. I will post a few pictures when I get it out of the crate.
The car out in Pittsburgh is a fake. The whole story about Toy 4 was a ex SCCA car was fabricated. Its very easy to disprove the whole story by looking at original pictures of Toy 4 and compare them to the fake one from Pittsburgh. The easy way to i.d. the car is when Jenkins had the car and when Brooklyn Heavy had the car there was no full cage like the Pittsburgh car has that was claimed to be installed before Jenkins got it.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
I used to talk to Bill on a regular basis before he passed. I know he did not like the aluminum blocks at all. Even the cylinder heads. Those blocks have a lot of porosity in them just not compact enough. On the dyno your looking at a 10-12% loss
Agree, Bill said the Aluminum heads didnt put out the horsepower like the iron head then. Thinking heat transfer had something to do with it. Yes the aluminum heads were lighter, but loss of horsepower was down.