Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 12-28-2005, 07:16 PM

Default Re: Harrell Website

I have no idea who he is or his motivations..Frankly "who" he is really shouldn't be an issue...The issue should be if his evidence and research methods are credible and they open the door to other research or another conclusion. Just like it shouldn't matter if Tom Clary is the owner of this site. It isn't a big secret that I don't like and have little use for someone with a red 1970 Chevelle here, but if his research opened up new doors on "pilot" cars for 1970 LS6's (even though I don't own the car any longer) you better bet I'd be interested..whatever his motivation for doing it.

I have no idea of the paperwork availble...sales receipts, paperwork from the design of the molds, anything tying that particular car to DH..no matter how small..Sure it isn't a buildsheet, but if only using an old memeory then again IMO it is shaky research and shakier to lay that conclusive of a claim. Isn't it possible it is another car??? After all I'm sure the cars would have been similar anyway as everyone is trying to get a competive advantage and "stealing" from one another...much like 30 years from today saying a car is a Dale Jr. car vs. another Chevy NASCAR driver.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:19 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,688 Times in 996 Posts

Marlin..Greg makes valid points. It was said there were two 68's but if there were we need more info.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea who he is or his motivations..Frankly "who" he is really shouldn't be an issue...The issue should be if his evidence and research methods are credible and they open the door to other research or another conclusion. Just like it shouldn't matter if Tom Clary is the owner of this site. It isn't a big secret that I don't like and have little use for someone with a red 1970 Chevelle here, but if his research opened up new doors on "pilot" cars for 1970 LS6's (even though I don't own the car any longer) you better bet I'd be interested..whatever his motivation for doing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, this post went over my head - I was just asking what paperwork is expected with a FC purchase.
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, & 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 12-28-2005, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Thanked 6,170 Times in 1,337 Posts

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have no idea who he is or his motivations..Frankly "who" he is really shouldn't be an issue...

I totally disagree, based on this persons motivation/stake, he could be biasing/manipulating his evidence to suit his desired outcome. Cars are hard enough to document, but Funnycars by their nature morph into many configuration... especially after 35 years of abuse. In addition they must be reconfigured to meet the latest safety regs.

Vintage Certification™ , Providing Recognition to Unrestored Muscle Cars. Website:
www.vintagecertification.com
Old 12-28-2005, 07:46 PM

Troy, Where did you came up with this info???
Old 12-28-2005, 07:52 PM

Steve,

I agree race cars change over the years..this is why sound research is even MORE important..

So using your logic..should we then look at Tom Clary's motiviations?? If you are questioning and holding this "USA1" to a standard then why not Tom? After all Tom has publicily said it was a DH car, had business cards made up saying it, promoted not only this website with it, but I would bet other business ventures. Made money in some fashion off it being a DH car..This car has been one of the catalyst for Tom's notoriety, he has gotten press coverage (magazine and otherwise)as a result and let's be honest..If it isn't the DH car Tom has the proverbial "egg on his face." Not the place to be...especailly given his zeal in promoting it. I agree that looking at "Why" someone reveals any info is always in the back of "your" mind, BUT it can't squash if there are credible research based questions.

Again not bashing Tom, but like in a football game "you" can't play only one half and win a game

G S Carlson
Old 12-28-2005, 08:30 PM

Kim, what are you talking about? Call me, check your emails for my number...........RatPack.................
Old 12-28-2005, 08:53 PM

Hey Hotair I speak for myself and have no marching orders,unlike you. If you would take the time to look at the facts you would see the truth. I have met some good people on this site,but if this is the way things are here count me out. I think Tom needs to speak for himself and tell the facts about the car. Ed

Old 12-28-2005, 09:16 PM

This topic is unreal and makes me sick! Race cars were wrecked. frames and bodies repaired and replaced. Race cars change hands often and are stripped of parts and parts changed. Previous owners memories are foggy at best usually. Next to impossible to prove or not prove this and that! What a waste of bandwidth! I am done with this thread! Roger
Old 12-28-2005, 11:13 PM

I first learned about my car from a friend who sells classic cars. He gave me the guys name and number, which I used to inquire about the car. At the time, the owner told me he had 3 vintage funnycars, one a 1967 Dick Harrell flip top car. Even though he told me the DH car was not for sale, I asked if I could see it, which I later did. Not only did the guy have in his shop 3 vintage funnycars, but more racing and hi-performance parts then I have ever seen in once place. Everything from wheels, blowers, injection setups, 348 & 409 engines, the list goes on and on.

While there we discussed at length the DH car. The car was in poor shape, the body in primer, no glass, portions of sheet metal missing, , the chassis in not much better shape, with a brackets for a radiator, hand brake, forward mounted engine brace, etc. The body had been stripped using a chemical stripper and a putty knife, at times going past the gel coat. He did tell me that in the removal of the paint is when they first saw signs of the car possibly being a DH car. Also, he had spoken with Don Hardy, who built chassis’ for Dick. Unfortunately he was not the type of person who was into taking pictures (documentation). While there he tried to sell me another early Camaro funnycar he had, but I told him I was only interested in the DH car, that if it ever came up for sale, I would be interested.

Fast forward a few months, I get a call from the guy, in desperate need of cash. He quotes me a price, and only gives me a couple of hours to make a decision. That afternoon we make the deal.
After getting the car back to my shop, and not having a clue about vintage funnycars, I begin searching the internet for information and pictures of DH and other vintage FCs. As we all do, I began buying any era magazine I could that had a pic of a DH FC in it. I too contacted Don Hardy. In addition, I purchased several individual pics off of Ebay and other sites. But it seemed, the more I learned, the more confused I became. The question kept coming up, how many 67/68/69 FCs did DH have? Fortunately two things happened that helped clear up a few things. I got to visit with Jim Kirby about his car and where it fit in, and the biggest break, I ran across Dave Libby. Once I began conversing with Dave, I felt I knew enough to begin the restoration process, but still by no means an expert on vintage FCs. Mo and I simply went by what we could see in the various pics, what was the simplest (sheet metal, etc) and what Dave was telling me. More then once I told Dave that once finished, I hoped he was not disappointed, that I would be satisfied if the car was 50-60 correct (due to the shape the car was in when I got it and my limited knowledge of FCs. Also, the guy who I bought it from said he bought it at a flea market somewhere around the Chicago area. Well, shortly after I bought the car, I talked with Bob Gibson (who lives in Springfield, IL, and is considered by most to be a vintage funny car guru) who told Mo and I that he had heard of an early Dick Harrell car being for sale in his area (this is the same Bob Gibson who discovered the “alleged” ‘69 DH funny car). In fact, the first show we attended (Hot Rod Reunion in Bowling Green) the car was parked in the American Racing Wheels booth, in which Bob Gibson was in charge.

The car was shown at the Hot Rod Reunion, then York, and then the biggee, the 2nd Annual FC Reunion at Etown, where Dave, Valerie and Pulde first saw the car. It was a special weekend, with many photos taken. The best part was listening to Dave as he walked around the car. A lot of things he complimented us on, others, such as the stance, no front sheet metal and the lack of nitro, he told me he would suggest changing. He told me he was well satisfied, that I had done well, with the car about 80% correct. IMO, the key moment took place while Dave, me, Mo and Marlin Spotts were having lunch and looking at pictures, not too far from my car. Dave asked if there had ever been any repair work done to one of the front fenders, which I replied I did not think so. Mo disagreed, went up and checked, and low and behold, repair work right where Dave said it would be. Seems Charlie Therwanger had a slight accident with the car. Since that time, Dave has appeared in several magazines standing by the car, and in a couple, answering questions about the car and its history.

While at Etown, Dave and I discussed something else, were there at least 2 ’68 cars, not counting the Kirby car. I felt there were at least two ‘68s, and 1 ’69, Dave said 1 ’68 and 2 ‘69s (more on the ’69 later). My theory is this. Judging by the photos, magazine articles, the video of the door car I have, I feel there were two early cars. The first one, most likely a ’67 Camaro, built in late ’67, one of the first one piece Camaro bodies ever produced, and needless to say, somewhat crude. And not out of the same mold as the second car nor the Kirby car. Then in the spring of ’68 the second car, the door car with the vanes on the rear deck. An interesting side note is a portion of “Agent 1320 Reports” article in SS&DI magazine. “..the poor funny car guys, the ones who took delivery on their ’67 body shells six weeks before the ’68 announcements”. Also of note, a side note in the September issue of SS&DI, where it says “The tricolor burgundy on the new Camaro was sprayed by Corky Larson of Phoenix, AZ, Harrell’s original hometown. The car took eight weeks and $12,000.00 to complete, and has run 7:80s at almost 190 mph against all kinds of tough competition. Since Dick has another similar car, he has appointed his top wrench, Charles Therwanger, to drive the new car”. Remember, back in the day, information contained in magazines was a lot more current then today. It is well documented the Red/Black car was running in early ’68. If the R/B car was simply redone, would it have cost $12,000 in 1968, and would Dick, who we know was over booked in ’68, taken the car off of the race circuit to completely redo the car?

To continue on with what Dave and I disagree with, he has gone on record saying there was one ’68 car, 2 ’69 cars, with the back-up car’s chassis used for the ’70 car. I say there were two ‘68’s, the R/B and the Burg, with the chassis from the Burg. car going under the ’70 and the body being attached to another chassis, which Steve Bimbi has a pic of from 1969. In 1968, Dick was only racing a funny car, in 1969 he was racing both a funny car and the ZL-1, thus seems he would have more need for 2 FCs in ’68 then in ’69. And I want to make it clear that I have nothing but the up most respect for Dave Libby. Even though I may disagree with him on some things from the past, he was there, I was not, so I will tip my hat to him for everything he has done for our hobby. Having the opportunity to spend time with Dave, visiting about my car has been a blast.

Now, can I say that I am 100% sure DH had 2 ‘67/68 car fliptop cars, and one of them is mine? No. Do I still believe that? Yes. But, as I have done for the past several years, I will continue to do research on my car. And to guarantee that no one gets “taken”, the car is not for sale (not that any one would want to own it). For now, it will simply remain another item in my personal collection of supercar memorabilia.

And now I see why Bill Porterfield removed the name Dick Harrell from ZL-1 #1. Some days it just is not worth it.

A few emails...

[ QUOTE ]

To: [email protected]
Sent: Friday, October 12, 2001 5:00 PM
Subject: Funny Car

Rob,

Sounds like you have your hands full of a bundle of joy!

Could you pass this on to your dad. I was fortunate to talk to Dave Libby this week, he told me he is sure the funny car your dad has is Dick's red/original funny. I don't know how much he told your dad so far, but it seems the burgandy car was a leased car, being rebodied by Jim Kirby the owner with a 70 body for the 70 season, and he still owns it. Also, said Dick was killed in the 71 "mini" camaro, as I posted on the site. Does anyone have a compendium list of magazine articles compiled about Dick? I am trying to buy whatever article related to him I can fin, regarding his work with the different dealers.

Ken Boje

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Sent: Monday, June 16, 2003 7:10 PM
Subject: Re: (no subject)
Dear Tom,
Glad to hear all is well with you. I'm sure you are eager to get the car finished. If you would, please send me a few pictures of the car. I would be honored to sign the car and I too am looking forward to it's completion. I also would like to authenticate your car with a Dick Harrell Licensing Agreement signed by you and me, that is if you plan on having Dad's name on the car. Moreover, since it was you who guided me in the right direction in getting his name licensed & trademarked and I am especially grateful that you helped me financially get the trademark started, I am only asking for $1.00 for a signed licensing agreement. I hope you will not be offended. I am honored by all that you have done to help keep Dad's name alive. Dale and I will not be at the Hod Rod Reunion, however, we do plan on being at the Funny Car Reunion in Englishtown the weekend of July 25, 26, & 27th. How about you? Again, it is always so good to hear from you. Hope your family is doing well and everyone has their health.
Warm wishes,
Valerie

Valerie Harrell
Dale Pulde
H.P. Racing, Inc.
Sylmar, CA

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 8:22 AM
Subject: Fwd: (no subject)

Rob,
Just checking email before going to work. Thank you for getting back with me right a way. I hope to see you both again on of these days. Issues are still unresolved as far as the divorce goes, however, our home did finally sell and I paid all money from that to my attorney. Oh, and by the way, please tell your father that the DH Licensing Agreement fee ($1.00) is already paid in advance.
Thanks.
Warmly,
Valerie

Valerie Harrell
Dale Pulde
H.P. Racing, Inc.
Sylmar, CA

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2003 10:00 AM
Subject: Fwd: Final proofs

Tom,
After Englishtown....... it would really nice to create a 1968 shirt for your car. Let me know. Here is what Dale helped me put together. I need to get Helen's approval, as well as Nickey.... your input please on this. I need contact info for these people too, if you have them to seek permission. As always, Val

PS: I have been meaning to tell you that I I just haven't had time to follow up on that licensing agreement for you. Just so you can have it for your records and to let others know that you have my full approval for what you have done with the car. Warmly, Val

[/ QUOTE ]