Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-29-2021, 12:36 AM
SuperNovaSS SuperNovaSS is offline
Yenko Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Posts: 6,463
Thanks: 317
Thanked 620 Times in 323 Posts
Default Hurst Wheel Spinner Center Cap Value

I am hoping someone has some experience with these vintage Hurst wheel center caps.


I was at a swapmeet today and a reseller I deal with had bought these caps earlier in the day at the swapmeet. I was picking up some other parts from him and saw these on his trailer. We talked about them and I told him I thought they were for Hurst wheels but I was not certain exactly what they were. I ended up buying them because I thought they were really cool and likely had value if they were what I thought they were. I later found out the guy I bought them from had asked a local Pontiac collector what they were and had not heard back from him before I bought them. The collector has a 65 GTO with Hurst wheels and wants to buy them. I want to be fair with him but I really have no idea what they are worth. I could put them on Ebay and have him bid on them but think that would be a bit uncouth. Can anybody familiar with these wheels/caps give me an idea of what these are worth? These are New Old Stock in the original boxes as shown.


Any opinions are welcomed and appreciated.


Thank you,


Jason
Attached Images
      
Reply With Quote
Attachments - The Supercar Registry P8285602.JPG P8285601.JPG P8285600.JPG P8285599.JPG
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
  #2  
Old 08-29-2021, 01:26 AM
PeteLeathersac's Avatar
PeteLeathersac PeteLeathersac is offline
Yenko Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: O' Canada
Posts: 12,038
Thanks: 14,801
Thanked 4,224 Times in 1,975 Posts
Default

'

Are these Spinners the style Hurst stopped selling after concerns for pedestrian safety?
Have you tried this Dennis Kirban guy on the Hamb site, he seems to know the early Hurst stuff...
[email protected]

~ Pete

.
__________________
I like real cars best...especially the REAL real ones!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-29-2021, 02:06 AM
Lee Stewart's Avatar
Lee Stewart Lee Stewart is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: ABQ, New Mexico
Posts: 36,633
Thanks: 3,506
Thanked 136,487 Times in 22,778 Posts
Default



Quote:
Hurst offered three different center cap designs. The standard cap was a flat, round chromed cap with the Hurst logo in the center. Available at extra cost was the chromed bullet-nose cap that had three Hurst logos or a chrome three-winged spinner with the Hurst logo in the center. A curved three-wing spinner was withdrawn from the market when safety and liability concerns for pedestrians were raised. All three of the caps were retained by two bolts from the rear, which prevented the caps from being stolen. Even the lug nuts were unique to the wheel, using a tapered mating surface. Lefthand thread nuts were identified by grooves machined across the flats of the hex.
https://www.motortrend.com/features/...r-hurst-wheel/
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-29-2021, 02:10 AM
Lee Stewart's Avatar
Lee Stewart Lee Stewart is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: ABQ, New Mexico
Posts: 36,633
Thanks: 3,506
Thanked 136,487 Times in 22,778 Posts
Default



Are these the discountinued curved three wing spinners?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Stewart For This Useful Post:
PeteLeathersac (08-29-2021)
  #5  
Old 08-29-2021, 02:21 PM
Paul Clinton Paul Clinton is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNovaSS View Post
I am hoping someone has some experience with these vintage Hurst wheel center caps.


I was at a swapmeet today and a reseller I deal with had bought these caps earlier in the day at the swapmeet. I was picking up some other parts from him and saw these on his trailer. We talked about them and I told him I thought they were for Hurst wheels but I was not certain exactly what they were. I ended up buying them because I thought they were really cool and likely had value if they were what I thought they were. I later found out the guy I bought them from had asked a local Pontiac collector what they were and had not heard back from him before I bought them. The collector has a 65 GTO with Hurst wheels and wants to buy them. I want to be fair with him but I really have no idea what they are worth. I could put them on Ebay and have him bid on them but think that would be a bit uncouth. Can anybody familiar with these wheels/caps give me an idea of what these are worth? These are New Old Stock in the original boxes as shown.


Any opinions are welcomed and appreciated.


Thank you,


Jason
Very rare. Have a set on my GTO since 1991. Have one rough spare. Been collecting 35+ years and seen maybe 10 sets in that time. NOS is a rare find with boxes $$$$.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Clinton For This Useful Post:
PeteLeathersac (09-18-2021)
  #6  
Old 08-29-2021, 02:26 PM
olredalert olredalert is offline
Yenko Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Marine City, Mi.
Posts: 8,833
Thanks: 27,400
Thanked 3,766 Times in 1,597 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post


Are these the discountinued curved three wing spinners?
----Typical of Joe, they are far from correct!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-29-2021, 02:37 PM
1967Z28's Avatar
1967Z28 1967Z28 is offline
Yenko Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Golden Bear State, USA
Posts: 2,012
Thanks: 1,463
Thanked 1,022 Times in 414 Posts
Default

I have seen an NOS set of four Cragar G/T spinners sell for $350. The Cragar G/T wheels don't command near the price that the original Hurst wheels do but the spinners are very uncommon for both. I haven't followed the prices on Hurst spinners. I certainly wouldn't go below $350 but I'm not sure if they should be double what the Cragar spinners are due to their rarity and desirability by the GTO folks. Hopefully somebody else here has more insight on their values.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-29-2021, 05:47 PM
Paul Clinton Paul Clinton is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Clinton View Post
Very rare. Have a set on my GTO since 1991. Have one rough spare. Been collecting 35+ years and seen maybe 10 sets in that time. NOS is a rare find with boxes $$$$.
Some small items: the wheels will require the small round backing plates (4) through the wheel center hole with the machine screws (2) and split washers (2) - each cap - to be mountable to the Hurst wheel. The wedge plate on the back of the spinners have been brazed to the pot metal caps. The stock method was a slot and press fit to the edge plate and pot metal eyes on the backside of the spinner.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-29-2021, 07:03 PM
SuperNovaSS SuperNovaSS is offline
Yenko Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Posts: 6,463
Thanks: 317
Thanked 620 Times in 323 Posts
Default

Thank you for all the replies guys. I figured the backing plates and hardware would be used from the original standard caps that came with the wheels. Is this not the case?

Also, yes, the backing plates are welded to the caps. Are you saying this is not original? Maybe early caps had the plates pressed on but were found to be unreliable and later made ones were welded?

I am just trying to learn from those in the know as there is not much accessible info on there on these.

Thanks again everyone,

Jason
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-30-2021, 01:04 PM
Paul Clinton Paul Clinton is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNovaSS View Post
Thank you for all the replies guys. I figured the backing plates and hardware would be used from the original standard caps that came with the wheels. Is this not the case?

Also, yes, the backing plates are welded to the caps. Are you saying this is not original? Maybe early caps had the plates pressed on but were found to be unreliable and later made ones were welded?

I am just trying to learn from those in the know as there is not much accessible info on there on these.

Thanks again everyone,

Jason
Standard Hurst backing plate will work with the machine screws and split washers. The brazed backing plates may be stock Hurst modifications. These Hurst optional spinner caps are actually made by a Japanese vendor that produced as very similar cap for the Ford 1965-1966 Deluxe Spinner Hub cap for the Ford Mustang. Looking closely at the spinner backing plates and caps you will see a slot for the backing plates and the cap to slide into with small tabs to bend down to secure the backing plate to the back of the spinner. Brazing may have been done by Hurst or the previous owners s insurance from them coming undone while driving. Hurst bought these from an outside vendor, did not manufacture these in Warminster, PA.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.