Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 02-12-2005, 10:43 PM

Default Re: Never give up searching !

George,
It sounds like this guys buddy was looked at by collectors as telling the story of "The old lady who has the no miles Corvette in her barn that belonged to her son who was killed in Viet-Nam and she wants $200 for the car...." The buddy no doubt knows car guys if he was at Carlisle, a national event which is very close to ground zero Yenko, so in 26 years you were the first to actually listen to his "Lost Yenko tale"? I am surprised this "Urban Legend" was even told to you. After how ever many years the buddy knew of the car, certainly you were unlikely to be the first he told, and with as easy as the negotiations were with the owner to purchase the car it is amazing the buddy did not give up at even telling the story, without a doubt over how ever many years and miles their friendship took them it would be a betting fact that others were told of the lost hidden original Yenko that could be bought, only to recieve the "Ya, uh huh, sure pal" sneer of the skeptics. Considering that, at what point would the buddy give up at being looked at as the attention starved person standing on a corner handing out maps to the "Lost Dutchmans" gold mine. What knocks me off my square about this one is the fact that it could be bought. If it were not for sale no matter what, then sitting all that time would re-classify it from lost/missing to known about but may as well be lost because money cant touch it, much like the Wisconson Yenko Camaro. A very similar yet different situation was the 68 Trans Am #2 Shelby Mustang I aquired not long ago, bought in 69 from Ford by a Team Shelby employee. I pried that car from a dark corner in a warehouse that was it's home since 69, over 30 years of a one of three car in which both owner and car were known of to the point of both being listed in the Shelby Registry, yet over the years both owner and car had become lost/missing. It was just NOT FOR SALE at any price. The owner would not even admit to still having, let alone discussing the sale of the car. Over the years many had gone to great lengths trying to seperate the car from the owner with no success to the point that many believed the car to no longer exist. That type of "Time Capsule" situation would account for a extremely desirable car to sit for 26 or more years, but for a car such as the Yenko to be announced for sale in the first phone encounter is absolutely incredible! I would venture the statement that a whole lot of people were asleep at the wheel on this one, which most likely stems from the too easy, too good to be true overconfidence we all suffer from on occasion. What I sometimes refer to as a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason". I am surprised that the friend did not try to or buy the car himself. At any rate George, I will follow up on a possible Milan photograph, that could possibly prove as or more elusive as the car itself. Considering the way the Yenko cars launch from the hole, if a front shot can be located from the car leaving the lights I am sure many here would agree that the front would be high enough in the air to possibly identify the chrome sway bar. Once aqain, congrats on a unbelievable find, I am sure it was enough to wake up many of the hunters from the lazy mode!
Motown
Old 02-12-2005, 11:51 PM

Since this post seems to have more attention than I ever dreamed, I guess I will share another very interesting tidbit about this car. As I previously disclosed, orig motor long gone but a 1969 512 4bolt was the motor I got and the one he stated was in the car at his purchase. How about this............Covette VIN, LU code, 427-435 L89 Aluminum Head, Dual-disc clutch. One of 102 in 1969. I am presently looking to see if I can find the car (please don't hate me) but if no luck I am going to publish the VIN to see if I can reunite this incredible rare motor that belongs in some Corvette if the car still exists. OK you Youngstown guys, there's some more sleuthing for you to do. If you were into Corvettes back then you would have to have noticed this car. I'd give anything to find out how that motor made its way into this Chevelle. Gotta be a great story.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:21 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

I'll go out on a limb here, but I would wager that soon there will be a Corvette with all matching #'s but missing just the motor.

COPO 9561/9737 M40 X11D80
13.37 @ 105.50 on pump gas,drove it to NATL TRAILS and back [email protected] SCR22
Old 02-13-2005, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
George,
It sounds like this guys buddy was looked at by collectors as telling the story of "The old lady who has the no miles Corvette in her barn that belonged to her son who was killed in Viet-Nam and she wants $200 for the car...."
Motown

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm sure everyone around here has heard plenty of those types of stories. Nice to see this one was actually true.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:09 AM

Joe, you are 100% correct, it just dosent get any better then this Yenko find, I would be willing to bet everyone here is Super Happy for George and his Super Find! George, you are killin me with the Corvette engine find, it would be a wonderful thing if the car is still out there and you could mate the original engine back to the car to make it matching numbers again, no matter who ends up owning it. You must be doing something right in your life as it seems good Karma is coming at you no matter which way you turn. Four Scenairios come to mind as how the engine got seperated from the Corvette:

1) Was at some point made into a race car and a completely different Hi Perf engine replaced the possibly worn or lower HP original.
2) The gas crunch with rising costs in the early seventies saw a small block make it's way into replacing the thirsty premium eating L89.
3) The car at some point was totaled(God Forbid)and the engine was salvaged.
4) The car at some point was stolen(God Forbid)and the engine was sold.

Hopefully it is one of the first two or another scenairio which leaves the car still in existence soon to be remarried after a long divorce. If the car doesnt surface at least you have one heck of an engine which through common law marriage has become part of the Yenko in lieu of the original. Jim Mattison or some of his Corvette Guru's may be able to shed some light on the missing Corvette. Good Job George!
Motown
Old 02-13-2005, 07:52 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,689 Times in 997 Posts

Andy...I'll go further out on the limb and bet the Vette is out there but already has it's matching # engine.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:58 AM

--Shake & Bake-----------------
Old 02-13-2005, 08:10 AM

Charley,
I didnt want to say that......................
Motown
Old 02-13-2005, 10:00 AM

That car brings back memories. Mr. Hassett , this is killing me! As far as i'm concerned, you guy's are 2 lucky individuals, sincerely ! What was i thinking?
Old 02-14-2005, 12:24 AM

You sure had some cool stuff Kevin...whats left anyway ?