Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > COPO - United States

Old 04-26-2005, 04:05 PM

Default indian river 69 copo camaro questions

i was checking out the smaller dealers at copo.com and noticed that the indian river dealer at cocoa beach fl. received 20 copo camaros. i just wanted to know if it was all 1 batch?? i noticed that the vins that they show are all kind of close even the two zl1 vins that this dealer received, thanks guys for any help!! dave
Attachments - The Supercar Registry 190330-VinceEmmiCertificate.jpg 188848-ZL1aaa.jpg 188846-ZL1c.jpg 188845-ZL-1.#.64a.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 04-28-2005, 05:42 AM

Default Re: indian river 69 copo camaro questions

Dave

My X44 Hugger Orange car came from Indian River. The original owner of my car told me he went there to buy a 396/375 car and was totally unaware of the 427/425 cars. The salesman told him they were out of 396/375 cars , but had these 427/425 cars in the back. He ended up buying the HO car and a friend of his ended up buying a Lemans Blue car. Purchase date of the HO car was 5/16/69. He got his first ticket on the way home from the dealership. He sold it in 74 and it was raced fairly extensively, by two brothers, in the central Florida area from 74 to 84. His friend totalled the LB car two weeks after he took delivery.
He said there were two ZL 1's there at the time he bought the car. I believe he said one was red and the other was Cortez Silver. They sold the red one, not sure if they sold the silver one, or dealer transferred it. Personally don't know of any other cars from there. I think Ed C. has 20 down for them.

Vern Bauer
Old 04-28-2005, 04:04 PM

hi vern thanks for the help,i checked a vin to date list that i have and your car would fall in that vin area, also zl1 # 64 from that dealer was in ft. myers fl. only an hour from me up until about 1988 sitting in a storage area,needing restoration i did not know about it until years later after it had been sold, two yenkos also were found in the same area back in the 80s one was owned by tommy turner and the other was owned by mike thompson both of naples fl. thanks again dave.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:11 AM

hey vern you wouldnt know the names of the two brothers??? i may know them i have been going to many of the florida drag race tracks since around 82.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:25 PM

Yep. His name is Kelly Waldrop. Last I knew, he still lived in the central Florida area (maybe Sanford). Probably still have his phone number somewhere. His dads name on the title application was George. Don't remember if I ever heard his older brothers name. His dad bought him this car as his first car when he was 16. They raced it in the central Florida area from 74-84. I've talked to him several times, but not for a few years now. He was always going to get me pics, timeslips,etc, but his wife had all the stuff and you can imagine the rest of the story. If you know him by any chance, any help getting any pics, timeslips and anything else he might have, would be appreciated.
There is an interesting thing I got in the paperwork from the Florida DMV back when I was researching the car. The title was applied for as off road use and was exempted from sales tax. Never seen anything like that before.

Thank's,

Vern
Old 04-30-2005, 02:49 AM

vern the name does not ring a bell but i will talk to some of the older veteran racers that i know, if he lived in sanford he may have raced orlando speedworld or maybe lakeland dragstrip,
Old 02-07-2006, 09:46 PM

I wanted to mention that Indian River Chevrolet sold 2 ZL1's , the red one which was fromerly owned by Dick Bridges, (now Frank D in CA) and the Hugger Orange which was bought new by Bill Turner. I bought the HO ZL1 from Bill in the 80's with 911 miles. It is back to day one, a fairly easy resto. Orig Motor, P-O-P , window sticker, dealer invoice, BE rear, even have the receipt from engine blueprint right after car purchase. Also orig quarters, fenders doors, rosewood, endura, header , valance,subframe trunk lid, only the hood was replaced due to hole for tunnel ram, and rear trunk floor section swapped from CA parts car due to trimming on inner wheelhouses. (all photo documented ) Still has 911 miles. I like to look at it, its a stunning low mile work of art. Bob Dance was the salesman who sold both of them, they were twins in a way, both with tinted glass, rally wheels, endura bumper, and rosewood steering wheel. I also have the 69 COPO Cortez Silver 4 sp from Indian River that was Bill Turner's . It has the dealer inv too, showing headlight washer option! (Its not a rally sport though) Maybe that is the silver car that Vern B remembers. Its being restored, and is going to paint shortly.Steve Drueck
#64 ZL-1, YENKO'S, COPO's, L78 IPC conv, L78-Z11, Z10, #1 Z28.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:03 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Do you still have the '69 DY Yenko Camaro?
Old 02-08-2006, 01:26 AM

So what are you bringing to the Reunion ?????
Old 02-08-2006, 01:39 AM

IT WOULD BE GREAT TO SEE STEVE BRING SOME OF HIS CARS TO THE REUNION. WHAT ARE YOU BRINGING BELAIR ?? KP