Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Garages/shops..

Old 03-01-2019, 11:13 AM

Exciting

What about a bathroom and or kitchen area?

Dan
70 Buick Skylark Post Sedan Burnished Saddle

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PM3DE8qI2NY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn4xEmGypUw
Attachments - The Supercar Registry wallbs.jpg ssssssnnnake.jpg sssnakey.jpg shopsa.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 03-01-2019, 11:21 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postsedan View Post
Exciting

What about a bathroom and or kitchen area?

Dan
Where is the beer garden going to be?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crush For This Useful Post:
MosportGreen66 (04-08-2019), napa68 (03-01-2019), NorCam (03-03-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 06:53 PM

Super Dave, this is exciting. So figure your power requirements and specifically how many outlets you need and then multiply x2! Can't have too many and if not careful will end up with too few. Think about internal wall or external to the wall air lines. Internal look nicer (to some - just ask Eddie, he has a gentleman's garage ;>)) External can look steam-punk cool if you use copper and are easy to detect/fix leaks. Consider lots of drops (i.e. fill tires or place a dust-making media blaster outside of the shop) around the shop and don't forget external drops but consider freezing temps so insulate external air lines and have water evacuation levers at each drop. Windows are good for natural lighting but consider placing windows higher up, say 8-10 feet off of the deck for security/prying eyes reasons. Consider where sun light will be cast (i.e.don't want it fading your car interior) and consider glass filtering to mitigate this. Lots and lots of insulation in walls and ceiling (generally inexpensive) and consider 2x6 wall construction to give you extra room for extra insulation. With yr high ceilings yr utility bills can get expensive. For concrete floors inside and near your shop consider saw cut seams in concrete (vs standard wide rounded seams) so when rolling things like engine hoist or jacks or other heavy loads on smaller wheels and they contact the seams you don't come to a sudden stop/tip over. that's all for now.

Last edited by mockingbird812; 03-01-2019 at 07:11 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mockingbird812 For This Useful Post:
NorCam (03-03-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 10:01 PM

Dave
Use plenty of ball valve shut offs to Zone your air and water supply between buildings. Consider along with the bathroom,a shower. If you dont use it as a shower,then it can be used for cleaning car parts. A microwave oven and a fridge are all you need as far as a kitchen is concerned.
Consider an old stove /oven for powder coating.

Paul
68 Camaro Z28,Corvette Bronze,Houndstooth
www.vancouverclassiccars.com
Old 03-02-2019, 02:40 PM

Dave - if you want the compressor outside to minimize noise then creating a mini shed built to the outside walls of your shop to protect it from the elements with perhaps some insulation on walls may give you round the year operations.

Old 03-02-2019, 03:06 PM

Subscribing to this one!

Another option on the compressor location is to build a closet for it inside the shop. Isolate the sound, while still keeping it indoors. Easier access and maintenance, but of course you lose some square footage inside.

I'm in a predicament myself. I don't have the space I need to really enjoy this hobby. I look at real estate constantly to find land to build a shop or some commercial space for purchase. I should really make a thread and seek advice from everyone here.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:16 PM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts

Some great idea's from Sam and others already. I'm in a colder climate (especially right now as it feels about as cold as Uranus ) and like the idea of the compressor built in so it's away from elements. A soundproof closet with a vent works well and maybe create a drip pan and a drain for it. I know you're in Texas but I think there's a continental shift in weather patterns with cold weather reaching deeper south in recent times. This year especially.

Another big thing for me was adding air to my ceiling on retractable reels. Since doing this between bays, I've never had the need to pull ground hoses across the shop and have never used my wall mounted connectors since. Quick and easy to pull down and across the shop and one tug so they roll right back up. They rock. Lot's of shut off ball valves around the feeds as suggested earlier. Oh yeah, if I was building another shop, I'd definitely install a urinal and a hand sink somewhere!!! I can't count the times I've walked out to the shop to start on something and said, damn I gotta pee now. That usually means walking back to the house, then I stop to look at emails, snack on something and pour another coffee and wastes so much time. I finally get back to working in the shop and bam, 60 minutes later the cycle starts again.

I have concrete between my house and shop, and if it wasn't there'd be a 120' cow trail from all the washroom breaks. As we get older we gotta pee more, don't forget that.

Congrats on the exciting time for your shop build out. I'll be watching.
markinnaples (04-01-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 11:41 PM

out of curiosity, how did you pick those two different sizes on the buildings?
Old 03-04-2019, 03:02 AM

funny you mention that about hoarding stuff. (my struggle in life) one of my best friends built a shop that he said he was going to make it just big enough that all his equipment would be on one side and on the other his tool boxes and work bench and in between just big enough a dually truck with the doors open would have about 5 ft between benches and shelves. this was to make it just to do his mechanic work on his cars and no storage. it works.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:57 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Thanked 4,575 Times in 1,136 Posts

Not sure what happened to the starting of this thread by me, or why it now shows Dan "The Man" Vasic as the starter, but no matter. I'll just send him the bill for all of this!

Concrete on 1/2 of the 15,000 sq.ft. driveway which includes the shops and barn!! I just started framing the shops out for electrical. More to come....

Cheers
Dave
Attached Images

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to A12pilot For This Useful Post:
m22mike (04-01-2019), markinnaples (04-01-2019), NorCam (04-07-2019), olredalert (04-06-2019), SS427 (04-01-2019)