Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 07-09-2014, 04:44 PM

Default Re: It's 1969 and your Camaro gets delivered...

Back in the day in the dealership I worked at the hubcaps were either just left in the trunk or in plastic wrapped around the hubcaps in the trunk.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:06 PM

the plastic wrap / bags is what I remember as well

I worked as a new car prep person at the local Lincoln Mercury dealer in high school and don't remember any wheel covers or hub caps being installed on the cars

Ditto for when I worked at the Pontiac main assembly plant in Pontiac from 71-73, trim rings and wheel covers where never attached, I think they were plastic wrapped with cardboard sections between them

Old 07-09-2014, 08:07 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

In model year 1969, the Corvettes with standard trim had the caps in boxes and the trim rings in heavy shrink wrap with corrugated paper between them. Each had a packing slip and they were placed behind the seats. The antenna was back there as well with no wrapping.
All numbers match...something
New carpet and headliner
New AC system, blows cold in the winter
It ain't for sale so, don't ask
Old 08-02-2014, 11:01 PM

every dog dish ive ever seen came in bags like this or the ones i described earlier...

I worked at a GM dealership too.. new car prep..no boxes...boxes where intended for service parts or counter sales..if it came with the car..it was not in boxes...it was either wrapped in paper..or a little later they where in shrink wrap..never intended to be boxed and sold..that cost money to box and label...i believe there was a pick tag on parts in the trunk..and GM was frugal....but dealerships did what it took to sell cars..you want 15x7 rallies on your 6 cylinder Nova..you got them..the sale happened...

of course, theres exceptions...always...i believe if a boxed and part numbered part was in a trunk, id guess they where added by the sales dept or service..at least thats how i remember it..but a lot of time passed..and it didnt really matter...they where just cars being sold and delivered...i worked at a dealership in the 90s also..and i dont remember any boxed parts either..but i've drank a lot of beer between then and now....

also, ive had a ton of inventory..bought and sold a bunch...i cant tell you how many dog dishes i have had that had the part number written in pencil on the inside....they came in trunks, and never made it in a car, and the dealership put it right in inventory...no stickers..no labels...just plain old #2 lead pencil...

again..GM boxed and reboxed a bunch..ive seen old date coded stuff in brand new style boxes..if the package was damaged it got reboxed

theres so many variables..who knows..what one dealer ship did may not be what another would even consider..they where moving cars

Old 08-03-2014, 04:23 AM

I think that is a "parts store bag from Canada" not a new car dealership trunk parts and there are exceptions to all.