Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 01-06-2017, 06:02 AM

Default '70 Chevelle SS Plastic Dash/Bezel

Looking for ideas/feedback on a '70 Chevelle SS dash bezel....the massive plastic part.

Anyone here have any experience with any repro versions made? Quality/fit, any "glaring" problems.

Anyone have a real nice used original core for sale? (I may post a "Parts Wanted" ad as this project develops).

Thanks
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 01-06-2017, 12:10 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,762 Times in 742 Posts
Default Re: '70 Chevelle SS Plastic Dash/Bezel

The most obvious difference is that the small circles surrounding the turn signal, brake light, and high beam indicators are silver rather than black on the reproductions I have seen.

Dykstra Motorsports
Old 01-06-2017, 12:37 PM

Thanked 3,869 Times in 1,000 Posts

Also the fonts on the "Wiper" and "lighter" are slightly different and the glove box door does not fit flush across the face. Still not bad if being used on a driver quality car. The chrome trim is certainly a nice addition. Otherwise no issues that I have seen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations
Old 01-06-2017, 08:17 PM

Thanks for the feedback/info....I'm going to lean towards trying to find a nice original bezel to restore. Car is in the process of a super nice restoration so trying to err on the side of using original parts where possible.

How about an original 4 speed shifter for the car??? Looking for one as well.....non-Hurst type shifter (apparently a Muncie or Inland shifter).

Thanks
Old 01-06-2017, 10:33 PM

Thanked 3,869 Times in 1,000 Posts

Muncie shifters are pretty easy to find though very expensive. The shift arms and reverse lock outs are not so easy to find. If you plan on driving the car to any degree I would HIGHLY recommend using a Hurst Competition Plus shifter with a Muncie handle so that it at least works well and looks original from the interior. Keep the Muncie shifter if/when it becomes a trailer queen. Muncie shifters are total junk even when completely rebuilt in my opinion and I have done just a few dozen of them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations
Old 01-07-2017, 04:53 AM

Thanks SS427 - yeah it's sort of funny that Chevy kind of dropped the ball in the equipment area when it came to the shifter. Especially considering the better working Hurst shifters were being used on other GM models.

Someone at Muncie must have had a lot of pull w/GM....that OR Muncie found they'd overproduced their shifters and had to convince someone at GM to use them up [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img]

Getting even more conspiracy-minded....maybe HURST had a &quot;plant&quot; at Muncie and foisted the ill-working Muncie shifters onto Chevy...all the while knowing the car owners would hate them and run out and buy the aftermarket Comp shifters. Knowing how marketing oriented/promotional George Hurst was it wouldn't surprise me......he knew he had a great product.

That's what this car had with it.....the Hurst Comp shifter with the adjustable stop bolts and a two-bolt bolt on chrome handle.

The resto work is being done very thoroughly.....frame off, etc. They want to go back to original but you're right....the owner may drive it and ask &quot;You still have that Hurst shifter that was in the car?....we may need it after driving/shifting this thing&quot; [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img]