Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 01-31-2022, 02:40 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,154 Posts
Default 68 El Camino blowing fuse

20 amp fuse (right side, second from the bottom) blows as soon as I turn on the key. Turn signals are not on. Car not in reverse. As soon as I hit the key, it pops, so dead short to ground somewhere.

It blew once about 2.5 years ago. I coasted in to a truck stop; bought fuses, replaced it and it hasn't blown again until this week. I suspect something touched ground on a bump back then. Now, it appears something is worn clear through, and staying grounded.

Powers Directional Signals and back up lights. Also powers that "ign" terminal to the left of the fuse. I had my electric fuel pump hooked up to that terminal and it quit on me going down the highway. I was able to jamb the spade connector into the other side of the fuse and drove it home without turn signals.

I plan to run the fuel pump to another spot, just in case this happens again. I already have an inline fuse on it, so it doesn't even need to be fused. Obviously, I only want power to it when the car is turned on.

Anyone dealt with a similar issue? Thought I would ask before I start taking stuff apart looking for a short. And yes, it blows even with the fuel pump unplugged.

I suspect something in the steering column, as the turn signals and or back up lights don't even have to be on to blow the fuse. Guessing a wire going to the TS switch.
Attached Images

O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 02-01-2022, 12:57 AM

Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,154 Posts

Looked at the wiring diagram last night and was reminded that the pink wire from the fuse block goes directly to the TS flasher. I haven't worked on 60s wiring in forever.

Remembered that there was s cheap aftermarket flasher installed before I got the car. I saw it when I was putting in the air shock fill lines on the jack pack.

Looked under the dash this evening and sure enough, it had broken, come loose from the holder and was laying on the bottom of the dash frame. I had to pull it off. It was essentially welded on to the dash frame.

Put in a 53 year old flasher I removed from a 69 Camaro. All is good.
Attached Images

enio45 (02-01-2022), L_e_e (02-01-2022), olredalert (02-01-2022), RPOLS3 (02-01-2022), scuncio (02-01-2022), Xplantdad (02-01-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 01:24 AM

Thanked 5,961 Times in 2,907 Posts

Nice detective work!