Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 07-15-2013, 03:22 AM

Default A Norwood Reunion Success!

WOW! The GM Norwood Reunion was in a word, unreal. So many workers stopped to admire "their car" and spoke proudly; almost like the parent of a child. One gentleman who worked at Norwood for 37 years pointed out many items of "his work". When I invited him to sit in the car on a seat that was 45 years old, he looked like a child on Christmas morning.

I could sense the genuine pride that went into building these autos. The same gentleman from above said the 69 Camaro was a "tough car to build as it was all steel". When a Line Forman told him to speed up the welding to the rocker panel, he choose to take an extra 7 seconds to "perfect" the job he was doing. He also pointed out how he welded in the rear taillight panel and wheel housings too.

Also, the myth "not to buy a car that was made on a Monday or a Friday" is just that, a myth.
From start to finish, a Norwood Camaro took two and one-half days to built, so really no car was built on those days. The five-mile long assembly line was churning out 54 cars an hour...OMG!

With the event a success and Phil Borris finally exhaling, all I can say is that I was honored to be invited and proud as the current "care-giver" to bring Ol Yeller back to re-unite her with her parents.

98 Surburban
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 07-15-2013, 11:15 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 4,491 Times in 1,247 Posts
Default Re: A Norwood Reunion Success!

Thanks for posting and glad the event went well.

Regarding line rate, in my truck days we ran 60 jobs per hour (one per minute). That's fast enough that if you are standing on the flat track when it starts up you will fall over (unless you grab the vehicle you are standing next to). I believe the Pontiac Michigan assembly plant had gusts up to 70 jph during the boom years.

K
'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph best
Old 07-15-2013, 12:49 PM

That is precisely my point when I try to explain an abnormality in an original unrestored car. We, as enthusiasts take a lot of time perfecting what the factory did in minutes, sometimes seconds.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:02 PM

I'm sorry I couldnt make it down to the reunion. Looks like I missed a super event.Just a heads up to browsers, if you click on Jeffs pics the first is a video and the second is a slide show. Hey Jeff , I like the dealer tag on the back.WAG
Old 07-16-2013, 12:23 AM

Wow. Wish I could have made it.

Did anyone get to meet Ron Terrell? He was the original owner of the Tin Soldier and retired from Norwood. He was supposed to make it out there,

RichPern