Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 08-21-2004, 09:31 AM

Default Fake Your POP

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=34214
Man, It's always been buyer beware but I think it's going to be next to impossible to really know without major investigation prior to buying a car.
And if you buy on ebay you 'aint got the time!

AS1 AO1 D55 J52 U17 U69 Z28
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 08-21-2004, 10:46 AM

Default Re: Fake Your POP

---I feel like I'm back in the old neighborhood , where somebody was either trying to sell you a watch,or merchandise that happened to fall of a truck.---Amazing

I'LL Take a '68 L78 Camaro to go-----------
Old 08-21-2004, 10:53 AM

Wonder what GM would think of him selling a Trademark item such as that lil old Bowtie on that plate!!!!!
Old 08-22-2004, 08:53 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

While I agree that it's lends itself to fraud in the wrong hands,what about the people with real cars that have limited or no paperwork?Let's face it,that's about 80-90% of the one's out there. I hope when/if Jim Mattison releases the records something like this will compliment the history a certified car.Again,this is not meant to condone fraudulent activity,as long as it's ethically disclosed and represented as an homage to the car-
Old 08-23-2004, 06:00 AM

Thanked 1,513 Times in 726 Posts

This stuff is nothing new. For years and years, every month in Hemmings, there has been a guy in Florida (I believe) who runs an ad selling repop Protect-o-Plates, made to your specification. Claims to have the right equipment to make them indistinguishable from the originals. Probably not too difficult - hey, it's not rocket science.

As I have maintained for years, anyone relying solely on this type of stuff as "proof positive documentation" is potentially making a big mistake. Gotta do your homework!

73 Camaro RS Z28, L82, M20, C60
Old 08-23-2004, 09:13 PM

With todays technology and the high prices that muscle cars are getting these days it's enevitable that scammers will crawl out from under their rocks and try to make a quick buck. So now we have people catering to scammers so that they can perpetuate an even bigger scam. Dosen't surprise me.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:10 PM

All I could say is shame on you people for buying such a product, and these people should be arrested.

I am so glad I live in Canada, all cars imported here, and produced here by GM are all documented and cannot be faked.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:02 PM

Dosent matter where you live. Canada is a target area becouse Canadiams think they're safe from scammers. Living here in Alberta we get the countrys garbage dumped on our doorstep becouse our registration/insurance rules are so lax. We get a lot of those "easter bunnys" up here, the rusted out piles of crap that can't be registered down east. They redo them to hide all the problems and dump them on our streets. British Columbia does it to. There is a lot of crap on our streets, ducked taped mosquito killers. Be careful what you buy from anywhere. I used to be in the car buisness so i know whats being done out there including "fake cars". That's why im no longer in it, just got tired of the BS.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:24 PM

Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,149 Posts

Your right about Canadian Documented cars.The nearly wrote the book on How it should be done.Although they do still have their fair share of scammers.
Years ago,I was going to buy a Full Rotiserrie restored 1970 LS6 Chevelle Convertible,in my Favorite Color,Code#50 Gobi Biege,with white interior,on the West coast of Canada.It was Built in Baltimore,and then shipped to Canada.All the Part numbers and Date codes were in line with this Chevelle,as was the VIN# stamped on the block.The "Real McCoy".
After talking to the owner for several hours on the phone,and receiving numerous pictures & papers in the mail,I was preparing to board a plane and cement the deal.At that same time I had heard of Vintage Vehicle Services(George Z.),so thought I would contact them just to be sure.I gave George the VIN#,and 2 hours later he calls me Back,saying this particular chevelle,was sold new in 1970 as a 307 Malibu on the East side of Canada,and Faxed me the dealer destination & options it was originally delivered with.I was stunned,not to mentiion a few other feelings.I quickly called the seller,and told him the deal was off,& that I wanted my Deposit back.He agreed and apologized,and did come through on his word of refunding all my time & money vested.He too called Vintage Vehicle Services for the same info after me,as he too was Taken from the man that sold this Car to him,and was the one restoring it in the pictures in Canada.He took that SOB to court & won,although I hear he is standing in line waiting to get full compensation from the man that sold him that Chevelle.I watch the Western state auctions to see if this original 307,Now LS6 pops up again,as I have it's VIN# & Cowl tag info.,& 25 pix of it during the restoration.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:43 AM

True but If it were not for GM Vintage Services here in Canada you would have gotten scammed - I tell you if i buy another car - (and I will cause I want my own) I want a Canadian built of Sold so that I am sure what I get is what I get.

BTW anyone got a 68 Canadian Built Elky or a 68 Beaumont for sale lol