Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 08-09-2001, 07:46 PM

Default Re: 69 Zl1 Corvette

Kevin what William may have been referring to was an article in Vette Nov 1985 by Marty Schorr. "what is somewhat confusing is the option list which also includes an L-88 engine at $1,032.15. Could it be that this car was originally delivered with an L-88 engine and then converted to Zl-1 status by the dealer. Jack Cheskaty bought the car with 100 miles on its clock..."
Mag also shows a dealer invoice from Paulos Auto Co.with the L-88 on line 7 and ZL-1 on line 11. Cheskatsy bought the car from Gordon Wilson Chevrolet in Salt Lake city.
Great car. Terry (a man with not enough time and too many magazines)

Old 08-09-2001, 09:36 PM

Terry, I have all those magazines too. My ZL1 was not a dealer conversion. It absolutely was a ZL1 from Chevrolet. Jack Cheskaty states emphatically, unequivocally that the Chevrolet window sticker stated ZL1. Jack states, quote: "The ZL1 option on the original Chevrolet window sticker essentially doubled the price of the car and there was no mistaking that!!!" He bought it from the smaller dealer Gordon Wilson in Utah which acquired it from Paulos Chevrolet. The NICB report I have confirms it was shipped to Paulos from the factory. Then it sat for many months before Cheskaty bought it. The outrageous price of around ten grand was the reason it didn't sell for months. The 100 miles on the odometer were a few test miles by tire kickers, and driving from Paulos to Gordon Wilson's.

If you go to the web site for the yellow ZL1, you will see that it has both the RPO's L88 and RPO ZL1 listed. Kevin
Old 08-09-2001, 09:58 PM

Kevin that makes sense. Do you know whether your car was originally ordered by someone who backed out or was it set up to build dealer traffic. I remember the Blue ZL-1
RS Camaro at Otis Chandler was loaded and used by the dealer to build traffic until someone walked in and bought it (storey from Jerry the curator)
Once more, great car and thanks for the extra detail. Terry
Old 08-09-2001, 10:03 PM

Just curious...have the 2 ZL-1 Corvettes EVER been side to side since they were sold? What an awesome site! Seems to me that Collinsville would be just about half way...
The Following User Says Thank You to Chevy454 For This Useful Post:
L79Chevelle (12-18-2021)
Old 08-10-2001, 12:20 AM

Rob, They were together at Bloomington about 12 years ago. I would really like to go to Collinsville this year, but have family Labor Day vacation plans with other family and friends. I have a pretty understanding wife with my car hobby; but I'd better not jeopardize that by taking off during this family vacation. Some day I've got to make it there though, Kevin
Old 08-10-2001, 03:01 AM

Kevin:

Believe me, I TOTALLY understand the family thing! It seems like it takes an act of Congress just for me to get to the shop! But, family comes first, everything else second.

I have yet to see either of these ZL-1 Corvettes...does Roger ever travel with his? I am assuming he is a regular Bloomington attendee?
Old 08-10-2001, 02:48 PM

Thanked 1,648 Times in 486 Posts

Kevin - more stripe questions. Do you know if Chevy has a RPO number or a part number for a stencil kit for the ZL1 stripe? I don't see a stripe RPO on Rogers ZL1 info. Do you know if this is a true story on the white 1968 L71 Corvette with the prototype ZL1 stripe done at the factory? Did your ZL1 originally have the same stripe as the yellow ZL1? I believe you said that the dealer added the Motion style stripe but was it Paulos or Wilson's? Maybe you should add something about the Motion stripe to your web site description. I see on other Corvette discussion boards that some people think the car is a "Motion ZL1" or that it has a factory stripe that was also used on Motion Corvettes. I think people see the Motion Corvettes, the yellow ZL1, and the white ZL1 and get confused by the stripes.
Old 08-10-2001, 06:36 PM

Joe, there is no RPO for a ZL1 stripe. My car was built Nov/68 and the yellow ZL1 was a late production car which had no RPO for a stripe either. Cheskaty said the stripe was on my ZL1 when he bought it new from the dealer, so it was either factory or dealer applied. If it was dealer applied it would be apparent that Paulos copied B/M; or if factory applied, then B/M copied Chevrolet. Chevrolet did have a similar stripe on the prototype ZL1 as you point out. My ZL1 did not come from Baldwin Motion though. Kevin
Old 08-10-2001, 08:20 PM

Thanked 1,648 Times in 486 Posts

Kevin,
The prototype stripe car I am talking about is a white 1968 L71 with a ZL1 stripe done at GM tech center or at least that is what they claim on the web page. The story behind this car is that it was the prototype car for the ZL-1 stripe, used by GM Design in 68 before the real ZL-1 was released. The car was originally ordered by a GM employee but never titled, driven, or registered and was then sold directly from the GM Tech Center. The guy has the GM "Request for Vehicle Purchase" from the Tech Center as well as a copy of the original options sheet which has an option for "Kit ZL-1 Stripes". He also has an old picture of the car. here is the link

http://www.sharkwerkes.com/sharktank...o/68proto.html
Old 08-10-2001, 08:32 PM

The stripe that appears on Roger Judski's car is indeed listed in the Assembly Instruction Manual for the 1969 Corvette... The very last page (in the RPO section) if I'm not mistaken.

All of the dimensions for the stripe are detailed on this page. I don't have the AIM in front of me, but I'm a bit curious as to when the page was added. I know that the car Kevin owns is a November 1968 build while Roger's car is a September 1969 build... Quite a spread between the two. It will be interesting to see when that "stripe" page was added.

Regards,

Stan Falenski