Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 03-21-2020, 09:09 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS427 View Post
Based on all the different pet peeves everyone has, can someone post the perfect show car that everyone likes and finds nothing wrong with????

I learned a valuable lesson when I was a young man running an international car club in the early 80's. We had a guy try to join the club with his El Camino that was not that nice and had a lot of the same trinket show items discussed here. Many members of the club made fun of him, his car and his trinkets. When he asked to join the club we took a vote and said no as he did not fit our "molds". He was quite hurt and moved on. Over the years of going to hundreds of car shows I saw just as many different cars with their own character as I saw people with the same and I realized what we may think is a piece of crap to us was possibly the best thing that person had ever owned. I quickly realized that one man's junk was another man's treasure and that we as car people should not judge peoples cars but rather enjoy them for what they are and allow those owners to be proud of what they own.

The owner of the El Camino and how our club treated him literally haunted me for years when I matured enough to realize how I had acted. Out of the blue about three years ago he contacted me after seeing my Facebook page and just wanted to catch up. I confided in him how bad I had felt all these years. He said it really bothered him back then but had gotten over it and moved on but appreciated the fact that I not only kept it on my mind but also apologized to him.

I guess the moral of the story and seeing all these comments and pictures of these cars is someone not only owns them but is proud of them. Who are we to say that they are junk or have stupid displays? I admit I have seen some pretty strange displays and cars but evidently the owner does not see it that way and is proud to bring it to a show and display it. I see many cars at shows today that make me laugh inside but now I actually take the time to talk to the owner, ask them to tell me about their car and maybe ask why they did what they did whether I think it is or not. Sometimes there are good stories behind these cars. I walk away proud that I could make someone feel good if not for just a day. Considering the circumstances of our society today maybe we should all think about doing that. Rant over.
Amen; just because something may not be your taste or meet your standards doesn't mean it is any less important or valuable to the car's owner.
While I admire all of the beautiful cars owned by the members here, my driver quality Corvette was loved and cherished by me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Rifkin For This Useful Post:
Locker537 (03-22-2020), markinnaples (03-22-2020)
Old 03-21-2020, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Based on all the different pet peeves everyone has, can someone post the perfect show car that everyone likes and finds nothing wrong with????

I learned a valuable lesson when I was a young man running an international car club in the early 80's. We had a guy try to join the club with his El Camino that was not that nice and had a lot of the same trinket show items discussed here. Many members of the club made fun of him, his car and his trinkets. When he asked to join the club we took a vote and said no as he did not fit our "molds". He was quite hurt and moved on. Over the years of going to hundreds of car shows I saw just as many different cars with their own character as I saw people with the same and I realized what we may think is a piece of crap to us was possibly the best thing that person had ever owned. I quickly realized that one man's junk was another man's treasure and that we as car people should not judge peoples cars but rather enjoy them for what they are and allow those owners to be proud of what they own.

The owner of the El Camino and how our club treated him literally haunted me for years when I matured enough to realize how I had acted. Out of the blue about three years ago he contacted me after seeing my Facebook page and just wanted to catch up. I confided in him how bad I had felt all these years. He said it really bothered him back then but had gotten over it and moved on but appreciated the fact that I not only kept it on my mind but also apologized to him.

I guess the moral of the story and seeing all these comments and pictures of these cars is someone not only owns them but is proud of them. Who are we to say that they are junk or have stupid displays? I admit I have seen some pretty strange displays and cars but evidently the owner does not see it that way and is proud to bring it to a show and display it. I see many cars at shows today that make me laugh inside but now I actually take the time to talk to the owner, ask them to tell me about their car and maybe ask why they did what they did whether I think it is or not. Sometimes there are good stories behind these cars. I walk away proud that I could make someone feel good if not for just a day. Considering the circumstances of our society today maybe we should all think about doing that. Rant over.
Very well said sir!!!!
Old 03-21-2020, 09:42 PM

Rick gets it!
Old 03-21-2020, 11:32 PM

Yeah, at this point I'm really just happy to see cars at car shows. I tend to not get too bothered by style or the details here at local shows. I like to see younger than average car owners. I seem to not be able to get enough 60's Chevy muscle but I really like oddball old cars not often seen.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:57 PM

Here’s one, Being put in the modified class, so you walk around the “ stock class” and there isn’t a single stock car.
There will be shows again, it’s March , there’s not much here until may june. And this is the motor city.
What ever happened to a car being a classic before you put it in a show. If you pass a few as daily drivers on the way to a show, it just maybe should be taking up a spot where a classic Should be.
This wasn’t a bash thread, it was just all in fun, a lot are tired of seeing goofy things at shows. I know I am.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burd View Post
...This wasn’t a bash thread, it was just all in fun, a lot are tired of seeing goofy things at shows. I know I am.
Rick, as noted, well said. I have been the one victimized and jeered at a show some 30 years ago. Guy said To his buddy, loud enough that I could hear, “they should start screening the cars they are allowing to come in here[show].”
I did not like it at the time either. And that stuff sticks with a guy, he does not forget it.
Having said that, to me, big difference what is going on in this thread. Guys just airing out what they don’t care for. Doesn’t mean we are vocalizing to owners how their ride doesn't measure up or conform to what we like. That’s rude. The other, just opinion kept to one’s self or, in this case, shared with buddies as an exercise. After all, that’s the flavor or essence of any car at a show, an expression of individual taste, opinion & artistic abilities. Most local shows I don’t care for 95% of the cars. Not my taste. Still doesn’t stop me from going, friendly talking to those owners and giving their car a once over. If anything, just to learn, make friends and gain a contact as a source for parts and to have a good time. I don’t care if they are old (owner or car), if they have money or not, if the project is finished or not, you get the point. Always an interesting story, if the owner opens up and talks? If I shared an opinion in this thread, and I did, it was with guys I figured shared similar opinions? As a disclaimer; If I did? I never intended to insult anyone reading this thread that does to their car any of the peeves I noted. As a free person in a free country, I enjoy, and defend others, saying what they want. But I was brought up with enough manners and sense not to intentionally disparage or insult fellow hobbyists. And when I do say something interpreted as hurtful, I apologize to that person and ask my Savior for forgiveness.

69 SS/RS 396 M20 X22 Nor 12B,72B,712 bought 1979
FULL OWNER HISTORY
69 Dick Harrell tribute Day II 427 M20 4.10 X11 76 orig pnt, 711
67 Super Stock 302 Camaro re-creation

Last edited by bbbentley; 03-22-2020 at 01:23 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bbbentley For This Useful Post:
67since67 (03-22-2020), earntaz (03-22-2020), PeteLeathersac (03-22-2020), SS427 (03-22-2020), Z15 SS 454 (03-22-2020)
Old 03-22-2020, 01:07 AM

Quote:

The car show and the car show with the swap meet.

Tommy
Old 03-22-2020, 01:59 AM

Thanked 1,120 Times in 639 Posts

So instead of what I don't like, here is what I do like. I like 14 and 15 inch wheels, wide in the rear and skinny in the front on muscle cars. A little rake without being too low. I like old school or original engines with carburetors and distributors. I love manual transmissions. I like clean, simple and uncluttered. I like spoilers if they are correct for the car, factory style paint and stripes.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to big gear head For This Useful Post:
67 Nova Boy (03-24-2020), bbbentley (03-22-2020), earntaz (03-22-2020), Gary Anderson (03-22-2020), kwhizz (03-24-2020), markinnaples (03-22-2020), McCune (03-22-2020)
Old 03-22-2020, 02:38 AM

Thanked 136,488 Times in 22,778 Posts

I'm in a bashing mood so I'm not going to post any more on this thread. It was fun while it lasted. And as a farewell gift . . . . colored spark plug wires!

The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Stewart For This Useful Post:
Burd (03-22-2020)
Old 03-22-2020, 08:24 AM

Thanked 136,488 Times in 22,778 Posts

OK - just one more - I promise . . .

The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Stewart For This Useful Post:
Burd (03-22-2020)