Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 09-07-2019, 07:24 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreekDave View Post
About the best I have been able to come with so far is this:
https://www.utrechtart.com/Utrecht-C...015785.utrecht

The divider measures 21.5 high by 48 wide, but the 48 includes a 2 inch wide pointed edge for about 2 inches high that honestly you can't see anyway from the trunk. You could get the thickness by getting the 1/32 and 1/16 thicknesses and gluing them together. This is all I have been able to find in single sheet sales that is reasonably priced.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: I went ahead and ordered a sheet of the 1/32 and the 1/16 and I'll let you know what they look like. 15.00 bucks what do I have to lose?
Good searching. You found exactly the supplier I was hoping to find. Perfect size and quality selection. Good Idea on the gluing. With your CNC availability, I'm sure you'll gain interest from not only 2nd gen owners. Fingers crossed on the match. If not, I have samples coming from setshop.com.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:47 PM

Found this place also:

http://www.repops.com/product-search...a=2&mo=84&yr=0

Not sure what the difference is between CA237DX and CA238

They look pretty good.

EDIT: Nevermind. Called Repops and first off they do not sell to end users and second what their photo shows is the just insulation which looks like it covers the typical black board. So it looks like it is the same as others are selling, but the Repops may be the actual.manufacturer.
https://www.scpcamaro.com/1970-81-Ca...-p/ca237dx.htm

Last edited by BCreekDave; 09-12-2019 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:57 PM

Received the panels from Utrechtart. The material is virtually identical to the original panel. It was very well packaged with heavy cardboard and corner reinforcements. It actually shipped from Dickblick which is a major art supplies store.

Due to the width being a bit less, the end result will be missing the upper "wings" that were there most likely to allow the assembly worker to "hang" the panel and keep it from sliding down prior to the rear seat install. These wings are not visible once the seat is installed so some small pieces of tape or even hot melt will hold it while the seat back is installed.
The Following User Says Thank You to BCreekDave For This Useful Post:
L16pilot (09-13-2019)
Old 09-14-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Received the panels from Utrechtart. The material is virtually identical to the original panel. It was very well packaged with heavy cardboard and corner reinforcements. It actually shipped from Dickblick which is a major art supplies store.

Due to the width being a bit less, the end result will be missing the upper "wings" that were there most likely to allow the assembly worker to "hang" the panel and keep it from sliding down prior to the rear seat install. These wings are not visible once the seat is installed so some small pieces of tape or even hot melt will hold it while the seat back is installed.
Great. You probably already checked this out, but Dickblick sells a 30-ply (~0.10) in the 28" x 44" size. I messaged asking if it's possible to order a custom 21.5 x 48 size in 5-10 quantities.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Measured my divider...looks to be about 0.090 thick. most likely a nominal of 3/32" originally.

For the insulator, look at the first photo you posted on the inside of the trunk. You can see the foam peeking out around the openings. Apparently it could either be foam or jute. I haven't discovered where or when it transitioned or if it was an either-or thing. My car was a Z87 car and it supposedly had "extra insulation" as part of that option package, but nobody has ever said what that actually is other than the underhood mat and the cowl seals. Maybe the foam was part of that?
An interesting thing I did discover when taking off the foam. There was a round cutout in the middle of the foam at the point close to the rear window. The only thing I can determine is the die to cut the foam was made for the cancelled Vigilite system where there would have been and indicator for the rear lights mounted on the package tray, like the '69's had.
Here's a link to a photo:
http://nastyz28.com/media/1970-z87-p...nderside.7756/
http://nastyz28.com/media/package-tr...ion-hole.7757/
There are several untouched '70 Camaros with standard interiors with good trunk pics that show the foam. One without a rear speaker and rear defog has foam covering both openings and what appears to the same type of knock-out perforation as the round cutout on yours.

Would like to give it a go at making one for myself. Mind disclosing what foam material you used? I'm leaning toward 1/4" speaker/filter foam.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:08 PM

I got the material from MSCDirect. PN 31940687. My original measured about a 1/2 inch thick in the uncompressed areas.
I made a pattern up in CAD off of my original. If you have access to a large format printer I can send it to you. You can plot it out and lay it on top and then with a very sharp box knife cut the foam.

Last edited by BCreekDave; 09-22-2019 at 01:11 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to BCreekDave For This Useful Post:
Mulsanne Blue (09-22-2019)
Old 09-22-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
I got the material from MSCDirect. PN 31940687. My original measured about a 1/2 inch thick in the uncompressed areas.
I made a pattern up in CAD off of my original. If you have access to a large format printer I can send it to you. You can plot it out and lay it on top and then with a very sharp box knife cut the foam.
That would be great. The school's shop class that I teach at has a large printer. I appreciate your help. e-mail to [email protected]
Old 09-23-2019, 11:56 PM

I am a REM dealer if I can be of help on misc soft goods
70 Camaro R/S Z-28, L-78, R/S SS
69 Camaro COPO "recreation"
Old 09-24-2019, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamarosRus View Post
I am a REM dealer if I can be of help on misc soft goods
The reason of this thread is that REM and/or others do not make or sell the correct divider...